Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

The WAN DHCP client process has successfully been terminated on Vlan 36

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
First Timer

I have been having slow speeds and intermittent disconnections from the internet for several weeks. Wifi within the house is fine, just the connection to the internet breaks several times a day. Sometimes happens when the landline phone receives a call but also at other seemingly random times. This is making working from home very difficult as my office requires frequent Teams meetings.

TalkTalk website detected a fault and they sent a BT OpenReach engineer who detected a fault on the line, but could not identify the problem.

TalkTalk sent a BrightSparks engineer who detected a fault on the copper line close to my house (outside).

TalkTalk sent another BT OpenReach engineer who could not detect any fault. TalkTalk charged me for this visit, even though they arranged it and there was no fault with my equipment or internal wiring. I am unhappy with the charge, but that's less important than being unable to take part in work meetings.

Still the problem remains.

I've checked the router logs and frequently see this warning message "The WAN DHCP client process has successfully been terminated on Vlan 36". Many times a day. Sometimes it is exactly at the same time as a phone call came in, and also when I noticed the internet disconnect. But it also appears in the middle of the night when neither phone nor internet are in use.

I've attached copies of the logs from today, for example, when I suffered many disconnects from the internet, including in the middle of Teams meetings.

Please could someone advise what the problem is, or how I should resolve it.

Thanks.

15.09.2020 19:48:07 Warning DHCPC
15.09.2020 18:52:24 Warning DHCPC
15.09.2020 16:06:36 Warning DHCPC
15.09.2020 16:05:35 Warning DHCPC
15.09.2020 16:01:47 Warning DHCPC
15.09.2020 16:00:40 Warning DHCPC
15.09.2020 15:59:41 Warning DHCPC
15.09.2020 15:36:51 Warning DHCPC
15.09.2020 15:36:04 Warning DHCPC
15.09.2020 01:34:19 Warning DHCPC

14.09.2020 18:57:24 Warning DHCPC
14.09.2020 18:44:18 Warning DHCPC
14.09.2020 06:05:24 Warning DHCPC
14.09.2020 05:54:47 Warning DHCPC
14.09.2020 05:53:31 Warning DHCPC
14.09.2020 05:52:44 Warning DHCPC

Kevin
Highlighted
Wise Owl

There can be a whole host of reasons why this error happens but its often a line fault somewhere. If you can then connect the router directly to the master socket or even better the test socket of the master socket and see if it still happens. If it does then it's likely external which means its OR area. If the fault goes away then its likely an internal wiring issue and that's your area (chargeable if OR fix it). Like I said there can be many causes so just try to eliminate the easy ones first.

My best guess (and it is a guess) there's an issue with the drop line.

Fritz

Highlighted
First Timer
Fritz, thank you for your advice.
The router was already attached directly to the master socket, which anyway was replaced by the OR engineer only 1 week ago.
Nonetheless, I have followed your suggestion and have now connected the router directly (via a filter) to the test socket behind the master socket. I will wait and see if that changes the situation, and update this post after some time has elapsed. Thanks.
Kevin
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

OK thanks Kevin, look forward to hearing how you get on

Chris

Highlighted
First Timer

I followed Fritz's suggestion and connected my router directly to the test socket, with 2 TT routers (Huawei and Sagemcom), but the problem continued to happen. So it is very likely not my equipment or internal wiring.

At least 10 disconnects happened within the space of 1 hour last night, and a similar number happened this morning. A few hours of stability, then on and off all afternoon.

(Incidentally, I see different error messages in the 2 router logs. The Sagemcom reports "The Wan DHCP ...Vlan 36" message whenever there is a problem, while the Huawei says "WAN connection INTERNET_TR069_R_VID_101:IPv4 disconnected.(ERROR_NO_CARRIER)". I guess neither of these really means much if the problem is with the copper wire outside rather than the router.)

I called TT help again, and they confirmed the numerous disconnects, and agreed to send out a BT OR engineer again. As it happens, while using the help chat on my mobile, my fibre internet disconnected and reconnected at least 5 times during the help session! I reported this too.

The OR engineer will be coming tomorrow, so I will see if he can diagnose & fix the fault. I'll update this post either way. Thanks.

