Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

TalkTalk Contract Renewal Speed Boost

9 REPLIES 9
strimmer01
Conversation Starter

I upgraded to TT Fibre just over 2 years ago. My package includes Faster Fibre, Unlimited UK Calls Boost and a Fibre Speed Boost.

My contract is due for renewal in early January.

I currently receive consistently a download speed of 39Mbps at my router.

On receiving promotional emails from TT I have started looking at Contract Renewal.

The bizarre bit - Talking extensively to TT, including Contract Renewals and Technical Support, it seems that my FIBRE SPEED BOOST is not working properly (my location / distance to cabinet) and is “continually dropping out.” TT will therefore not allow me to renew the Fibre Speed Boost. However, it also appears that although the boost isn’t “working properly” today, when I renew my contract it will be switched off and my speed is then likely to decrease, potentially significantly (to 16 to 34mbps! - From today’s 39Mbps).
(Of course this TT Fibre Speed Boost which today, according to TT, isn’t working, I have been paying for since July 2018!)

So, if I renew with TT today it seems that I can expect my broadband speed to reduce, potentially by more than a half. (From 39 today to worst case 16Mbps after renewal.)

Surely this cant be right / sensible? I simply want to renew my existing contract without running the risk of a degradation in current broadband speed.

In this day, most people seem  to be getting speed improvements. I seem to be heading for an unavoidable speed decrease.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks.

KeithFrench
Community Star

With an ideal line and being within 300M of your fibre cabinet (as the cables run) the speed boost will take the sync speed up from 39M to 78M. If you are paying for this, then unless you live further away from the fibre cabinet than the 300M limit, you should be getting the 78M.

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

strimmer01
Conversation Starter
Hi Keith, Thanks for the reply.
I live in a rural location and can confirm that my cable run to the fibre cabinet certainly well exceeds 300 metres.
I have read that without a TT Speed Boost your speed is effectively capped at 40Mbps. The Speed Boost removes this cap. If this is the case then theoretically I shouldn’t be affected (at 39Mbps) as I’m still below the cap. However, TT are telling me that I could / will lose speed, potentially a lot, which I don’t understand. TT would have to do something to slow me down.
strimmer01
Conversation Starter
I can confirm that my cable length to my fibre cabinet definitely exceeds 300 metres.

I’ve read on here that the TT Fibre Speed Boost simply removes a 40Mbps cap. If this is the case, it does point to me being unaffected at 39Mbps?... Unless, somehow, TT are planning to slow me down deliberately?
KeithFrench
Community Star

Just wait for the OCEs.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi @strimmer01

Your line is in sync at 36mb and this is the best the line can achieve.

When you renew your contract, the speed boost will be removed. 

The speed boost will only change the profile from 40mb to 80mb, so if a line was capable of speeds in excess of 40mb then these would be achieved.

For lines such as yours that cannot achieve speeds above 40mb, then there is no point having the speed boost as it makes no difference to the connection speed so is an addition that you could be paying for when you do not have to.

Thanks

Karl. 

strimmer01
Conversation Starter

Thanks Karl.

My speed at my router is 39477kbps download (now - just checked). It is consistently at this speed and his been since I upgraded to fibre over 2 years ago.

If the speed boost is supposed to “unlock” additional speed ABOVE 40Mbps, (1) why did TalkTalk recommend I purchase it over 2 years ago and (2) why has TalkTalk continued to sell it to me in the intervening period.... if it wasn’t doing anything? When I took my fibre contract out TT told me I’d only get 22Mbps without the Speed Boost. From what I’m learning now this isn’t true if the cap is at 40Mbps.

Also, why am I now being told that TT will not now sell me the Speed Boost BUT I can also expect my speed to drop potentially as low as 22Mbps in the immediate future when I upgrade?
It’s beginning to sound as though TT are deliberately slowing me down to justify the selling of the Speed Boost previously BUT they’re not allowing me to maintain my current and previous speed.

Or.... Can you confirm that moving forward, without the Speed Boost, my speed will remain at what it is now (39Mbps) as I’m still under the 40Mbps cap?

Many Thanks

martswain
Philosopher

Removing the boost will not change your download speed, it just puts an artificial cap on the line, but as you are already under that due to your line's capabilities, then nothing will happen.

If your upload speed was above 10 (unlikely) then that will now be capped at 10.

The Minimum Guaranteed Speed is the level at which TT/Openreach will consider the line to be out of specification and take remedial action.

You will not be forced onto a lower speed, nothing will happen apart from paying less.

Martin
strimmer01
Conversation Starter
Many thanks for this Martin. Fundamentally I agree with everything you’ve said and this was the understanding I’ve come to also.

However,
(1) TalKTalk are telling me (this week) on calls to both Contract Renewals and to Technical Support (5 hours worth in the last 3 days - they should have the recordings!!) that my speed WILL “definitely drop.” This is fundamentally why I’m raising this question. I don’t understand why and by how much it will drop exactly. Two of the TT people I spoke to intimated that the drops could be very significant (half current speed!)

(2) Why on earth did TT originally recommend that I take the Speed Boost and even tell me as recently as only 6 months ago that without it my speed would fall off significantly - if it wasn’t doing anything.... Oh and also continue charging me for it for nearly 2 years!?

If I renew my service with TT without being able to continue to take the Speed Boost, I would simply like to know if I will suffer a reduction in my speed / service and by how much exactly. Not unreasonable?

Many Thanks.
Community Team

Hi strimmer01

Removing the speed boost will not cause a speed loss your minimum speed is 22.4 mbps, But you are in sync at 36 mbps, there is no reason, unless there is a line fault, why your line will not stay in sync at 36mbps.