Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

TERRIBLE Super Fast Fibre Speed

29 REPLIES 29
dpcoy
Popular Poster

I’ve been on TalkTalk for a couple of months now & when first signing on with the super fast fibre broadband, we were promised that it wouldn’t drop below 50MB! 

I now pay money to barely even get 1MB on my PS4. 

Is there any way to fix this? Because I have seriously considered changing as the offer & promise provided to me haven’t come close to being met.

OCE_Michelle
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi dpcoy,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

dpcoy
Popular Poster

I have updated my profile

OCE_Debbie

Hi dpcoy

Please can you also add your TalkTalk telephone number to your Community Profile.

Thanks

Debbie

dpcoy
Popular Poster

I have now added it

OCE_Debbie

Hi dpcoy

Thank you for updating your Community Profile.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and the sync speed looks good.

Please can you power down your router for a full 30 minutes and then run a speed test using the TT speed tester so we can see the results?

Thanks

Debbie

dpcoy
Popular Poster
I just shut the broadband off for the full 30 minutes and have now turned it on again and did the test. It says I have 53MBPS of download speed and 18.7MBS of upload speed. 

However, I just did internet checks on mine and my brothers PS4 and I am on 6.3MBPS (download) and 53.5KBS (upload)whilst my brother is on 25.5MBPS (download) and 4.MBPS (upload).

This is far from the promised 50MBPS that we received. The only way I have slightly improved my connection is by buying a wifi extender & placing it in my brothers room. It sometimes jumps up to a 10MBPS (download) and 4MBPS (upload) but this should not be the case as the wifi we paid for said it would be around 50MBPS and we are struggling even getting half of that. 

Is there any at all that this can be fixed? 
OCE_Karl

Hi

Are you able to get full speeds when the ps4 is connected to the router with a cable ?

Are the speeds only dropping over wifi ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

dpcoy
Popular Poster

We don’t have cable so we don’t use it and since the routers downstairs it wouldn’t be possible anyway as mine and my brothers rooms are upstairs.

It seems that it’s the wifi itself and I think that it has actually been regressing as now, even my phone, which usually had a solid connection has been faltering the last couple of weeks

OCE_Karl

Hi,

Log into the router and manually change the SSID (Wi Fi) name of the 5ghz channel.

I often find it is better to keep the 2 broadcast channels separate.  For example, I have changed mine, and call one Home2Ghz and the other Home5Ghz.  

Some devices can drop the connection when the SSID's remain the same.

Also, you can try manually setting the wifi channel  for each broadcast channel. Try channel 6 for the 2ghz channel and 44 for the 5ghz channel.

There are apps you can download that can show the wireless channels in use.  For example I use WiFi analyser for Android to show the wifi channels in use around me and this allows me to set the least congested channel.

Give this a try and see if the wifi connection improves.

Thanks

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

ferguson
Community Star

Great advice from OCE Karl there. Bear in mind also that the PS4 has a notoriously poor wireless card (a check on your favourite search engine will quickly confirm this) which operates  only on the 2.4GHz channels. 

dpcoy
Popular Poster

Okay so I did everything that you mentioned in the previous post. Changed the name of the 2 channels. I even attached my ps4 to the 2Ghz channel as Ferguson said it was better for the ps4.

It improved, it jumped to 24Mbps which is the highest I’ve seen for my ps4 since being on talktalk. However, I’ve just come back on it again and it is back to 2Mbps once again

ferguson
Community Star

OK, your next step is to use a wireless scanner which should indicate other connections in your vicinity and let you judge which channel suffers from least interference, out of those choose whichever looks best of 1, 6, or 11.

dpcoy
Popular Poster

How do I know which channel is suffering the least interference?

ferguson
Community Star

Use a wifi scanner, such as Acrylic. That will work on a Windows computer. If you don't have one, what devices do you have?

dpcoy
Popular Poster

I’m not really that good with technology so I’m not very well equipped for these situations. I just downloaded this app called Net Analyzer on my Iphone and it gave my data but I just couldn’t read it.

I did notice something though, when I disconnect the family Xbox in the living room, my Mbps goes up. 

ferguson
Community Star

Your throughput will depend on how many devices you have in use. Sadly there are no wifi scanners for iOS devices, Apple don't allow it. I don't think that overall there is anything significantly wrong with your service, it is just wireless issues. You could try changing manually the 2.4 channels on your router between 1, 6 and 11 respectively and see which performs best.

OCE_Michelle

Hi dpcoy,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

dpcoy
Popular Poster

The wifi’s completely stopped working, none of my family members can connect to it. This is getting tiresome now as when we paid to join TalkTalk on fibre optic, we were promised a steady 50mbps but my family and I have been receiving barely half that and in my case, sometimes not even 1Mbps.

OCE_Karl

Hi

I can see 3 devices connecting at the moment.

Here is a graph of 2.4Ghz wifi devices around you.  As you can see there are quite a few.

You could try channel 4 or 9, but depending on where in the house the PS4 is located, how far from the router etc, you may want to consider a wifi extender so the PS4 is closer to the wifi signal.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips