Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Talk Talk Speed Issues

65 REPLIES 65
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Its been a tiresome day with speed issues especially when the agent ends the chat when i am trying to assist in resolving a problem.  

Bayleyvilla_0-1598367439673.png

I think this constitutes a problem.

The connection has been ropey since around 09:45 / 10:00 this morning ( 25/08/2020 )

Placed a speed test on the line to run every 5 or 10 minutes here is the link for the results ( link is dynamic so if you refresh the page it will update )

https://testmy.net/stats/?t=u&l=1000&q=Bayleyvilla&f=1

So if anyone from Talk Talk want to pick this up and run with it please be my guest.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Bayleyvilla,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks consistent at the moment? Have you tried switching the router off for a full 30 minutes and then retested the speed again as this will reset the current session and can often increase the throughput speed.

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Greetings Michelle.

Numerous tests were performed before even contacting Talk Talk, the router was replaced as i always keep a spare. the speeds started to become more stable around 16:45 on the 25/08/2020 and as of the 26/08/2020 at 10:15 are now running between ( 42.36 D 14.79 U ) and ( 51.44 D 17.08 U ) Mbps.

This is an improvement but still below previous recorded speeds.

I do not believe that the line ( tested by Openreach and commented as good ) has ever reached its full potential, the profile I believe should be 80/20 but is recorded at 62+/19+ attainable rate. With the line classed as good and the distance from the cabinet 240m i would expect a service of 78Mbps allowing for some cross talk 15% i would be looking for a down speed of 66+Mbps. Talk Talk speed test is recording 50.7Mbps regardless of my estimates is this not below your minimum promised level of service. 

Highlighted

Hi Bayleyvilla,

Ok thanks for the update. Does your master socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket so we can re-check to see if DLM makes any changes to the sync speed please?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Greetings Michelle.

Yes i do have a master socket with a test socket. I have been using it from 10:45 on the 25/08/2020.

Early this morning 00:45 i powered down the router and reinstated it at about 06:21 ( approximately six and a half hours )

The problem remains the same, although Talk Talk may argue that the speed test that I use is probably not recognised for there purposes it is still repesentive of a problem with the speed the test will run for 7 days it is dynamic so the link can be refreshed.

Speed tests taken with Talk Talk speed test

Bayleyvilla_0-1598517882953.png

Bit slow I think.

Link to my speed test https://testmy.net/stats/?t=u&l=1000&q=Bayleyvilla&f=1

Please sort this out, there are no problems within the premises the master socket is the latest addition G Fast socket and the cabling is in better than good condition.

Perhaps a request to Openreach to reset the profile may be in order as the DLM had placed the download on interleave ( 789 ) which shows very little errors but the upload remains on fast showing significant errors.

Please provide me with a copy of the Guaranteed minimum speed details from the email following contract renewal or point me to the part of my account where i can find this. 

Highlighted

Hi Bayleyvilla

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can check/confirm the predicted speed range for your line.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi Bayleyvilla,

I've replied to your PM

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Following on to this matter it appears that the profile was reset, this produced favourable results as the speed and throughput improved.

At this point I still maintain the line is not reaching full potential.

So, its time to further, out comes the Spectrum Analyser, well what a surprise the line is not as clean as I was led to believe.

Let’s take care of my side where the Openreach cable enters the building

Add a BT80A to the end of the drop10 which enters into the building via the attic.

Change the BT provided internal cabling from the entry point to the master socket, cable used Cat6 FTP Solid PE External 100% copper ( Grounded at entry point only )

Change the router lead ( the lead from the master socket to the router )

Cat6 shielded and filtered rj45 to rj11

Shut down the router for 1 hour to release the session

Below see the before and after results

BEFORE

Before.png

AFTER

After.png

As we can see a vast improvement in the speed and the connection is also very stable.

This connection is now extremely close to what I would expect from this line and properly not worth chasing for the difference.

After all this work and the success it gave disappointment soon returned, the house next door had the tree surgeons in for the day, it appears that when they were working next to the overhead telephone lines there chain saw produced an unacceptable level of RF this was noticeable during telephone conversations and some point later being informed by my good Lady that the internet has been going off and for some hours attribute the disconnections to this.

Bottom line because of disconnections beyond my control the DLM has chosen to reprofile the line to interleave.

