Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Typical download speed

34 REPLIES 34
Participant

Hi all.

My go live date was 31/01/20 and im really happy with everything apart from my speed. My minimum guaranteed is 44.7mb and Typical speed should be 50.8mb - 73.1mb. I am getting an average of 49mb which in my opinion is on the low side. I have had line tests but as far as im aware everything seems ok. Talktalk keeps asking about my set up and everything is just the same as when i was with sky and i was hitting 67mb - 69mb so as you can imagine im a little frustrated. Dont get me wrong i am so glad i joined talktalk because the wifi is the best ive ever had so im really happy, i just wish my speeds was a bit faster as they should be. Any advice would be great. Thanks all.

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi nicknick39

Welcome to the Community 🙂

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Debbie

Community Star

Hi @nicknick39 welcome to the community your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during Monday. Please check your community profile and add your landline phone number which is used to identify your account.

There are a few reasons for the apparent low speeds. 

1. The speed is always taken as the sync speed Check your sync speed
  2. Different ISP use different profiles to manage the connection. Talk talk opt for a Conservative profile aiming for stability rather than speed
  3. There is a good chance the sync seeds will climb as the system adjusts. 
I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Participant

Hi

Thank you for that, it is very useful information. I have just had a quick look and it says download speed is 61.6mbps and upload is 20.0mbps

Hi nicknick39

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 61.6mb. There are re connections showing on the line and this can affect the sync speed.

Is the connection dropping or has the router been rebooted?

Thanks

Debbie

Participant
Hi Debbie it’s been reconnected a few times due to talktalk doing tests etc...

Hi nicknick39

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you leave the router switched on, without rebooting and post back on this thread on Wednesday. We can then check the connection stats again to see if DLM has made any changes to the line profile/speed.

Thanks

Debbie

Participant
Hi Debbie

Thank you for being so helpful.

Sure I’ll leave it on and take your advice and I’ll pop back on Wednesday

Nick
Participant
Hi Debbie hope your well.

I’ve done what you suggested but unfortunately it’s only peaking at 51mbps. I know it’s above the minimum guaranteed speed and on par with the minimum typical speed but surely I should be at least getting to the 60mbps mark. I know it may sound like I’m moaning but it’s just a little frustrating.

Community Star

Hi @nicknick39 has your sync speed improved yet. Sorry if this is repeated but are you speed testing wired or WiFi.

If WiFi have you split your ssid yet? Split your router's SSID (wireless network name).

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.

Hi Nick

Thanks for your reply.

I've checked the connection stats and your line is still showing in sync at 61.6mb. Was the router left switched on without being rebooted?

Was this a wired or wireless speed test?

Thanks

Debbie

Participant
I am speed testing on my pc which is wired
Participant
I speed test on my pc which is wired

Hi Nick

Have you also tested on a different device?

Thanks

Debbie

Participant
Hi

No I haven’t. It’s the only wired device I have apart from my daughters laptop but she is in France this week, everything else runs off WiFi. Everything was up to speed when I was with sky so I don’t understand what’s gone wrong. Before I left sky I spoke with talktalk via chat and they said everything would be more or less the same, just a different supplier.

Hi nicknick39,

How many telephone sockets do you have? Is your router currently connected to your master socket?

Chris

Participant
1 socket and yes it’s connected to the master socket

OK thanks, is it the type of master socket with two ports, a dedicate phone port and dedicated broadband port?

is the router situated close to other electrical equipment that could be causing interference?

Chris

Participant
The master socket has one port only, I have to use a 2 port connection extension. WiFi hub isn’t by any other electrical equipment. Like I’ve said everything is exactly the same set up as when I was with my previous isp, nothing at all has changed. Could it be that talktalk hasn’t applied the correct speed there end?