cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

TalkTalk speeds significantly lower than stated, below 0.5mbps.

54 REPLIES 54
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Everyone,

Long time customer, first time posting.

Since Friday I've been experiencing a drop in speeds reaching my router. By Saturday these speeds were almost unusable. Looking at their data regarding speeds reaching ny router on monday morning (were working from home so need stable connections to virtual desktops, etc) when speeds hadnt returned over the weekend I saw that TalkTalk had noted speeds reaching my router had dropped from 35+mbps to ~0mbps. 

I then contacted TalkTalk to discuss this, normally they can help me fix issues fast, went through the whole dance of troubleshooting, turning off all devices and connecting various ways and repeating speed tests but ultimately it felt like they were testing whether or not I was being a silly customer. Frustrating but an understandable step to take, I've been in tech support before, customers can be stupid. Before attempting to solve my issue the chat assistant made a hard sell at me to try and get another 18 month contract and boost my speeds, (even offered me a deal that was more expensive than can be found being offered to new customers) to 60-70mbps but their tech support assistant advised ensuring that the issue with my line was actually solved first. Good guy, I like him.

During this chat I was assured that my speed to the router was fine and there were no issues detected, but I knew they had detected the issue (whether or not they had logged it as an issue) before I had called as I'd seen their data made available in the service center. It makes me suspect that either these tech assistants are being shown different, more favourable data or they are not being fully forthcoming with the information regarding my line and what has caused it to lose almost all functionality all of a sudden. I was told I'd have a chargable engineer come round or I could go bother the devices manufacturer..... TalkTalk... 

A replacement router was sent, next day delivery, (decent service if this works) set up, same result. 0.4mbps down 9.3 up with nothing connected but one laptop via ethernet, no change when using wifi. Tested each cable and nothing changed, tested each device and nothing changed, tested it in the test socket and it didnt change, No noise on the phone line, no visible obstructions or damage to the phone line outside (I climbed a tree last night to confirm) , decided to check back in before the 9am working day begins today (it suggests to check in between 8am and 10am when they are quietest online but the chat only opened at 9am) frustrating but understandable, these are heavy times.

I went through the same dance for about an hour and a half to two hours this morning, luckily I had rehearsed on monday so I knew all the moves; I tried to load the support with as much information amd the results of every test I had done to speed the process up. (its an issue with the line I'm almost certain) "I can see you have acknowledged the device you are accessing the router from is connected via ethernet, are you able to access the speed check page" I know you guys are doing your jobs, I feel your pain your script is not condusive to positive customer responses. I wish I could just post my whole problem and have someone use their own knowledge to help me than run through the pre-scripted processes necessary to assist in the deflection of blame towards customers.

After once again being told I could pay an undisclosed fee for an engineer to come out or talk to the device manufacturer today I'm at my wits end, this seems like the pre-scripted response to give immediately before actually trying something that could fix the line as this time this suggestion was followed by a "oh well we could try this manual firmware update" for my new router which apparently takes 24hrs to complete and can supposedly magically fix my speeds. Why is the paid for option always brought up before the more customer friendly solution in every possible situation here?

After pressing for more info I'm told this is for the DLM to restabilise. All I really want is someone to talk to me like a person and explain how this drop in speeds could be happening if the issue is not the router, the phone line or the devices connected to the router, as each of these things has now been tested and proved to be operational.

If anyone can enlighten me as to what is going on so I can figure out the best route to solve this it would be greatly appreciated. If talktalk suggest I pay for an engineer again I'm just going elsewhere because nothing has changed on my end, its them who seem to be unable to deliver the service and their tech chat team dont seem to be looking at the same information the service center is logging.

20200916_130237.jpg

Liam
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Lbow78

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 40mb.

The firmware update keeps failing, please can you factory reset your router using the pin hole reset for ten seconds, I can then try and update the firmware again.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your reply, I've reset the router, is it possible to be provided with an updated software image file?

Liam
Highlighted

Hi Lbow78

Thanks for your reply.

Apologies, we are unable to provide a file, we have to update the router firmware remotely.

The firmware update is still failing. I can send a replacement router, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

This is on my replacement router, is it possible both my router thats not failed for a year and this brand new one have the exact same issue?

Happy to accept a replacement if you think it will get me back to normal operations quickly, are my symptoms consistent with a known hardware error with tt wifi hubs? I'm just concerned that we'll hit next Monday and I'll be back on the phone with the same model of router exhibiting the same issue, as if life isn't like groundhogs day enough right now.

Liam
Highlighted

Hi Lbow78

Did you have the same issue with the previous router? (firmware not updating)

Highlighted
Team Player

I think so, I will try reseting and installing the old router at lunchtime and let you know when that has happened so you can see if the issue is present with that device also.

I'm still confused though as to why the service center logs different speeds reaching my router than you see when testing the line? I've attached an updated screenshot of my chart:

Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 19.48.40.png

Thanks for your help with this!

Liam
Highlighted

Hi Lbow78

Thanks for your reply.

Could you power down your current router first for a full 30 minutes and then run a speed test?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

That's it powered off, I reset and tested the old router in the process but no changes. Will update you when the new one is powered back on.

Liam
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

I've restarted the router and I'm still only receiving around 0.5mbps download and 9.3 upload speeds.

Liam
Highlighted
Team Player

20200917_135936.jpg

Please can I have some answers about this really baffling disconnection of information being provided and collected.

My speed to router chart has been updated, I'm not understanding why its accuracy is so off. This discrepancy in the data lines up perfectly with when I posted the first screenshot of it on a public forum, can this data be edited? I ask this as my router at not point yesterday was capable of speeds like 39mbps, I spent all day testing it. Yet as if by some miracle as soon as I had publicly shared my chart, speeds like this were apparently collected? where is the data for this collected from? why is it accurate to my experiences and measurments until I brought its existence to talktalks attention? I just want to know what the actual issue is and where this discrepancy is between my experiences, tests and data and TalkTalk's measurements that I cant replicate? 

