Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub Rejecting connections

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

I have a new TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub that I'm having trouble with. Various Smart Plugs, Smart lamps Mobile phones and Kindles will not connect to the Wifi, you can see them trying but the hub keeps refusing them. Some of the above will connect one day and then refuse to connect the next, others I just can't get to connect at all. If I use a wifi extender all items will connect to wifi and I don't have any issues. I've split the Wifi so there is no conflict between the 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz clients. The problems only occur for items stuck on the 2.4ghz band. 

Is anyone else having this sort of issue with this hub. 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Community Star

This is probably down to Wi-Fi interference on the 2.4GHz band, rather than a problem with your hub.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

The TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Go to:-
Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi 5Ghz gear icon > Basic

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "SSID" field. Then click "Apply".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Having said that, there is another approach which can be better, which is to use Band Steering. This will automatically move any 5G compatible device connected to the 2.4G band to the 5GHz band. To use this facility on the Wi-Fi Hub, leave both network names identical.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply. I've tried splitting the bands but this does not fix the issues. Today I had some but not all the 5ghz amazon devices drop off, the only way to get them on again was to reboot the router, turning the individual item on and off doesnt always work. If I do a Wifi Analysis using an android app it usually only shows my own wifi sources, modern house with lots of tinfoil around the outside! Occasionally I can pick up other Wifi sources but they only just appear on the strength graphs. Its frustrating and intermittant so I might just use my two wifi extenders to provide the 2.4ghz channel, I've got CAT5 sockets in most rooms so these give reasonable speed and coverage, I was hoping to get rid of these and just use the hub at the centre of the house but its not the end of the world if I keep them running.

If you can think of anything I should try I would be greatfull.

Regards

Chris

Highlighted
Community Star

To comment I need to see these screenshots from the analyser, as well as the WiFi network name (SSID) that you are using:-

Channel graph (2.4GHz)
Channel graph (5GHz)
Time graph
AP List

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Kitzbuhel2017

I can see that Keith is helping. How are you getting on?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Keith,

Here are the screenshots I think you are after. Buffalo2 is the TalkTalk Router and Buffalo is the name of the 2 extenders. The issues remain whether the extenders are on or off.

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Community Star

There is one of these on channel 5, it needs to be on channel 6. Other than that there is nothing much wrong with your WiFi at all. I'll ask the OCEs to get involved.

Keith

Highlighted

Hi Kitzbuhel2017,

Thanks @KeithFrench 🙂 

Would you like to try a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

That might be a good idea if you can arrange it. Whilst I've got a workaround its still not ideal and I would prefer to have a proper fix.

Thanks 

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thanks Keith,

I thought it was looking ok but its good to get confirmation from an expert.

Appreciate you taking the time to help.

Chris

Highlighted

Hi Chris,

Ok, would you like us to send another wifi hub or HG633 router?

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Another Wi-Fi Hub please.

Highlighted

Hi Chris

I can send the WiFi Hub.

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie

Profile Updated. Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted

Hi Chris

Thank you. The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Keith,

I've been playing with the new router and I think I've worked out what is happening.

When I first setup the new router I was getting the same issue if I changed the name to "Buffalo" with some of the phones being rejected when they try to connect, change the name back to the default and all the phones will connect to hub with no issues. So I thought job done must be issue with changing name.

I reset most of the smart switches to the new hub and no issues were apparent.

I spent the last hour resetting the last 10 smart switches and other devices and just as I got to the last few switches they were all thrown off the WiFi. The two phones I have at home started to display the access denied error. Looking at the hub we have got 33 items linked to the 2.4ghz band and I wonder if this is the maximum clients supported by the router. I haven't seen anybody quote the maximum number of connections on each band or in total but could this be my issue?

As the smart-plugs, Amazon devices and lights are always on and connected to WiFi its only going to be items that leave and join the network that hit any issues. I might test out fully turning off some of the plugs and seeing if this allows the phones to reconnect reliably. Otherwise I'll have to add my WIfi extender(s) back so the connections can be shared again.

Regards

Chris