Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Synology DS214se NAS loses connection to WiFi Hub after couple of days

ANSWERED
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Popular Poster

For several years my Synology DS214se stayed connected to my Draytek 2710n router on my TalkTalk ADSL2 broadband system. I used it to access my photos over the internet using their DSPhoto app.
After I upgraded to Faster Fibre and now use the Sagecom FAST 5363 WiFi Hub. The internet speeds are good and in-house WiFi stronger, but the Sysnology NAS loses contact with the router after 2 or 3 days. The NAS does not report any error in it's logs, but I cannot access it. It does not respond to pings on the local network.

It has a fixed local IP address 192.168.1.9 and my DHCP pool starts at 192.168.1.10 so there should be no conflict. I have even tried setting the ip address as reserved, even though it is not in the pool. 

Connection can be re-established by either 1) disconnect the ethernet cable then re-connect it. 2) re-start the NAS. 3) re-start the router.  Either way after 2 or 3 days the connection will be lost.
Is this a fault with the Router?
Is it a configuration issue?

I don't believe it is the NAS because it was never a problem connected to my Draytek.

Any suggestions?

Highlighted
Community Star

Is your NAS connecting over the 2.4Ghz band or the 5G one? How do other devices connected to the same band behave?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @number5of8 your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during the day. I'd be tempted to go back to the Draytek and use the sagemcom as an access point. Best of both worlds

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Popular Poster

The NAS is connected to the Sagecom router using a short Ethernet cable. Sorry for any confusion by referring to it by it's TalkTalk name of WiFi Hub.  The NAS shows up on the routers dashboard as connected under wired connections even after it becomes inaccessible; no indication of any status change.

I have a desktop via wired connection and a laptop via wifi. OK to ping or connect to the NAS for a few days from any device from local network or remotely over the internet.  After that it then just stops does not reply. My thoughts are that it is something to do with the IP lease period, but there are no settings for that in the router.

Highlighted
Community Star

I assume that you mean its DHCP lease?

How does the NAS get its IP address allocated, by DHCP or is it statically configured in the NAS? If the former, have you considered using a DHCP reserved IP address via the router's configuration, if the latter, is the IP address you have configured on the NAS outside of the DHCP address range?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Divsec,

My Draytek 2710n was only ADSL2 so cannot be used on the Fibre (FTTC) that I upgraded to. It would have been useful to be able to try a different router but I currently don't have one.
I am tempted to get a new Draytek, they are great routers that have lots of good features, but I would be looking at about £270 for Vigor 2863ac. 

The Sagecom is a fast router with good range, otherwise not many features. If I can resolve the connection issue I would find it hard to justify the money.  If the problem can't be resolved, my NAS is not much use if it keeps going off line so a new router may be the answer.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Keith,

The IP address is static. The DHCP pool starts at x.x.1.10 ends at x.x.1.254. The router uses x.x.1.1.  I was reserving 1-9 for devices I would port forward to, like cameras and NAS.  The NAS is x.x.1.9.  This worked well over many years using two different Draytek routers pre upgrading to Fibre. I only have the NAS in that range at the moment. 

Does that answer your question?

Highlighted
Community Star
Solution

In that case, if the NAS loses all connection to the router locally (rather than any port forwarding/DDNS issue), I can only think it may be a hardware fault on the router. Therefore I will ask the OCEs to investigate this for you.

Keith

Highlighted
Team Player

I encountered a little weirdness when I tried to change the DHCP pool/range on the Hub and then set static IPs outside of it, for devices including a NAS.

In the end I left the range at .2-.254, gave the NAS a static IP of .220 in DSM, and also included a DHCP reservation in the Hub's settings, and it has been working okay since then. I can't say if this would allow port forwarding but it may be worth trying?

Highlighted
Community Star

I don't think that you have mentioned which WiFi hub you have, Sagemcom or Huawei? The former, if running the latest firmware V2808, is a little bit different when it comes to changing the router's IP address, DHCP pool & DHCP reserved IP addresses. I came up with a method that works all the time, but it seems like you have sorted it. Try the PF & let me know how it goes.

Keith

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi number5of8,

I can send another wifi hub to test with, to rule out a fault with the router, would you like me to arrange this?

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Yes, please arrange another WiFi Hub to test. It seems the best way forward to rule out or point to the router. 

Highlighted

Hi number5of8

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

The replacement router arrived within the 24 hours; 22 hours actually. Thank you for the prompt delivery.

I have made a backup of the old routers configuration, just in case.

I have manually configured the new router as the old one including port forwarding. The NAS is still configured with static IP x.x.1.9. I note the default DHCP pool is x.x.1.10 to x.x.1.254 so there should be no conflict and no need to reserve it. Just as well because the supplied firmware is SG4K10001400t which doesn't seem to have that feature.  I assume that the firmware will automatically get updated in the next day or two; this that so?

I have started using the new router and everything seems to connect to it without problem.  It will take a few days running before I can say if it has improved or fixed the problem. I will be away from home in a week or so, which will be the real test where I will be connecting over the internet to it.

You have conveniently supplied a free returns bag for my old router.  Do you want me to send the old one back to you anyway, or to establish the problem fixed first? If no change would you want the new one returned?  

In any case I would need to remove my passwords.  Would you want me to do some sort of reset on the device? I will return it, together with all the other accessories shipped to me, when things have stabilized.

Anyway, thanks for the replacement and I hope for no problems in the coming days and weeks. No news will be good news.

Regards

number5or8

Highlighted

Hi number5of8

Thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

If you power down the router then the firmware should update once switched back on again.

If you would prefer to keep hold of your old router for now whilst testing with the new one then this will be fine.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

Firmware automatically updated overnight. The IP reserve is now available.

The NAS has x.x.1.9 set as a static IP address which is outside of the DHCP pool.

Is there any need to reserve x.x.1.9 on the router?

number5of8

Highlighted
Community Star

No, because you already have it configured statically on your NAS.

Keith

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi Keith, the NAS is connected using Ethernet cable. Other devices all use DHCP and get powered up and down regularly unlike the NAS which is designed to be effectively always up so don't have the same conditions.
Highlighted
Community Star

Is there anything outstanding on this now?

Keith

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Keith, re your Post 19:

I don't believe there is anything outstanding now. The connection has not been lost over the last week. It is possible that my more than usual checking has kept it up; we shall see over the coming weeks which includes some time when I will access it across the internet.

Believing it to be resolved, I have marked your post number 8 as the best answer.

re Post 15 (OCE_Debbie)  I have also returned the old router using the helpfully provided returns bag and label.

I would like to thank you and the community for the help given.

P.S. I have just one comment regarding making replies to posts; replies may not follow the post one tries to reply to so could taken out of context, which is why I have included the post numbers in this one.