Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

TalkTalk Router not allowing me to connect via VPN

32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted
Participant

I really need to access my work server from home.  For some reason my router is blocking me, preventing me from working. I've read lots about TalkTalk blocking access and I have also read a lot of conficting info.  Some are saying it is not possible, some are saying it's a firmware issue.  I don't care how it's fixed, I just need it fixed, especially now with the virus and everything.  Please help.

I keep earning badges - It's like being in an episode of Hey Duggee!
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi butchface

Apologies for this.

Is the telephone number in your Community Profile the correct number for your line? (please do not post the number on this thread)

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Hi @OCE_Debbie 

Good job you asked as it wasn't correct!  It is now!  I'm at work now but will be working from home in the very near future and have to make sure I can access the work server.

Thanks Debbie!

Highlighted

Hi butchface

Thank you for updating your Community Profile.

I've checked and your router has the latest firmware and this should work ok with VPN connections.

Have you tried factory resetting the router using the pin hole reset for ten seconds?

You could also try splitting the SSIDs on your router and testing the connection between the 5gh channel and the 2gh channel, some devices operate better with just 1 channel selected. 

Log into the router  (192.168.1.1 etc ) and manually change the SSID (Wi Fi) name of the 5ghz channel.

I often find it is better to keep the 2 broadcast channels separate.  For example, I have changed mine, and call one Home2Ghz and the other Home5Ghz.  Some devices can drop the connection when the SSID's remain the same.

Also, you can try manually setting the wifi channel  for each broadcast channel. Try channel 6 for the 2ghz channel and 44 for the 5ghz channel.

Give this a try , test with both SSID's and see if the connection improves.

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Thanks @OCE_Debbie I'll give this a try when I get home this afternoon and report back!! 

Thanks!

Highlighted

Hi butchface

Thank you, please let us know how you get on.

If you could also test wired too to see if you experience any issues.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Sorry @OCE_Debbie still no luck...

Any other ideas?  thanks

Highlighted

Hi butchface

Apologies for this.

I can send you a different make and model of router for testing?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

That would be great if you could, thank you @OCE_Debbie 

Highlighted

Hi butchface

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Amazing!  Thanks so much @OCE_Debbie !  Finger's crossed it works!!

Highlighted

Hi butchface

No problem 🙂 We will get to the bottom of this.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi @butchface

I'm just looking at some of these VPN reports and trying to gather some more info.

Can you tell me that happens when you try to connect to VPN - any errors etc.  Does the connection succeed but then you cannot browse etc or is the conection refused ?

What VPN software are you using - Cisco Anyconnect etc ,  Microsoft Remote Desktop etc.

Can you also log into the router and change the DNS settings to use Google DNS - 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4

Does this make a differance.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Participant

Thanks for helping @OCE_Karl   I'll try your suggestions first but @OCE_Debbie has very kindly sent me a new router which was delivered today so I will try this if I still can't connect with the Google DNS.

We use Macs so we're just using the built in VPN settings rather than an app.  I can connect okay as the timer starts going, but once I press 'Connect K' to connect to the server and click connect, it just has the loading bar and times out sadly.

Thanks both!

Highlighted

Hi

No Problem 🙂

Let me know how it goes.

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Participant

No luck I'm afraid.  I tried your suggestion first @OCE_Karl but no luck, then plugged in the new router @OCE_Debbie kindly sent over straight from the box but still the same issue.  Connects to the VPN fine but can't connect to the server from there.  I tried my 4G dongle and I'm straight in so it seems it's the router settings I think.  I would use 4G all the time if it was quick enough!!

Thanks for all your help so far..

Highlighted

Hi butchface

Apologies that this is still ongoing.

Did you connect wired with the new router and also test wireless (splitting SSID's)

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Hi guys.

Tried the hard wired, changing the DNS to Google's splitting channel and still nothing..

Sorry!

Highlighted

Hi butchface

Apologies for this.

I have passed this over to our Products Team to take a look at this. I will post back as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi butchface

Quick question from our Products Team:

which VPN protocol they are using or how did they configure the VPN on their MAC’s?

Thanks

Debbie