Liam
Highlighted

Hi Lbow78,

I can't run a line test at the moment but earlier line test just show your router consistently in sync at 40Mbps so not sure why the graph is showing a drop in speed

I can see that an engineer has now been arranged so please let us know how you get on

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Chris,

The Openreach engineer confirmed that the line is fine and there are no issues on my end. He thinks its either the router (which he doubted due to it being an identical, new replacement for my last one) or its an issue with how my connection is working at your end. I showed him how everything is set up and how regardless of what came in to the router my download real speeds were a solid 0.5mbps. He confirmed this to be the case.

My router looks to be receiving a capped 40mbps down and 10mbps up, no issue regarding the line from openreach. The issue starts when the line reaches the router, uploads work as expected, typically 9.3-9.5mbps, thus my router has no problem reporting to you that it is recieving 40mbps from openreach in terms of download speeds. This explains why my data has been different from yours.

Either hardware fault or issues at the back end have impacted my router's performance and since saturday morning it has been only utilising 0.5mbps of possible download bandwidth regardless of which device/connection method, socket/router/cable is used. On Wednesday my service centre data began becomming corrupted or interrupted and stopped reaching you so the results it's showing are from your tests, not information sent after me testing the connection from my router. Since then the talktalk speed check page has not returned data to your tech support when I have used it.

Talked again to tech chat today for a few hours and they were unable to help further than asking me to plug my device into the test socket, and wait for a day. I asked the tech to try and push an update but the router is not accepting updates. I dont see waiting as a solid solution as the setup has not changed and I've only got the one socket, the master/test socket, my wiring is not the issue, this has been confirmed. why would things suddenly change in this 24hr period as opposed to within the first 24hrs since first notifying TT of the issue? I asked todays tech what else was being done to sort the issue and nothing is being done. talktalk still dont actually acknowledge the issue im having and want more proof. I'd love to help but if you cant get accurate readings from the router or push updates and the router is still refusing to auto update or send you real data other than confirming that openreach are supplying a good connection, how on earth is it going to be possible?

I'm wasting an insane amount of time on this guys, but your help is appreciated greatly. I know you can't just trust customers at their word when things go wrong but ive been going around in circles all week. It feels like your troubleshooting process is not designed to deal with this fault, it may be a recent change made on your backend leading to a new error, that is why you are not catching it.

Liam
Highlighted
Team Player

Just a wee update to say that absolutely nothing has changed so far on my end, any ideas?

Liam
Highlighted
Community Star

Staff are not working at weekends on the forum just now,  @Lbow78.  

Over the weekend you can use Chat, available from here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

Gliwmaeden2
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi everyone,

another update, on Saturday I went through the troubleshooting process with yet another tech support via the chat. They offered me a chargable engineer visit or to talk to the manufacturer of my router, them.

I attempted to cancel my account but instead an engineer was sent round this morning for no charge.

The engineer (nice guy) was here for a little under an hour, he had not seen anything like this before, He changed the master socket and confirmed what I had been saying to techs for over a week, my set up is fine, my connection is fine, my service from openreach is fine the issue is with TalkTalks service. We had a laugh as I was very relieved to finally have someone not doubt what I was saying, tech support were not able to see this issue, thats not their fault, but not one of them trusted me enough/was permitted to trust me enough to escalate this to people who could actually action any resolution.

More than a week at unusable speeds and several attempts to leave and I'm left with no improvement and I don't really know what to do. The engineer said he will escalate the issue, he tried to do so there and then but it was too early and nobody was on the lines, and if nobody contacted me in 2 days I should contact them.

Obviously another 48 hours is not something I'm keen to give TalkTalk as if I had just cancelled and swapped proveder last week I'd have been up and running faster than 48 hours with no issue, why should I give you more time to fix an issue you have than other providers require to get me set up? I need to know today what is being done to solve this issue as internet is required for work VPNs, software authentication, etc that make it a necessity for working from home. 

Liam
Highlighted
Team Player

Just received this text:

TalkTalk Update: We're just checking in after your recent engineer visit and think you may still be experiencing problems with your service. If that's the case we'd like you to check your in home set up. To understand how to do this please visit https://www.talktalk.co.uk/help/servicestatus/ for a step by step guide.

How on earth is this what is being sent to me? My home set up has been checked by every tech, both engineers, 3 routers, all my devices, the engineers devices. both engineers have confirmed that the issue is not on my end or with my setup. Does anyone ever read the case notes?

Liam
Highlighted

Hi Lbow78,

I'm sorry for the delay. Can I just confirm, did the engineers test with there own router and was the speed ok? I can see that you've tested with a different router, however was this a different make and model of router?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi, Yes both engineers checked with their own routers and verified the issue. I spent 2 hours on chat and another couple on the phone yesterday, it didnt get me any further, I was told I'd be emailed a guide to performing pin and traceroutes but that didnt come after all that time, mental. I researched them anyway, Ive not got very far in understanding my traceroute but my packet loss is around 45-75% and I saw a tip that I could try a VPN and check speeds to see if how my data was being treated by my ISP was what was slowing me down. For the first time in what is nearly 2 weeks I was able to stream content steadily and get speed checks that were over 1mbps (first one came in at 5.5mbps). Still way way slower than it should be but these anecdotal findings may point closer to the solution than we have got so far.

Liam
Highlighted

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. I can see that the fault has been passed to Openreach, please let us know how you get on.

Thanks