would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Trying to use router as second router

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Jonny_Rhodes
Chatterbox

Followed multiple guides to use a router as second router and can’t get it to work, turned off dhcp on second router 

changed the up address 

don’t know if I need to set as static ip or dhcp, even though that shouldn’t matter as it’s turned off right ? 

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

Have you seen my guide on this, which is totally based on working scenarios?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Jonny_Rhodes
Chatterbox

I haven’t seen it, could you link me to it ? 

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

I am assuming of course that these are all TalkTalk routers, as that is what my guides are written about. There are two, one dealing with using an HG633 as a modem.

Whilst they do not cover the Wi-Fi Hub, the same principle apply.

See the attached guides below.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
jmclevine
Conversation Starter

Are you wanting to use a different router and purely use the TalkTalk as a modem? Can you explain further what you are trying to do?

“The journey home, is never too far...”
Highlighted
Jonny_Rhodes
Chatterbox

I currently have a Wi-Fi hub and a hg633 I’m trying to use as a Wi-Fi extender, I changed the start IP address on the first routers dhcp settings and increased it by 1 

on the second router I turned off the dhcp settings and chose the IP address as the number after the first routers IP address 

that ip isn’t reserved for anything that I can find (on the hub the default start ip is 192.169.1.10) 

i changed the channels so they don’t interfere with each other but the second router wasn’t getting any internet 

no idea why 

Highlighted
chtechie
Team Player

@Jonny_Rhodes Presuming you've read Keith's excellent guides - I am running the Fast 5364 as the router & 2 other routers (1 is an HG633) set to Bridge mode (Logon as admin, click Internet tab, click Internet Connection, click Edit, scroll down to 'Connection Type' & change to Bridged) as my Wifi AP's and it works well. You must connect the boxes you use as AP's with an ethernet link to your router, you can do this by physical cables or ethernet over mains extenders - Although quite new to the Fast 5364 I don't know anyway you can connect the Fast 5364 & the HG633 Wifi to Wifi.  Hope this gets you on the right track to fix your issue.

Highlighted
FritzCT
Problem Solver

I think you need to look at the mode options on the 633...You need repeater or bridge mode. The set up will vary slightly depending on what mode is available.

Sorry but I don't know if the 633 has either of these options...been away from TT for a while and don't know the router.

The 635 can do what you want though. I used one as a "guest" wifi until it went pop.

Fritz

EDIT: Read the above, post came in while typing but it's the way to go

EDIT 2: Just found Keith's links. Follow them but if you want wireless I think you need repeater mode.

Highlighted
bigkenny
Wizz Kid
I have 2 TalkTalk HG633 routers running off a new Wi-Fi hub one is linked up from the Wi-Fi hub with a 25 Meter Cat5e Network Ethernet cable the other is connected up via some Powerline adapters so 3 routERs in total running through my house all on different wifi chs. This set up has been working fine all over the house. It might be easier just to reset all your routers and start again from scratch.
Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Jonny_Rhodes 

I have provided you with my guides & if you want further help you only have to ask.

Keith