Kevin
Highlighted

Morning,

Thanks for the update and please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Highlighted
First Timer

Yesterday (18/09/2020 a BT OpenReach engineer visited. This is the 3rd BTOR engineer visit in the last 4 weeks.

He ran a test at my master socket, which detected errors on the line, with possible faults at 35m (near the pole) and at 250m (junction up the road).
He ran a test at the pole which passed.
He ran a test up the road, which passed.
He came back to my house, and repeated the same test at my master socket, which now passed.
He acknowledged that had not fixed anything, just performed tests.
He concluded that my house and the line were OK, and he speculated that the error was caused by software or configuration problems at TalkTalk's end.

I also pointed out that although my main concern was stability, my upload speed was very poor. (For the past few weeks, downloads have peaked at 32000 kbps, which is not great but reasonable. But my upload speed is typically 500 kbps, which is a mere 5-10% of what I'd expect, even accounting for asymmetric DSL.)
He confirmed this large discrepancy and considered it very unusual. He could offer no explanation except possible configuration problems at TalkTalk's end.

He advised me to return to using the newer Sagemcom router instead of the older Huawei, even though I repeatedly pointed out that I had been using that, and I had tried both to check that it was not a problem with my router hardware or settings.

After he left, I continued to use the Huawei and saw the same type of internet disconnect/restart multiple times that afternoon.
I then switched back to the Sagemcom, and the problem persists.

Unless anyone has any other advice, I will contact TalkTalk and see if there are any tests or changes they can do at their end.

Kevin
Highlighted

Hi homeworker,

Thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear this. I've re-run the line test which is clear, however I can see re-connections on the line. Would you like us to arrange another engineer visit for you?

Thanks

Highlighted
First Timer

Thank you for your response.

It is clearly an intermittent fault.

As I mentioned, since the engineer left I have had numerous disconnects (including while entering this message!).

I am also experiencing very low upload speeds which is interfering with work videoconferencing amongst other things.

However, I have already had 4 engineer visits: 3 from BT, and 1 from TT.

I don't see what will be achieved by another visit if he/she simply repeats what the others have done.

Please can you escalate this at TalkTalk.

Are there any changes that can be made at TalkTalk's servers (or whatever they're called) that might address this issue? The BT engineer suggested that was where the problem was, rather than on the physical line itself. If that is the case, then I could try another ISP and see if the service is OK.

Kevin
Highlighted

Hi homeworker,

Thanks for the update. I've passed this over to our Network Team now and have asked if they can look into this further. I'll let you know as soon as I receive an update back.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi,

Have you been contacted by our Network Team since my last post?

Thanks

Highlighted
First Timer

Hi Michelle,

No I have heard nothing from anyone except you.

I have had some good spells during the last week, but problems every day, some worse than others. Today has been particularly bad, for example, and I had to make a long work call by phone instead of Teams because the internet was so flaky.

Please could you chase this up with someone?

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin
Highlighted

Hi,

Apologies for the delay. Our Network Team have contacted me to advise that there is currently planned engineering work happening so I've asked them to confirm when this is due to be completed and if this should resolve the issues that you're experiencing. I'll post back again as soon as they confirm this.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi homeworker,

I'm really sorry, I've still not heard anymore so I've chased for another update on this now, apologies for this.

Thanks

Highlighted
Highlighted
First Timer

Yes, thank you, I spoke with them yesterday.

The agent mentioned that the engineering work had been completed.

(I'm not sure that is relevant, because I don't think it had any connection wih my problems.)

She acknowledged that there were still internet disconnects registering, and that she could also hear the crackling noise on the phone.

I am still experiencing frequent disconnects, and the router logs show the same message corresponding to the time of disconnects. Incoming phone calls often coincide with the disconnects, but thy also happen at other times, including overnight.

She arranged another BT engineer visit, who will be coming today.

I'll update this post with the outcome, though I'm not optimistic since the previous 3 BT engineers could not fix the problem.

I've mostly given up trying to use my TalkTalk broadband for working from home, because it is too disruptive, and have switched to using Vodafone mobile broadband whch has slower max speeds but so far has proved 100% robust with a steady connection, which is generally more important.

The agent also gave a number to call after the engineer visit to follow up, which is helpful.

Thank you for your continued involvement in my case.

Kevin