Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

TalkTalk Throttling

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
First Timer

TalkTalk are currently throttling my broadband whenever i download. I should and usually have 40MBps, though when I download (lets say something on Steam) it gets reduced to 5MBps.

I should also state i'm in a two person shared household, between two PCs. We share the 40MBps until one of us downloads. Then we share 5MBps which, gets dedicated to the download-er, leaving the other with around 0.3-5MBps.

I have never had this problem before, with Virgin Media. We had roughly 60 - 80 MBps, and when something was download by one person it affected no one and download speed was at still 50MBps +. This was also in a five person shared household, which everyone could download something, and it wouldn't affect anyone else. 

I understand throttling and why it is done, but when it is happening everyday all day, it's stupid, and I believe it does not hold to any contract or services that I have signed and pay for.  

Please shine some light on this, as this is most likely the problem that we are facing, as we have tried the alternatives, feel free to recommend them, but we have probably done them!

Thanks to anyone who replies. 

Highlighted
Community Star

TalkTalk do not apply throttling. Are you perhaps mixing up your bits with your bytes? Ratio of 8:1.

Highlighted
Team Player

@Doyce001 Some more background would be useful, are you saying you've just moved to TT, were you running Virgin on the same 'wires', what router are you using, as Ferguson says it's unlikely to be TT throttling your throughput, could you confirm that you mean Mbps (Mega bits per second) rather than as your post MBps (Mega bytes per second) also I'm guessing you've already tried more than one download site. Some things to consider / test, have you tried testing when your pc is connected to the router via a cable, are you using a windows pc, have you tried using 2 different speedtest sites in 2 active windows & adding up the 2 download speeds and then try an active window downloading your files and a second running a speedtest also you mention 2 pc's so have you tried similar tests on both machines.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Doyce001

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
First Timer
They are, or there a massive flaw in their system for downloads for my household. Yeah i mean Mega Bytes
Highlighted
First Timer
Two different locations, that's why i understand the speed is different in total. Virgin was a on - off for two years, TT for over three years consistently.
And yes i mean Mega Bytes per second. Tested multiple sites while downloading, and different download locations, Two different PCs in the past it was up to three different PCs along side with a games console, which had similar results, though this was a couple of years ago.
Everything is Ethernet connected currently from a TT router.

The main problem really is the fact download speed goes from a possible 40 MBps to 5 MBps when downloading, Primarily. Second is the fact it take so much that the other PC can't use the internet at all. I also understand the download speed is shared between PC's, so the one downloading is in more demand, therefore it will get more dedicated, which is fine in of it's self, except when speed is reduced to what it is.

I went it a bit off on that then, I just want to make to the info is getting across atm. thanks for the replies as well 🙂
Highlighted
Team Player

@Doyce001 Hi, Yes been there with a single device hogging a router (circa1983) but I'm a little surprised in 2019 we might still see that problem. There are people who post on here with much more experience of TT routers so hopefully someone will post more info - What model router do you have ?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Doyce001

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Debbie