Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

TalkTalk cancelling my account without my knowledge

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Sightseer

I’m moving house soon and TalkTalk have sent me a letter saying my account will be closed in October due to me moving and are charging a cancellation fee. However, I’m not moving until November and I’ve not contacted them about the move yet- 

How on earth do they know about my move? And why are they cancelling the account without me asking them too? 

I was considering continuing with the internet service in my new home but will probably switch if they are going to randomly cancel my account anyway. Ive tried ringing them but the call was cut off and now their system is apparently down, plus the options online relating to moving are also down. 

At this rate I’ll have no internet for a month and have to pay over £100 in cancellation fees, what can I do? 

Thank you

Highlighted
Philosopher

Phone and cancel the cancellation or use Live Chat.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-live-chat-team/ta-p/2230529#U2230529

If someone is moving into the property they may have placed an order which has caused the cancellation.

Martin
Highlighted
Sightseer

Thank you,

I spoke to TalkTalk and they said that my contract is ending early due to an unsolicited cease, most likely from the new tenants, and that they are unable to change the cease or date due to the new contract being from a different provider.

How on earth is it allowed for strangers to cause my contact to end early? I wasn’t called or even emailed about any of this. 

Highlighted
Philosopher

TT should be able to reject the other company's order if you advise them you will still be in the property.

Hopefully an OCE will get onto this soon.

Best of luck !

Martin
Highlighted
Wise Owl

Its not unique to TT.

My mum's moving and has exactly this problem although she's with Sky. The person who's buying her house has done it several times because there's a long chain and the completion date keeps changing. Sky have now put a block on it until my mum gives them a completion date.

It's why they've written to you...to let you know what's going on so if its wrong you can tell them so. 

Anyway I assume TT can do the same thing as the way I understand it the ISP have to release the line for the switch to take place so the OCE's can hopefully help.

It can also happen accidentally if people put in the wrong address when signing up.

Fritz

Highlighted
Sightseer

Thank you for your help but I contacted TalkTalk and they told me I have to contact whoever set up the sky account- as I have no idea who the new tenants are and the letting agent can’t tell me without breaking GDPR I’m a bit stuck with what to try next 

BB7D0D26-4018-4F78-9732-3C9F9ABAC418.jpegHere is the reply, I got when I asked them to move the cancellation date to November as they told me I couldn’t take my contact to a new address 

Highlighted
Philosopher

That's a bit of a bummer !

However, if they have asked for the service to go live before you move out your may well end up with their router and access to their phone line !

That could be a bit of a bargaining chip with the new tenants and the letting agent.

Best of luck.

Martin
Highlighted
Community Star

That advice is rubbish. It means anybody from anywhere could enter anyone else's name and address details, order broadband and then your current ISP would say "sorry, can't stop that" and you would be liable for charges? Patent nonsense.

Get back on to customer services and insist that you are the current account holder, you wish your existing service to continue, you have not requested a cease and any other order should be stopped forthwith.

The support team will certainly help when they are back online next week, I do hope you manage to get it sorted before then. 

Highlighted
Wise Owl

Yep, go with Ferguson's suggestion. Don't say you want it delayed until November say you're the account holder and you're not going anywhere just yet.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Thank you, I’ve tried to contact talk talk again after reading your advice and this time they said my details don’t match the records they have. I gave them the same details last time and they had no problem looking into my account. 

I’ll try again on Monday, just incase it was customer service agent being lazy on a Saturday afternoon. 😒😒 

Highlighted
Sightseer
I know! I was shocked when they said they couldn’t do anything. Anyone with an address and money to burn to cancel any random strangers contact.
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi @AlphaLLama

Did you get this sorted? 

I can help I first need to confirm some security questions. 

I have sent you a PM on the community. 

Regards

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi AlphaLLama

I'm really sorry the order has been completed and the line has been transferred this morning. 

Due to the inactivity of customer service team earlier in the week I will ensure that you are not charged a cancellation fee. 

Apologies again. 

Highlighted
Sightseer
I see,
Thank you for you time