Please request Openreach to reset the profile on the line to restore the fast profile.

Downstream            

Upstream                

Kbps

Kbps

Kbps

Kbps

Fast

Fast

2. 8

dB

3. 0

dB

Many Thanks

Highlighted

Hi Bayleyvilla

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've checked the connection stats and I can see a high number of re connections on the line.

Is the connection still dropping at the moment?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Greetings Debbie.

The connection is now stable.

The problem I believe was caused by excessive RF ( a chain saw ) being used about 2 to 3 feet away from the overhead phone lines, the interference could be heard on the line during a phone call, when the tree surgeons finished the line noise went away, but it had caused numerous disconnects. This I believe has caused the DLM to instigate the Interleave profile.    

Highlighted

Hi

Yep, industrial equipment near a line will cause interference.

If this has stopped, DLM should restore the profile settings over 24hrs.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Greetings

I will be more than happy if the DLM restores the profile as shown below.

After.png

As this is quite close to the expected speed that i would expect from this line.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Well what a surprise, no changes here despite the comment that the DLM will return thins back to how they were, here is my speed test measured from an external test ( not Talk Talk ) https://testmy.net/stats/?t=u&l=1000&q=Bayleyvilla&f=1 as mentioned before this test is dynamic and refreshes every time it is opened.

Looks like a request to Talk Talk for them to request Openreach to reset the profile on the line is appropriate, next 24 hours will tell.

Before anybody comes back an says do this do that they have all been done, the only thing i cant do at the moment is to disconnect for 30 minutes or so to refresh the session.

Most of the time the connection performs well ( line profile below what i would expect ) but ok. My biggest concern is that when there is a potential problem it takes far to long to resolve, perhaps Talk Talk have so many problems they don't have enough fixers to go round who knows.

Talk Talk if you are looking at this this is what i am expecting from this line.

After.png

 This is taken from your own speed test.

Still slightly below my anticipated speed for the line but workable.

Highlighted

Hi Bayleyvilla,

I'm sorry for the delay. The connection now looks stable for the last 48hrs so hopefully DLM will now start to increase the speed. If there is no increase then the next step would be to arrange an engineer visit as they would reset DLM as part of a fault investigation.

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Today I have turned off the router for 60 minutes this should have reset the session.

then wait 30 minutes then run a talk talk speed test.

Bayleyvilla_0-1600181821535.png

This is still falling short of the previous speeds of

Bayleyvilla_1-1600181821540.png

This may also be below your guaranteed minimum speed ??

So Talk Talk wait 48 Hrs ( 16:00hrs Thursday ) I will post continued speed test updates and if no improvement back to

Bayleyvilla_2-1600181821543.png

Please arrange for Openreach to reset the profile as it is still on Interleave

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

16/09/2020 at 08:42

Bayleyvilla_0-1600242174340.png

Highlighted

Hi Bayleyvilla,

Thanks for the update. Can I just confirm, have you tested with both a Huawei and a Sagemcom wifi hub? Would you mind confirming which router is currently connected as I can't see this at the moment?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

17/09/2020  at  08:26

Bayleyvilla_0-1600327606670.png

Still not back to its original speed

After.png

 I don't believe that this is going to improve over the course of today.

Talk Talk can you please send a request to Openreach to reset the profile on the connection and return both downstream and upstream to the fast profile.

Here is the profile at present.

Bayleyvilla_1-1600327966014.png

This is how the profile used to be

Bayleyvilla_2-1600328059788.png

In answer to your question.

I have not tried any other routers as the router in use is perfectly capable of performing all the needs of a FTTC connection. It is an approved Openreach router.

( Draytek 2862 / Firmware 3.9.4.1_BT )

As explained earlier in the post the numerous disconnects over a short period of time were caused by tree contractors using a chainsaw adjacent to the Drop 10 overhead lines. The interference was so great that it was audible during phone conversations.

As they have finished there works on the same day the interference like them has gone and i see no reason why the DLM will not return to the Fast profile. It possibly requires some assistance from Openreach, thus my request that Talk Talk request a reset on the profile. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

17/09/2020  at  12:03

Bayleyvilla_0-1600340647419.png

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

17/09/2020  at  18:26

Bayleyvilla_0-1600363669974.png

OK things have not improved.

Please ask Openreach to perform a full reset on the line profile.

Upstream and Downstream reset to Fast please.