Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Unstable Fibre Broadband

25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Team Player

For weeks now my broadband hasbeen extremely unstable. I should be getting around 25 mb per sec download speeds but this at times is down to 2mb per sec. It fluctuates and is not stable and is far worse during busy periods. I believe that Talktalk are throttling the service as when I test it early in the morning or late at night it works fine. Sadly I have another six months before the contract ends and I can move over to a different company. Having been with Talktalk for years, I find very sad and they seem totally inept in trying to sort this out. Totally sick of buffering and drop outs of service

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi pjj4263

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which has detected a possible fault with the landline service.

Are you experiencing any noise on the line when making calls?

Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi.

I have been testing using wired connections to my router and it has been unstable. There is crackling / noise on the line when using the phone. My router is currently plugged in.

Thank you for assistance in sorting this out.

Highlighted

Hi pjj4263

Thanks for your reply.

Noise on the line can affect the BB connection so we have to investigate this first.

Is the noise still present if you test with a corded handset at the test socket, with the router removed from the line?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi.

Sorry but haven't got a corded handset to test the line. We very rarely use our phone as you can see from our call logs

Highlighted

Hi pjj4263

Do you have 2 different cordless phones to test with? If you remove the router from the line is the noise still present?

Thank

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi. I have tried two different cordless phones and the line sounds the same whether the modem is plugged in or not.

As we hardly ever use our landline phone, it is very difficult to hear additional noise  as we use our mobile phones because those call are free.

Highlighted
Team Player

I have been carrying out speed tests at various times to see if there is a pattern. Early morning and late evening I consistently get 22/23 mbps and very stable. Late afternoon and early evening when your network is busy it goes very unstable and can drop to less than 1mbps and I get buffering when using catch up tv for streaming etc.  

Highlighted
Team Player

Can you let me know what you are doing please?

Highlighted

Hi pjj4263,

We can arrange an engineer visit to investigate further. If you'd like us to arrange the engineer visit please let us know and we'll confirm some details with you

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi.

My broadband connection is still dropping out at times. I would like this to be tested to identify a fault and corrected by an engineer

Highlighted

OK, no problem. If you'd like us to book the engineer can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details 

Thanks
Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Dear Chris

I thank you for your email.

Can you please confirm what tests you have made to date with relation to this problem. My broadband is dropping its connection and is slow at peak times and therefore may well be an equipment issue. Having worked in telecommunications for many years, I am happy to pay for an engineers visit if the fault is down to our property or our equipment , but I find it incredible that you are asking us to pay if the engineer does not find a fault outside our property. Does that imply that you believe our service is working okay? I look forward to your confirmation of what testing / monitoring of my line has occurred to date.

Regards

pjj4263

Highlighted

Hi pjj4263,

We've run NGA service tests on the line. A test ran on the 11th May failed because the error count was high (sync speed was very low at the time). A test on the 15th May passed and 29th June passed , I've just run another test which again passed but is showing a number of retrains over the last few days. 

I'm sorry but we can only arrange the engineer visit if you agree to potential engineer charges as outlined in the help article

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi.

Apart from one complete drop out of my broadband at 1300 yesterday, it has been more stable and I have been getting more consistent download speeds and not huge fluctuations. Not sure why it has improved but will keep monitoring and hope the issue is resolved. We have been with Talktalk many years and have been happy with the service overall, having had very few problems.

Highlighted

Thanks for the update, glad to hear you've seen some improvement 

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello.

Further to our last conversation our broadband has become unstable and is slow and dropping its connection. Our phone line is also very noisy (crackling etc). Can you please arrange for it to be tested and sort this out. We have been suffering with a poor service for months now

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi. Please ignore my last message. Have done a complete reset of wifi hub having unplugged everything and it seems to have cleared problem.

Highlighted

Hi

Glad to hear that you have resolved this.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Team Player

Sadly yet again my broadband is continually dropping out. Have unplugged everything, rebooted wifi hub etc and still very slow and losing connection. The telephone line is not losing its connection so definitely a broadband issue. Can you please test my line as it is impossible to contiunue to carry on with such an unreliable service