would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Two router set up

6 REPLIES 6
LTGoldman
First Timer

Hello Talk Talk community,

I am trying to set up a two router configuration, I have received the sagemcom router as supplied by TalkTalk.  The official talktalk router is all connected up and working; however, I would like to set up a second router (Draytek Vigor 2850N) to connect wirelessly to the talk talk router so that I can connect some devices by ethernet cable to the draytek and have the draytek run all of its connections through the talk talk router wirelessly.  I am IT literate but I am not a networking expert.  I heard of WDS but i cannot seem to find any settings related to this on the talk talk router (there is a setting on the dratek for WDS and it is a router that is semi-buisness so it has a lot of advanced features).

So far I have set up the talk talk router as 192.168.1.1 and the draytek router as 192.168.1.2.

Does anybody know if this is possible or am I going to have to invest in a replacement router for the talk talk one?

Or are there easier ways to achieve this?

I could get a recessed skirting board and run a CAT7 cable to bridge the gap but if I could do this wirelessly then this is more preferred......

KeithFrench
Community Star

No TalkTalk router or many other cheaper 3rd party routers support WDS. The 3rd party one, to do exactly what you want, would need to act as a WiFi client to connect to the WiFi Hub. Then act like a normal AP for devices to connect to and/or supporting wired connections to devices. 

You would be better having power line adapters establishing a wired connection over the mains electricity between the two routers.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

LTGoldman
First Timer
I should have mentioned, I have tried power-line adapters and they didn't seem to work so I can only assume the circuits are physically separate between my lounge and bedroom. Also I have a shortage of power points so I have to use surge protected power strips to add more power points.

If I were to purchase a WDS enabled router then theoretically it would be possible?
KeithFrench
Community Star

I wouldn't like to say, as I have never tried one.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

KeithFrench
Community Star

From what I have read on WDS, I would say that the TT router would need to support it as well, because of changes made to the wireless frame control header. There are certainly no WDS options in any TT router and I very much doubt that any ISP free router would support this feature.

I assume that you are putting the Draytek into bridged mode? What happens if you put them close together so as you can link them up temporarily via an Ethernet cable?

Keith

rainbm
First Timer

Hi,

I've been trying to do the same thing recently (Use WDS to connect a second router wirelessly and also use the second hub as a wireless AP.

I am currently on John Lewis BB, and the Zyxel 8924-b10a hub they supplied does support WDS. However, when I took out the John Lewis contract I reconfigured my old BT HomeHub6 and continued to use that. I've tried connecting the BT and Zyxel routers with WDS but couldn't get it to work. I was able to connect them together using a cable and have a second wireless AP. All I needed to do with the Zyxel router was change it's IP address and disable DHCP. I think I'm right in saying that in theory you only need your second router to support WDS, but the Zxyel manual says that "At the time of writing, WDS will only work with certain other Zyxel products.

So I've just ordered a pair of Tp-Link powerline adapters to link the routers and if that works I should be good to go.

My service doesn't switch to TalkTalk for a couple of days, so I haven't had a chance to use it, but It doesn't look that great and the web interface is very poor compared to the BT HH6 and Zyxel routers. I think I may end up using one of those instead of the Talk Talk one if I can

rainbm
First Timer

I have a Zyxel 8924-b10a router that was supplied by with my John Lewis broadband contract. It does support WDS, but the manual says that "at the time of writing, WDS will only work with certain other Zyxel products"

I THINK that WDS should work if only second router, client?, "router" supports WDS, but I am by no means sure or an expert. I couldn't make it work with my BT home Hub 6