Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Sync Speed dropped

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Hi 

I upgraded in March to fibre and received the latest WiFi Hub.

Everything was going great and after a few days my sync speed settled at 40.0 down & 7.1 Up

I was very pleased with this and no drop outs occurred and speeds were settled at this speed until about a month ago.

My sync speed is now 36.0 down & 4.3 Up and I am unable to increase this despite turning router off for 30 mins and avoiding repetitive turning off.

I am not happy and would like my sync speeds put back to 40.0 & 7.1 respectively.

Can this be done?

Looking forward to a response from TalkTalk OCE's in the next day or so

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi duggyblair

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 34.2mb. The line tests are not detecting any faults.

Is your router connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Hi Debbie

Thanks for responding o quickly

It is difficult to connect to test socket due to its position in the house.

I can do it but its not easy. Also would this achieve anything as I have never had a problem connecting the router to the extension socket in the past and as I mentioned the line coming into the router for about 2 months was 40.0 down & 7.1 Up.

It appears like the line speed has been throttled at the substation rather than the router. Is this possible?

why would the line speed into the router just change like that?

Highlighted

Hi duggyblair

DLM can change the profile and adjust the speed to get the best balance between speed and stability.

If there are errors on the line or too many re connections then DLM will slow down the connection so it's more stable.

Which router are you using? (make and model)

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Hi Debbie

I am using the new WiFi hub

I am pretty sure my DLM has dropped the speed but if it has, its taking a few weeks to improve it.

Can the DLM be brought back to 40.0 & 7.1 remotely by yourselves?

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi duggyblair

Thanks for your reply.

We are unable to reset DLM or change profiles this usually requires an engineer visit to arrange. I can ask our Network Team to take a look at the drop in speed, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Are there associated costs?

Highlighted

Hi duggyblair

There would be no charge for our Network Team to investigate. We would only advise of possible charges if we needed to arrange a BT Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Hi Debbie

On that basis I would like your Network Team to investigate

Thank you

What is the timescale & does it involve a home visit?

Highlighted

Hi duggyblair

I have asked our Network Team to take a look at this and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi duggyblair

Our Network Team have detected a possible issue on the line. The next step will be to arrange a BT Openreach engineer visit to investigate further.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Hi Debbie

What does possible issue with line mean?

Is it the BT line from the substation up to the master socket or would it include the internal wiring up to the router.

Therefore before agreeing to possible BT charges I would prefer to establish that there is no problem with the internal wiring.  To do this I assume that I will need to connect the router to my master socket and leave for a few days to see if DLM increases the speed back to 40.0 & 7.1 as they were previously.

Does my extension wiring have to be disconnected from the master socket during this period.

Thanks for your assistance so far

DB

Highlighted

Hi duggyblair

The line test has detected a possible fault. Would it be ok to connect the router at the test socket so we can run another line test in this set up?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Hi Debbie

Connected to master socket with internal wiring disconnected.

Speeds immediately returned to 40.0 down & 7.9 up

So it looks like a problem with internal wiring which I will investigate further.

I will post some news later

DB

Highlighted

Hi DB

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Hi Debbie

There appeared to be a problem with one of the extension sockets at the end of the run

I have disconnected it and everything has returned back to normal

BT would have found it I'm sure and would have charged me

Anyhow alls well that ends well

Many thanks for your help

DB

Highlighted

Hi DB

Thanks for keeping us updated, I'm glad to hear that the speed has increased 🙂

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Hi Debbie 

Yesterday I had 2 telephone calls from 0800 955 5544, one on my landline and one on my mobile, from someone claiming to be from TalkTalk regarding an issue I had with my broadband.

Because the issue had been resolved via yourselves on Wednesday, I assumed that there would be no further contact from TalkTalk apart from any further follow up on this forum.

I assumed therefore that this call was a scam and I told the person I have had no issues with my broadband and put the phone down.

Do you think this was a genuine call perhaps from your network team or was I right to assume it could be a scam

DB

Highlighted

Hi DB

Apologies, this will be in regards to the fault ticket I raised this week.

I can close this fault ticket now if this fault has been fully resolved? (still working ok since Wednesday)

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Yes fault resolved thank you

Best to be on the safe side though will all this scamming going on

DB