cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

TalkTalk speeds significantly lower than stated, below 0.5mbps.

Team Player

Thanks for getting back to me @OCE_Michelle, I was advised yesterday to try my old, old router (hg633) overnight as that may be more stable, as soon as it connected it, speeds were measured up to 37mbps down, when I went to connect to it Via Wi-Fi on another device it was no longer there instead there was another TalkTalk connection listed, not one that is normally present, and not one that corresponded to any of the routers I have in the house.

I went back to the router and it had turned off (I previously had 2 hg633s but at least one of them was faulty, I'm afraid I cant rule this one out as the faulty one or find the other one to retry). The TalkTalk engineer on monday had tried the same hg633 model new out of box and had no luck getting anything above 0.5mbs, but my connection was definetly working via ethernet for at least a solid 2mins while I ran tests before I attempted to locate the router via Wi-Fi.

When switching back to my previous router (not the replacement one that is unable to update, my original TThub which is up to date) couldn't make a connection at all for a while, after rebooting I'm back to 0.5mbps but the mystery wifi connection for what im presuming is my neighbours Wi-Fi hub disappeared.

I'm hoping this is further pointing towards the issue that I'm having. Thanks for your help.

Liam
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi,

Thanks for the additional information. Can I just confirm, you mention 37mb speed when connecting the HG633 router, was this wired or wireless speed? Did you try factory resetting the HG633 router and setting it up again?

Thanks

Team Player

I've realised that test was ran with my VPN active, sorry I should have specified that, the HG633 wont power back on after that initial connection. I think it's the DC socket as the light will come on to power if you rotate the jack but isn't stable enough to hold until it can reconnect. I just ran similar tests on my original, up-to-date TThub with a wireless connection to my desktop and with my VPN active on the Talktalk.co.uk/speedcheck page I'm getting 36+mbps down and 9 mbps up..... Hmmmmmm.... 

I had a guy from EE cold call me yesterday, he was suggesting that this was throttling, but I read that you guys don't do this on purpose, he was maybe just trying to make a sale. 

Liam

Hi,

Ok thanks for confirming. Please let me know what Openreach advise and if this is still happening following this then I can check with our Network Team what the next step will be.

Thanks

Team Player

Thanks @OCE_Michelle, thats the openreach engineer been, will be coming back and hes going to call in about it. He confirmed the line is fine, and that this is a backend issue, I have shown him how the router is behaving and illustrated how the VPN is correcting the behaviour. He's going to try and get everything escalated to the network team to investigate but faces an uphill battle as the last two engineers have yet to be able to discuss the issue with the correct team. The first engineer (openreach) said the issue was the router or the backend, but talktalk only wanted to focus on the router, despite it being an identical replacement, the second engineer(talktalk) ruled out the router, the replacement router and his own router, said it was probably talktalk issue, tried to call but was unfortunetly too early to contact the team and was dismissed by support later on as having not submitted enough data or the right data, or something vague, this third engineer said "that sounds like its a TalkTalk issue" when I explained the symptoms of the fault. I'd like to make sure this is escalated properly to the right team, can you help with this please?

Liam
Team Player

Another follow-up, Openreach have left:

My router is running as should be expected when using the VPN over Wi-Fi. I was able to make meetings over zoom today with no issues, without the VPN though, the speeds remain 0.5mbps.

The Openreach engineer confirmed the fault is with TalkTalks equipment. He really persevered for several hours, back and forth between the cabinet and did all he could to identify the cause of the issue but couldnt solve it anywhere on openreach's end. He's advising TalkTalk on what the results of his efforts were, may have already done so. Can you advise me on what my next steps are? I'd like to have an idea of the sort of timeframe involved in returning my connection to full functionality.

Liam

Hi,

Thanks for the update. I've passed this additional information over to our Network Team now and have asked if they can check for any possible network issues from our side and also to advise us on what the next step will be and I'll post back here as soon as I know more.

