Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Sync speed throttling?

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone from talktalk is available to have a look at the issue i have above from a couple of weeks ago please.

Thanks,

James

Fothers
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi James,

I'm really sorry for the delay in getting back to you and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Unfortunately we can't reset DLM here as this would need to be completed as part of an engineer investigation. Could I just confirm, what sync speed were you receiving before the speed dropped?

Thanks

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

hi would just like too add talk-talk can do a remote DLM  reset this is now possible and has been for quite sometime bazer 

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi,

Just to confirm, my line shouldn't be showing a fault as it is working fine, however the current line rate vs the attainable rate, and speed we get for several months following a DLM reset is much higher. 

Our current rate sits at 32397kbps down. Previously it sits happily at 45000kbps.

Just to confirm, nothing has changed internally in our property.

The BT engineer that has made two previous visits said this drop can be down to sporadic interference in our local community due to the makeup of the network being partially ancient aluminium based wiring in our village. 😂

He said to ask for a remote DLM reset as another engineer visit (especially at this time) would be unnecessary to get our line back to full working speed.

I attach our router DSL stats for reference.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this matter for us again!

James

Fothers
Highlighted

Hi James,

I'm sorry but we would need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further, the engineer would then be able to reset DLM if required

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid
hi , i have an ongoing issue with talktalk my sync speed slipped lower than it should very close to fibre cabinet your tech team in Manchester say they have done a remote dlm reset ie they request bt or to do a remote dlm reset are you aware this can be done
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. 

Well that seems like waste of talktalk / BTs money seeing as they seem to have to do it a couple of times a year, but if that is the only option then yes please let's get an engineer booked in again.

If it is the same guy as last time, he may just reset it from his phone like he did the last time without even needing to come in to our house.

Just wondering if you can shed any light on Bazers comment above which suggested a remote reset was possible as did the engineer?

Thanks,

James

Fothers
Highlighted
Community Star

Is your current sync speed above the guaranteed minimum? Even if not you may have to wait for a while, it is highly unlikely that Openreach will regard a visit for a DLM reset as a priority at the present time.

Highlighted

Hi fothersiow,

I'll ask our network team what the best course of action is here, due to current circumstances, I'll let you know when I receive an update 

Thanks 

Chris

Highlighted

Hi fothersiow,

Our Network Team have asked if you can try a 30 minute router power down to clear the current session.

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

I tried the suggested 30+ minute shutdown a couple of days ago.

Our downstream actual rate has now decreased to 30000Kbps which is slightly worse than before unfortunately. Attainable is still showing as 47886kbps.

I had an answerphone message left to contact TalkTalk regarding the issue, however no number to contact them on so have been unable to follow this up I'm afraid.

Hopefully you can offer some next steps as suggested by your network engineers, or can be passed on to BT to sort out please.

Thanks,

James 

Fothers
Highlighted

Hi James,

I'm sorry but we are going to have to wait now until after the lockdown before we can arrange an engineer visit as speed issues aren't seen as a priority at the moment, apologies for any inconvenience

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

At this time, we are placing more importance on our internet connection than ever, trying to do work and entertain a family with it as i'm sure you can appreciate.

Can i ask if BT aren't accepting engineer requests right now?

As i understand, talktalk seem unable to request a remote DLM reset without raising it with Openreach.

As we don't require an engineer to actually visit the property, i would argue that simply passing this on to Openreach could result in our service being fixed remotely - as they have done on previous occasions.

I can honestly say that following lock-down, despite your valiant and repeated help over the past year, we will be leaving talktalk as soon as it is feasible to do so without potential interruption to our service at this difficult time.

If the above isn't possible at the moment, can you suggest how i can most quickly go about receiving a refund for for the higher speed services which talktalk are currently unable to provide to us as we certainly don't need to be paying an addition fee each month for a faster service which is not able to be fulfilled currently.

All the best,

James

Fothers
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi, Just an update after i didn't get any response before.

Overnight our speed has increased to around 40mbps after a couple of months of running at 27mbps.

We've noticed the increase already.

Lets hope it carries on like this for the time being!

Fothers
Highlighted

Hi fothersiow,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault. Does your master socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket for at least 48hrs so we can see if DLM makes any changes to the sync speed?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi,

Our broadband has become quite erratic the last few days unfortunately.

We had been stuck on about 33mb download for weeks (just below our minimum predicted line speed) then it went down to 20mb last week.

A couple of days ago it was 38mb and quite unreliable, and now it's down to 28mb.

Please could i request an investigation in to our line please as we are getting a noticeably poor service again sadly.

The router has been connected to the test socket for almost a week for reference.

Thanks,

James

Fothers
Highlighted

Hi James

Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your service again. Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi,

So we have noticed our line speed gradually decrease over the last few weeks and be less reliable in terms of ping / jitter.

We are still connected to the master socket with no internal wiring changes.

Attached is our latest line stats.

I have just done a quiet line test on our phone and there is quite a bit of irregular crackle on the line which i believe could be affecting the line.

Hope this enables you to be able to get our line looked at. 

Many thanks,

James

Fothers
Highlighted

Hi fothersiow,

Thanks for the update. I've re-run the line tests now which are both clear. Just to confirm, is the noise/crackle present at the test socket with 2 different handsets and with all other equipment removed from the line?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

HI,

We have absolutely no internet of phone connection now at all. 

Additionally through live chat an engineer was booked for today.

I have taken a day off of work to get the problem resolved, and guess what...

NO ENGINEER CAME, then i load up this forum to be told its all working.

What an absolute farce! 

I hope at least given that i reported this at the weekend we can expect some compensation automatically?

Fothers