cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Sync speed dramatically dropped. Support told me they can't help unless I pay to upgrade router!

6 REPLIES 6
LorraineWright101
Participant

Hello,

Firstly, my partner is a networking egineer, so knows a lot about comms, so I don't need any hand holding with the basics like "have you changed the microfilter and connected to the test socket," I've already done those things.

Our VDSL2 sync speed has dropped from the usual circa 60Mbps to 15Mbps downstream. The upstream has remained at the normal 16Mbps. SNR margin is usually 6dB downstream but is now 21dB. Nothing has changed at home, there are no roadworks or building works going on nearby. I have even walked to the cabinet which is 500 metres away by road and can confirm there are seemingly no noisy works taking place

I have spoken to tech support using web chat who "ran some tests" and confirmed that the speed had indeed reduced and that is is now below the handback threshold. However the person informed me that they couldn't escalate anything further up unless I paid £30 for the latest TakTalk hub, (reduced from £120 apparently.)

I am no longer in contract and disagree with being forced to pay for newer kit just so TT can fix or diagnose my obvious line fault.  Can then even stipulate this?

I am seriously considering switching to Zen, who offer a far better support. However I am giving TalkTalk's community mods one chance to have a look at this for me before I lose the will to live and switch.

Divsec
Community Star

Hi Lorraine your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during tomorrow.

How long did you leave your router unconnected when you rebooted it?

How was your similar problem resolved last year?

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
LorraineWright101
Participant

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. The router is never unplugged, we leave it switched on all the time.

The issue last year was a couple of months after we went from ADSL2+ to VDSL2. The sync was fluctuating heavily, there was a slight hiss on the line and we ended up on a banded profile. TT managed to get an engineer to "fix" it, although they said it would all be done remotely. We never saw an engineer or had any other feedback other than to say it was fixed.

Divsec
Community Star

Hi Lorraine, thanks for getting back, I'm guessing the phone line is ok this time no noise etc.

The reason I ask about the router is a usual suggestion is to disconnect the router for 30 minutes and anticipate an improvement.

Maybe worth a try?

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
OCE_Chris
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Lorraine,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your service. There's no need to buy a new router, can you just confirm that your telephone service is OK and log this over to Openreach for further investigation 

Thanks

Chris

LorraineWright101
Participant

Hello OCE_Chris, thanks for getting back to me.

We've plugged an old phone into the socket and all is fine with that. No crackling or noises. The VDSL2 is still synced at 15Mbps download (it looks like it's gotten onto a banded profile for whatever reason.)

OCE_Chris
Community Team - TT Staff

OK thanks, I've logged this to Openreach as a non-appointed task, we should receive an update within 72 hours but if you don't hear anything beforehand can you bump the thread on Friday and we'll check for updates

Thanks

Chris