Thanks

Team Player

Thanks @OCE_Michelle, I'll be hovering over the page. Still trying to work from home so this connection working is of significant importance, we're nearly at 2 weeks which isn't great for my partner who requires access to a virtual desktop to do anything, but her connection is so bad due to not being able to use the VPN for this. I work for myself so am truly at your mercy here, software authentication, sharing files with clients, even just the time I've spent on the phone/chat attempting to convince tech support over the last two weeks that they should pass this on to the network team. This is turning out to be a very expensive service despite the low monthly costs and waved engineer fees.

Liam

Hi,

No I understand and I'm really sorry. I'll post back as soon as they come back to me. It's possible that they may also try and contacting you directly.

Thanks

Team Player

Thanks for your help with this @OCE_Michelle, I've not heard anything yet but anything you can pass along will be helpful.

Sorry if I'm being pushy, I need to know if this is something sortable before tomorrow (this afternoon ideally as EE will be calling me back and if this is something you can fix quicker than they can establish a new connection I'll not need to speak to their sales team) or I'll need to take measures to change my provider and raise an official complaint unfortunately, at a certain point clients and employers are going to start blaming us for giving our ISP so long to correct an issue that was theirs and our mobile data can only help so much. 

Liam

Hi,

I've received confirmation in the last 20 minutes that this has been passed to our Tech Team and they are currently looking into this so hopefully we'll know more shortly.

Thanks

Team Player

Thanks @OCE_Michelle, much appreciated.

Liam
Team Player

@OCE_Michelle, I've just had a call saying my internet was going to be disconnected or something due to a router issue and to hold to the technical team. I missed this call (I need headphones on for work) but my partner picked it up, by the time I'd got to the phone there was nobody on the line. could you get them to give me a call back please?

Liam
Popular Poster

Hi ive been the exact same issue as you, started last night speeds dropped from 37mbs down to between 1 and 5mbs. Been on tech support for two hours, only for them to want to send a engineer out at cost to me, or for me to contact my device manufactures. This is after going august with a faulty line connection. ive had a guts full of them now so have decided to swap providers even though im still in contract, thats how frustrated i am with talktalk, going to cost me 77 quid but is worth every penny. I would suggest you do the same, this message board is packed full of complaints like these 

Hi,

Apologies for the confusion, was this an automated message or did they leave a voicemail?

Thanks

Team Player

Hi @OCE_Michelle I think it was an automated message that prompted for user input and due to the delay it timed out.

Liam

Hi,

Thanks for confirming. No this won't be us then as a member of the team would call. I'll check back in with them now.

Thanks

Team Player

@gareth adams While I respect your opinion, and even though I'm also about at my limit. I have a little experience here; it will take 2 weeks probably to switch and your issue of a faulty line in august is maybe linked to your current issue. 

Tip 1: call back, refuse to pay for the engineer, they will wave the fee if you are having an issue that is connected to their service or hardware. its likely that they will first send an openreach engineer who wil checl if the fault is on their line, if so a new provider will have the same fault to deal with. 

Tip 2: try a VPN whether or not you switch. I'm gobsmacked at how quickly it fixed my issue and got me back up and running. If there is no improvement then there's probably an issue with your line or router, if its fixed then you may well be having the same issue as me.

Tip 3: I feel confident that TalkTalk are now aware of this issue, which is actually quite different from most others I've seen on this board. The first 2 engineers I had out hadnt seen this before, the third had seen it only once, with another provider. If you are having the same issue, follow this thread, check the same things I have checked and alert TalkTalk to that on a thread of your own, feel free to reference this one.

Dont jump to throwing your money at them just yet.

Liam
Team Player

@gareth adams Try a vpn first, I vouch for surfshark, very easy to use.

Liam
Popular Poster

Yeah im in the process of downloading a vpn just to try thanks for the tip. I dont think that its connected to previous issues, because that was a problem at the exchange which the engineer confirmed to me. That was a wire connection not connected properly causing the speed to drop by exactly half, with no dial tone. Still took 3 engineers to fix that. Ive decided to go ahead with provider swap, got a deal with plusnet. To be honest i cant do talktalk anymore im happy to take the hit just to get away from them. I hope they can sort your problems out mate.