Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Talktalk engineer not returned to connect the fibre

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi JDean16,

I've received an update from our Order Management team, the fibre order has been removed so that a new order can be placed. I'm just checking with our Order Management team, the best way to proceed 

Chris

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Thank you.

Re https://www.talktalk.co.uk/help/servicestatus/

"Your Router

It looks like your router software needs updating.

About Your Router

You have a D-Link-DSL-3782 but the software needs updating to the latest version."

Does this mean that the router sent to us is an old version?

Highlighted

I've checked and your router appears to be running the latest firmware version so I'm not sure why it's saying that 

Chris

Highlighted

Hi JDean16,

Could you check My Account and see if you can now place a fibre order. If you place the order it should now go through OK, if you have any problems please let me know

Chris

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Very confusing. In my Account, offers and upgrades, there is Fibre Broadband at the top and hovering down from there is Check Fibre Availability which I did and this appeared:

"You’re still in your contract.

You cannot renew again for 30 days from the day you started your contract. You can still manage your account here or see your latest offers here. You can chat online now to one of our experts, or call 0800 0491424 To manage your current package visit My Account or see your latest offers here. You can chat online now to one of our experts, or call 0800 0491424"

I cannot see where or how to place a fibre order.

Highlighted

Hi JDean16,

Thanks for trying this. It may be worth calling/chatting directly with our Loyalty Team to see if they can place this for you and to ensure that you get the same deal.

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

It is now three months since we moved house and an engineer told us that he would have to return to do the fibre.

We do appreciate there have been delays due to staff shortages from the Coronavirus situation.

From my post of 16th June: We had a 'phone call from Talk Talk this afternoon; I don't think we were told which department. We await the fibre being connected tomorrow, hopefully.

From my posts here, you will see that we have tried calling/chatting.

We do not know why we received a new router recently but connected it presuming it might be to do with the fibre. Now we are still trying to remember how to connect the wireless printer to the router.

We do not know the difference between Fast Broadband (from My Account) and Fibre.

We are getting rather tired of this. We are not young people.

Highlighted

Hi JDean16,

Apologies, would you like me to raise this over as a complaint to our CEO's Office and ask them to contact you?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Thank you. We were asked 15-05-2020 06:13 AM "Would you like me to raise a complaint so this can be discussed with a complaints manager?"

Our reply was "

No, I do not want to make a complaint.

We were with Talk Talk before we moved house, and have been for some time now. After moving house on 20th March, we were connected to the internet again on 23rd March and were told by the visiting engineer that he would have to return to do the fibre that was in our contract. By the way, we do not know the difference between ordinary broadband internet connection and a fibre one; perhaps that is because of being "elderly". If the fibre needs to be re-ordered, for whatever reason, please would you either advise us how to do this or re-order it for us. Thank you in advance for your help."

We do not wish to make a complaint.

From the 'phone call from Talk Talk on 16th June, the fibre was expected to be connected the next day, hopefully.

However, that did not happen.

Looking in https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/select-plan/upgrade it seems I could click on Faster Fibre. Is that the way of placing the order? Is Faster Fibre what we should have been having? Though it had just been referred to as fibre. And the FAQs are a little concerning.

Is there much difference between that and whatever we are on at present?

Since the 'phone call came from Talk Talk on 16th June, it was anticipated that the fibre would be connected the next day, hopefully, and that we did not have to do anything. It would be done at their end.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

"yesterday

Hi JDean16,

Apologies, would you like me to raise this over as a complaint to our CEO's Office and ask them to contact you?

Thanks"

If you did this, would it be sorted out quickly?

Fibre was something offered to us by Talk Talk before we moved house and we have no idea if there is much difference between that and what we have at present.

Highlighted

Hi JDean16,

Yes faster fibre is just the name of our fibre product. The speed of your current service is pretty good but you should see much higher speeds on fibre, Whether you would actually see a big improvement in performance depends really on what you use the internet connection for and how many people in the household are generally on line at the same time

Chris

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Thank you, Chris.

It's only the two of us here. We have discussed your reply and decided that, rather than wait any longer for the fibre connection, we shall stay as we are.

Moving house is a stressful enough experience, and it has been a stressful three months being told that fibre would be connected, then it wasn't, engineer's visits cancelled and it was rearranged (our knowledge of this was only from reading Talk Talk staff's posts here) and cancelled again. One can read through the posts here to see what has not happened and what should have happened.

We do appreciate that there have been staff shortages due to the Corona virus.

Highlighted

Hi JDean16,

Apologies for this. Is everything currently ok with your connection at the moment in terms of the stability, speed and the overall performance.

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

May I send a personal message to you, Michelle? I have just received a strange email from Customer Service.

Highlighted

Hi JDean16,

Yes of course, I'll await your Personal Message (PM)

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Message sent, Michelle, thank you.

Regarding the connection at the moment in terms of the stability, speed and the overall performance, we would say they are adequate.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I have just come across the paperwork that states "Your Talk Talk Faster Fibre will be installed on 23rd March 2020".

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I wonder why Talk Talk rang on 16th June to tell us fibre would be connected at their end hopefully the next day, probably without the need for a visit from an engineer, and without us having to do anything, but did not follow up this with an apology for it not happening.

Also, although I had posted that the internet connection was adequate, yesterday and today it has disconnected briefly a few times.

Although supermarkets have recognised us as being vulnerable, being of a certain age, there is nowhere in details here to put our ages.

I wonder why Talk Talk recently sent a router to us. Talk Talk hadn't sent one to us when we moved.

And still according to https://www.talktalk.co.uk/help/servicestatus/track-fault 

"You have a BrightSparks engineer visit booked.

The engineer will arrive at the time confirmed on the SMS you received."

We have not received such a text.

Also in https://www.talktalk.co.uk/help/servicestatus/

"Your Line Speed

Est. speed: 35 Mb - 40 Mb
Measured speed today: 17 Mb".

A proper apology would be nice. After all, why offer a fibre contract three months ago and then not fulfil it?

Highlighted

Hi JDean16,

I'm really sorry for any inconvenience caused by this issue 

The BrightSpark visit is showing on the system but it was booked for May and appears to have failed. If you are still experiencing problems with your service we can rearrange this 

The estimated speed of 35Mbps-40Mbps is fibre speed, it's probably showing this because you had a fibre order 

The fibre order wasn't fulfilled initially because the order was automatically cancelled, our order management team think this was probably due to a capacity issue 

Apologies again for any inconvenience. If you do experience any further issues with your service please let us know and if you decide that you would like to go ahead with the fibre upgrade our Loyalty team will be able to help with the order

Chris

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Thank you. There certainly has been much inconvenience and stress caused by this issue,.

Without reading back, I think that the BrightSpark visit was intended to relocate the router from the garage to inside the house. Well, as the visit did not happen, we relocated the router ourselves.

The Order Management team said the fibre order has been removed so that a new order can be placed. As the Order Management team removed the order, then surely the Order Management team could place it?

We are still bemused as to why the fibre did not happen after the call received from Talk Talk on 16th June telling us that it would happen soon, possibly the next day.

Also can Talk Talk staff tell me, please, why we received a new router recently.

Two consecutive days we have had to switch the router off and on again for internet connection. The speed of the internet has been appalling today but just in the last few minutes seems to have improved. 

Interestingly in https://www.talktalk.co.uk/help/servicestatus/status-check/results is 

"We suspect an issue with your broadband

We need to run a line test between our network and your home."

After that appeared:

"We're working on your fault

You have a BrightSparks engineer visit booked.

The engineer will arrive at the time confirmed on the SMS you received."

Is there a great difference in cost between whatever we are on now and fibre?