Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Sync speed throttling?

36 REPLIES 36
fothersiow
Participant

Unfortunately, the technical understanding of the telephone support from TalkTalk is so poor, i thought it might be worth trying a post here instead.

We have faster fibre with speed boost.

Our neighbours receive 60-70mb download sync speeds and our 'predicted' speeds according to talk talk are at least 41.7 - 55.7mb. (39.8 mbps guaranteed).

We use a draytek vdsl2 router most of the time (required for my work)- but I plugged the TalkTalk Huawai HG633 back in for a few days to allow talk talk to do some tests.

Both routers have shown a sync speed of almost exactly 30000kbps download.

It has been the same speed since day 1. The connection is stable.

It is connected to our BT master socket. Everything has had new filters on recently to try and isolate any issue.

It seems to me that there is some throttling going on.

Talktalk phone tech support are determined to send us a new super router which is apparently needed because our current router is 'old' (despite it being used for a max of 2 weeks since we started with talk talk a couple of years ago due to using the Draytek instead.

How am i able to get some higher level tech support in order to address this issue as it looks increasingly like we might have to move to BT to get some sense.

Attached are some line stats which might be useful hopefully.

All help appreciated here! 

Fothers
Community Team

Hi fothersiow,

I'm sorry to hear this and we can take a look at this for you. Please can you update your Community Profile to include your TalkTalk telephone number so we can look into this further. Please do not post any personal information on the Community.

Thanks

fothersiow
Participant
I have added our TalkTalk number to our account profile.
Thanks for taking a look!
Fothers
Community Team

Hi fothersiow,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Does your master socket have a test socket?

Thanks

fothersiow
Participant

Yes it has and i have had the router plugged in to it yesterday during phone tech support but it didn't improve the line speed unfortunately.

Fothers
Community Team

Hi fothersiow,

Thanks. Just to confirm, how long was the router connected to the test socket for as it can take between 24-48hrs for DLM to start making changes to the speed if the connection remains stable?

Thanks

fothersiow
Participant

I had the router plugged in for about a week by the time i contacted phone support.

Fothers
Community Team

Hi fothersiow,

Would it be possible to connect the alternative router so we can see how the sync speed compares?

Thanks

fothersiow
Participant

Hi,

I have finally got round to swapping my draytek router for the new talk talk router supplied.

It has now been connected for 3 days and the connection speed is basically identical.

Hopefully it is now possible to do some further diagnostics or something with the official router being connected. 

Thanks 🙂

Fothers
Community Team

Hi fothersiow,

I'm sorry for the delay and thanks for the update. When you connected the alternative router did you also replace the cables and microfilter? Is the router also still connected to the test socket? As soon as we've confirmed this then we can pass this over to our Network Team and ask them to take a look.

Thanks

fothersiow
Participant

Hi I can confirm that the router is plugged in to the test socket and i used the new microfilter supplied with the router.

Our home phone is also plugged in to the microfilter - but we are unable to do without this for any period time.

Thanks

Fothers
Community Team

Hi fothersiow

I have passed this fault over to our Network Team for investigation and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi fothersiow

The next step will be to arrange a BT Openreach engineer visit.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi fothersiow

Thanks for the Private Message.

I have passed your availability for an engineer visit over to our Network Team and I will post back on this thread to confirm the date and time of this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi fothersiow

Our Network Team have now advised that this fault has been passed straight to a BT Openreach line engineer to investigate further and we should receive further updates within the next 48hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi fothersiow

I've requested an update on this fault from our Network Team and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi fothersiow

BT Openreach have advised that an external engineer is scheduled to work on this fault this afternoon and have asked us to check back tomorrow for updates. 

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi fothersiow

BT Openreach have now advised that the engineer was unable to work on the fault yesterday due to no availability, I'm really sorry for this.

An engineer is due to work on this fault today.

Thanks

Debbie

fothersiow
Participant

Hi Debbie,

We had an open reach engineer visit on sunday to test our line.

He remarked that our line was in peak condition but that the connection he was able to achieve external to our property (cabinet to exchange most probably) was not working nearly as well as expected.

He thought we should be able to attain very close to the 80/20mb speed available through the network. Obviously our package is only for 67mb download, so he said there was no reason why we should be very close to that.

He promised to investigate at our local cabinet and exchange later that day and any issues would be reported on monday (17th). Unfortunately we haven't seen a noticeable uplift in speeds towards 60mb (still receiving 33mb average) and also haven't received any followup from open reach about causes or work still pending.

Could i ask you to investigate as i don't consider the matter resolved (despite an email from talk talk saying as much shortly after the engineer left our house).

Any information or progress on getting the speed we are paying for, much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jill

Fothers
Community Team

Hi fothersiow

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I will contact our Network Team now to check for the engineers notes/actions. I will post back as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie