would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

TP-Link Archer C7

4 REPLIES 4
robanderson609
First Timer

Dear All,

Has anyone managed to configure a TP-Link Archer C7 router with Talk Talk - I wish to use my own router, and not the DSL 3782.

Any configuration pointers would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Rob.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @robanderson609

The Archer C7 is a nice dual band router. But it doesn't have a modem so how do you propose to connect it to the Openreach network?

You'd normally expect to connect the blue Gigabit WAN port (marked Internet) to a modem WAN port.  Or any of the Ethernet LAN ports of the existing DSL-3782.

Gondola - Community support team

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

CookieUnicorn85
Popular Poster

if you want to use the TP-Link to manage your connections, you can connect it to the TalkTalk box via the ethernet port and set it up to manage the DCHP connections (i.e. allocating addresses to your devices) whilst disabling the DCHP server and wireless network in the TalkTalk settings.

This way all the TalkTalk box does is connect to the internet and the TP-Link will manage your devices.

I suggest doing this over a wired connection.  

KenBB
First Timer

"if you want to use the TP-Link to manage your connections, you can connect it to the TalkTalk box via the ethernet port"

This is confusing. My Archer C7 has an "Internet" port and 4 (ethernet) LAN ports. The TalkTalk router has a Broadband (ADSL?) port, a WAN port and 4 LANs.

I'm totally lost as to what your instruction is saying, not least because a connection has 2 end points and you mention one only! You say THE ethernet port and there are 4 (LAN ports)

It looked promising as I began to read, only to leave me frustrated once again.

Can you clarify this please?

Ken

KenBB
First Timer

Quote "you can connect it to the TalkTalk box via the ethernet port"

Confusing: What TalkTalk Ethernet port? There are 4 LAN (ethernet) ports, a WAN port and a "Broadband" (ADSL?) port.
A connection has two ends. The Archer C7 has 4 LAN ports and an "Internet" port. Connect where on the C7?

I thought at first that I had finally found some help, but it's befuddling my brain.

Ken