cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Talktalk engineer not returned to connect the fibre

JDean16
Whizz Kid

Yes, thank you, I have checked the Transaction history in My Account.

It was kind of  @Gliwmaeden2 to re-escalate the thread. I had been posting on it so thought that it was active. 

JDean16
Whizz Kid

Thank you for applying the credit.

Do you know if we will receive other credits for the fibre not happening when we were told it would be happening (specifically the date in June)? and for other missed appointment /s?

OCE_Arne
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi JDean16

The auto compensation scheme was scaled back during covid for obvious reasons, Its is slowly coming back as we return to some normality.  But as far as I can see there is nothing waiting to be applied. 

Sorry. 

JDean16
Whizz Kid

That is disappointing.

Thank you for checking.

I am not sure if I was told what the compensation was for. I know there was at least one occasion when we stayed in for an engineer who did not come and in the middle of June we had a long telephone call from Talk Talk, to the effect that  fibre would be connected, but that did not happen either; instead of which we were changed from fast broadband to fast broadband; you are aware of the inappropriate charging for that which you arranged for the refunds.

I have found the email. It was dated 4th August:

"

Here at TalkTalk, we’re committed to delivering a reliable service at a fair, fixed price for everyone. Whether it’s the broadband you need, the TV you love or the calls that connect you.

We know we haven’t provided you with the level of service we pride ourselves on, so to apologise for the missed engineer appointment that occurred, we’re going to add a credit to your account.
What you'll receive
Reason

Amount
Missed Engineer Appointment

£25.00"
OCE_Arne

Hi @JDean16

On the 4th August your compensation was applied for the missed appointment.  

**post edited**

JDean16
Whizz Kid

Thank you. I wonder to which missed appointment it applied.

JDean16
Whizz Kid

On 9th September I read someone else being given help to use live chat so decided to use live chat myself: explained, hopefully concisely, what had happened since we moved house in March, and asked "Are you able to correct the matter so that we are not paying more for fast broadband than we used to pay for fibre?". After having received an apology for inconvenience caused, I was offered an upgrade to faster fibre (that we were on before we moved house), that would take effect on 18th September. We accepted the offer though, after previous assertions that it would happen, we wait and see, with hope, and look forward to receiving the welcome pack in the post.

I shall update this on or after 18th September.

OCE_Michelle

Morning,

Thanks for the update and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

JDean16
Whizz Kid

We have Fibre.
Speeds are varying from the speed tests: 43, 19, 25, 39. Maybe it takes time to settle down.

If anyone can tell me why it did not happen nearly six months ago, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din, as the saying goes, because it is beyond my comprehension having suffered months of stress.

When someone tells me how to do this, I shall mark the thread as finished / completed.

ferguson
Community Star

Variable speed tests are not uncommon, especially if you are using wireless devices. Is the connection stable and showing the speed expected in your router?

JDean16
Whizz Kid

Thank you for your reply.

The connection seems stable, so far.

The estimated speed according to https://www.talktalk.co.uk/help/servicestatus/ is 

"Est. speed: 35 Mb - 40 Mb". However that has been the estimated speed for the last nearly six months because something in the site mistakenly had thought we were already on Fibre.

ferguson
Community Star

Ok, keep any eye on things and feel free to post again if anything untoward occurs. 

JDean16
Whizz Kid
Thank you. I certainly shall do that.
After all this time, we can hardly believe it has happened :-).
OCE_Michelle

Hi,

Thanks for the update. How has the stability and speed been over the weekend?

Thanks 🙂

JDean16
Whizz Kid
Thank you.

It has been okay, thank you.
JDean16
Whizz Kid

I think one thing that will always puzzle me is why Fibre did not happen after we had a 'phone call from Talk Talk in the middle of June, telling us Fibre should be connected the next day.

Still things happened / didn't happen before and after then but now all is well. Bemused we may be still, but all seems well at present.

At our ages we can't cope with more confusion! 🙂

OCE_Michelle

Hi,

Thanks for the update. Apologies for the delays in getting this resolved for you.

Thanks

JDean16
Whizz Kid
Talk Talk staff asked some while ago if we wished to make a complaint. We had said no, that we just wanted the matter resolved; at the end of August, we said that the time had come to make a complaint.

In view of the situation since the live chat on 9th of September, we have decided not to make a complaint.

In that live chat was 

"Your minimum guaranteed download speed is <49.3> Mbps. If your actual speed falls below this please contact us and we will attempt to improve the speed."

I don't think it has reached that number so thought you should be aware of that.

OCE_Michelle

Hi,

I'm just taking a look at the speed now. I've run a test which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks ok. Are you connected wired or wireless when you see these speeds? Could you try switching the router off for a full 30 minutes and then retest the speed again please as this will reset the current session and can often increase the speed.

Thanks

JDean16
Whizz Kid

Thank you.
Wireless - two laptops and a printer.
Switched off the router for about 40 minutes and just tested the speed again - the results are quite erratic now!:
using https://www.talktalk.co.uk/speedcheck/ 40.4 9.3 42.7
and using https://fast.com/ 45 38 45.

The speed seems okay but thought you would want to know that it is less than the guaranteed minimum.

Is it possible that our telephone line would not take the boost?