cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

TalkTalk Router Firmware and Modem Only/Bridge Mode?

ANSWERED
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hello,

I have tried to use my own modem and router with TalkTalk. I used a Netgear DM200 modem but found that it would only get a lease of 15 minutes from the exchange which meant the connection dropped to 30mbps when I was paying for Faster Fibre with Speed Boost. By connecting my router back to the TalkTalk Wifi Hub it now gets a lease of a day and as a result I now have a connection of 61mbps which is what I was getting with Sky Fibre Max.

My router is the "FAST5364 3.00" router and currently has the software version "SG4K10002600t" installed - I wondered if this was the latest firmware and if it is not then how it can be updated?

Initially, I would like to use a different router with in my house - potentially a mesh system so that I can use all of the features including guest mode. I know that you can put other routers into "access point" or "bridge mode" but that means that I can't use features such as guest networks. I therefore wondered if anyone knows how to put the TalkTalk WiFi Hub into "modem only" or "bridge mode" so that I can get another router to handle the DHCP and IP addresses for the network. I tried turning off "DHCP" on the WiFi Hub but this just means that the connection does not work. If anyone could offer any advice with this then it would be greatly appreciated.

“The journey home, is never too far...”
Highlighted
Community Star

No TalkTalk router for a while now has supported modem mode, although they can be used as the initial modem/router.

There is much confusion over Bridge mode, this is not the same as modem mode at all. If you had a second router connected to the initial modem/router (normally via Ethernet), that second router would be put into bridge mode. This means that it has no routing capability at all & if this was ever connected to the broadband, because it is not a router, you would have no internet access at all.

Your WiFi hub is running the latest firmware, when any newer firmware is released your router would be updated automatically, you cannot do it yourself.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks for the clarification - it is modem mode I am wanting to enable. Incidentally it's the forum posts that I have been reading on this forum which led to my confusion with bridge mode!

I'm at a bit of a loss really what to do. I have an Orbi system which I am considering returning. We got it to improve the signal across the house and because it offers guest network, Circle family controls and internet security for smart home devices build in. However, in bridge mode the family controls and internet security are not possible.

Highlighted
Community Star

I am not surprised that you got confused over modem/bridge mode on this forum, I would say that a lot of people on here do not understand these two modes!

The problem you have with the 15 minute DHCP lease is down to your modem being incorrectly configured for, or not compatible with, the TalkTalk network.

Please can you elaborate on the WiFi problems, I have no knowledge of this Orbi product, but a lot of people seem to think, just because they have a poor WiFi experience, they have to throw money at it. Sometimes things like extenders etc can make the situation worse, than just using the router's WiFi. I can help a lot with this is if you want.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks for the reply Keith. Through a fair bit of research over the past couple of days I've discovered and learnt quite a bit. It seems that TalkTalk did once allow modem-only mode and it has since disappeared in newer firmware upgrades. I can understand the logic behind this but for more advanced users it is frustrating. One of the reasons I moved from Sky is because I had to use the router that they gave me and the fact that TalkTalk include a page on their website that tells you the settings to set up your on modem/router is quite misleading.

From my reading on the forums (where I found an official statement from the TalkTalk Network team) it seems that all DHCP leases for TalkTalk Fibre connections are 15 minutes for any modem or device. It was stated that this is linked to a limited pool of IPv4 addresses which TalkTalk has. I couldn't find the information in the logs on my TalkTalk Wifi Hub which indicated a DHCP lease time so maybe the official TalkTalk router also has a lease time of 15 minutes.

The wifi issues I am having is that the TalkTalk router doesn't reach to all areas of my house (there are some thick external walls) and I also have some wifi devices like security cameras in the garden. I also wanted features such as a guest network.

Orbi is a mesh system produced by Netgear and uses multiple nodes to eliminate Wifi dead spots it also includes features such as Circle by Disney parental controls and Netgear Shield anti-virus and security on-board the device as well as features such as a guest network which I can't do with the TalkTalk Wifi Hub. To buy the separate items to be able to do this would cost in excess of the price of the Orbi system and I wasn't keen on going down the extender router, especially since I have had very limited success with powerline adapters in the past.

Thankfully I have managed to get the Orbi to work using the DMZ mode on the TalkTalk router which has removed the double NAT issue I was having. This means I can continue to use the TalkTalk router to access the internet and know that it will be connected correctly and support but it also means that I can use the Orbi system as my main router.

Thank you for you replies and offers for help. I'm sure I'll have plenty of other questions during my time with TalkTalk!

Highlighted
Community Star

In reality, it is not the DHCP Lease time that is the issue. When the client (your modem in this case) gets to 50% through whatever lease time it is granted by the DHCP server, it is its responsibility to request an extension to the lease, which is normally automatically granted. Therefore to actually get a new WAN IP address, your modem is not requesting this, or its request is denied.

There are numerous 3rd party modems and modem/routers that work perfectly well on the TalkTalk network without this issue and there is no restriction on you using your own kit at all. However, I would always look towards one that says it is compatible with TalkTalk before purchase.

Any TalkTalk router on a stable ADSL or fibre line, will keep its IP address for weeks/months unless turned off.

With some mesh systems, the TalkTalk recommendation is to use your TalkTalk router connected to the line with its WiFi disabled & connected to the mesh via an Ethernet cable.

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks @KeithFrench for the replies and information.

Both of the routers I tried with my TalkTalk connection both had "Compatible with TalkTalk Fibre" stickers on the front. As these routers are compatible with TalkTalk Fibre does this mean that the DCHP license for all of the connections is 15 minutes? I understand they renew at 50% of the time and it should be seamless but I couldn't find definite confirmation as some users reported their was longer - and I'm not sure if they had just misread their stats?

Thanks again.

Highlighted
Community Star

Just because it said "Compatible with TalkTalk Fibre", I have no way of knowing if it is, you would have to take that up with the modem manufacturer. I think, but I cannot be sure, that the 15 minute lease is normal. However, as I said before, it is the client, your modem, that must request the lease extension, therefore the only thing I can suggest is to contact the modem manufacturer about this.

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks again @KeithFrench!

Just one last question - is it the modem or the router (if they are separate) that requests the DHCP lease?

Highlighted
Community Star
Solution

It is the modem that requests the DHCP lease extension.

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks @KeithFrench. I have a BT Openreach Modem on the way so I am sure that that will work correctly as TalkTalk used to supply them!