Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Sync speed throttling?

Community Team

Hi fothersiow

Our Network Team have advised the following:

Sync speed is 43. 6 which is within the acceptable range. Line test is passing fine, no issues seen. However I have changed DLM from stable to speed which will be effective from 05/07.

Please let us know how the connection/speed is after this date.

Thanks

Debbie

fothersiow
Popular Poster

Hi, Sorry to need to re-open this thread,

but I have become aware that our broadband download speed has once again become much slower than it was a few weeks ago. - basically the same speed as we were getting earlier in the year. 

This time, it seems to be throttled by TalkTalk as our line is still reported to be able to attain the much higher speed we were getting.

I would appreciate it if you could once again look to see why we are having the speeds reduced as it is most frustrating.

I attach some line statistics from our router for reference.

Fothers
Community Team

Hi fothersiow,

Sorry to hear your speed has dropped again. The line management system (DLM) has moved you to a slower profile, it does this because either the connections is unstable or the error count is high.

Are you currently experiencing any problems with your telephone service? Any noise on the line?

Chris

fothersiow
Popular Poster

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

I can't say that i have noticed any issues with our telephone or internet lately.

Phone calls are all clear, we haven't altered any internal wiring or equipment and the router doesn't drop connection for days at a time.

Additionally a  BT openreach engineer gave our line a great bill of health in the summer when our previous speed issues were being ironed out.

Thanks,

James

Fothers
Community Team

OK thanks. Is your router currently connected to your Test Socket?

Chris

fothersiow
Popular Poster

Hi,

It is connected to the master socket but not to the test socket inside the face plate.

How long does it need to be connected to that socket for - ideally we don't want to be without phone for longer than necessary.

Thanks

Fothers
Community Team

It would really need to be connected to the test socket for at least 48 hours to allow DLM to respond to any improvement in connection. You can connect a telephone to the test socket too if it's more convenient 

Chris

fothersiow
Popular Poster

Hi,

I have had the router connected to the test socket for the last three days.

Unfortunately the download speeds have not improved.

I have attached a screenshot with the relevant DSL diagnostics on it.

I hope you're able to help with some further investigation now.

Thanks,

James

Fothers
Community Team

Hi James,

Is your router still connected to your test socket? DLM changed your profile in the early hours of this morning which has resulted in a speed increase

Chris

fothersiow
Popular Poster

Hi,

Yes i can confirm that the actual downstream speed has increased to 39998.

Also the attainable speed has increased to 49012. 

So i'm not sure why it wouldn't have increased to at least it's previous speed of 45mb but it is better.

The router is still connected to the test socket at this time.

Can you let me know if there can be further improvement to match previous speeds or if this is considered a satisfactory minimum for our line?

Thanks

James

Fothers
Community Team

Hi James,

This is the guaranteed minimum for your line but that's not to say that the speed won't improve further, DLM generally makes small changes then monitors before making further changes

Chris

fothersiow
Popular Poster

Hi Chris,

My line speeds have decreased again over the last few days below the minimum speed guaranteed.

Please see screenshot for current rate vs the lines attainable rate and line stats.

As i'm sure you agree, this repeated decrease in speed is not acceptable given that:

my broadband router is working correctly, Openreach replaced our master socket last summer and gave the line a good bill of health, the router remains solely connected to the test socket to remove possibilities of other line degradation within our property.

Please can you look again at what is causing this situation. If there are no courses or action left to take, we will sadly need to terminate our contract under the consumer protection regulations as soon as the line can be transferred to another provider.

Many thanks,

James

Fothers
Community Team

Hi fothersiow,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Is the voice service currently ok with no noise on the line? 

Thanks

fothersiow
Popular Poster
The voice service seems perfectly fine. No noise etc.
Fothers