Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

The 10-day torture...

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Team Player

I recently switched my fibre supplier to TalkTak after being with Plusnet for the past few years. Naturally there were a few teething problems but the only one that really frustrated me was having to wait 10 days before my broadband service reached its full speed. Then I made the unfortunate mistake of accidentally powering down my router (when I intended to switch off something else). And to my HUGE annoyance I seem to be having to wait another 10 days for my broadband speed to recover again... ☹️

I know this isn't TalkTalk's fault of course (it seems to be BT's fault AFAICT) but i'm 100% certain I never had this delay with Plusnet. Does BT operate some kind of "preferred suppliers" system whose customers get a better service than everyone else's?

Highlighted
Community Star

You would have to ask BT. 😉

Openreach are now of course operating at arm's length as required by Ofcom, so that's alright then.

I don't know where you get the 10 day thing from, that was a feature of ADSL, but VDSL is different. Fibre connections start wide open and are monitored continuously for the first 48 hours. After that DLM should settle the line. Any further disruptions in connection will be dealt with depending on frequency, there is usually a minimum of 8 days to restore a single issue such as a user disconnection. 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi johne53

I'm sorry to hear this.

Can I just check what speed you are receiving when running speed tests?

Thanks

Debbie

Team Player

Thanks Debbie. At the moment it's dropped back to 7.6Mb/s. Because of my location, even the top speed I can get is only 11.6Mb/s so I was kinda hoping it'd get up there quickly!

When I first transferred to TalkTalk (just over a fortnight ago) it did take (exactly) 10 days for my speed to improve. For the first 9 days I saw no improvement at all and then, on the 10th day, it all suddenly sprang into life. I'm assuming the same thing must be happening again?

Highlighted

Hi johne53

Thanks for your reply.

We do advise to allow DLM time to monitor the connection.

Is the router also connected at the test socket? If you post back on this thread on Thursday then we can check the connection stats again to see if DLM has made any changes to the line profile.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Not in the test socket, no. When the speed increased last week, I unplugged my router from the test socket and replaced everything so I could plug it into my master socket (and obviously use the other sockets again too). That process only took a minute or two and it didn't affect my broadband speed (i.e. I was still getting the higher speed after I re-plugged everything).

But sometime later I accidentally unplugged the power to my router (when I intended to unplug my phone charger) and it was off for around 40 mins before I realised. Since switching it back on, my speed has dropped back to 7.6Mb/s and it's been like that for about 6 days now 😞

Highlighted

Hi John,

Your router is currently in sync at 11.6Mbps, could you switch your router off for 30 minutes then switch back on and run a couple of speed tests, at least 10 minutes apart, on the My Account speed checker - if possible could you run the speed tests on a device connected to the router by Ethernet cable

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Gosh, I'm so embarrassed!

Right up until yesterday it was showing 7.6Mb/s so it must have increased sometime during the night.

I guess I should have checked before posting, this morning 😳

Highlighted

It's no problem, just let us know if you experience any further problems 🙂

Chris