Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Update TalkTalk super router firmware, but now a fibre customer with WIFI Hub

13 REPLIES 13
kndusr19
Popular Poster

Whist I now have a TalkTalk WIFI Hub, I was previously a talktalk customer and also have a TalkTalk Super Router (think it is model HG633) which I used as wifi extender via powerline plugs. I know from my mum's router setting (is a talktalk customer) that the latest firmware is v2.00t for the super router. 

Unfortunately my super router is still on v1.21t, is it possible to get the latest firmware for my router that I am using as a wifi extender? Is it only possible for the TalkTalk OCEs to update that router if I set it as the main router instead of as an extended router on 192.168.0.2 ?

Thanks in advance

Community Team

Hi kndusr19,

We can update the firmware on the HG633 router for you. Just to confirm, is the HG633 router connected at the moment?

Thanks

Highlighted
kndusr19
Popular Poster

Hi OCE_Michelle,

That is great. The HG633 (http://192.168.0.2/) is connected at the moment to my LAN but is connected via power plugs to the WIFI Hub (http://192.168.0.1/) and has remote management enabled.

Thank You

Community Team

Hi kndusr19,

I think you'll have to connect the HG633 directly to the telephone socket bypassing the wifi hub as I can currently see the wifi hub but not the HG633

Chris

kndusr19
Popular Poster

Hi Chris,

I have directly connected the HG633 to the phone socket now. Can you try again please?

Thank You

Community Team

Hi kndusr19

Apologies I'm still unable to connect to your router.

Please can you factory reset the HG633 router using the pin hole reset for ten seconds, I can then try this again.

Thanks

Debbie

kndusr19
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

I have looked at my HG633 router and can now see that it has the latest firmware of v2.00t, so I think it might have worked. I can see options within the router that were not there before with the previous firmware. I don't want to do a factory reset and lose my custom settings, but have done a reboot of the router and all is working well.

Thanks for your help.

MI

Community Team

Hi kndusr19,

Thanks for the update and please let us know how the connection compares 🙂

Thanks

kndusr19
Popular Poster

I have always had a great connection and reliability with the talktalk super router (even with the old firmware) and have not noticed anything too different now, so cannot complain. Thanks again

JohnIrvine
Team Player

Hi kndusr19,

Just as a matter of interest how do the broadband download & upload speeds compare between the HG633 and new wifi hub?

I ask because with my superfast fibre connection it's down by about 30% with the new wifi hub.

Cheers,

John

kndusr19
Popular Poster

Hi John,

I found both to be similar, but did not do extensive testing.

As I use powerplugs between the WIFI Hub (connected to phone line) and HG633 which are only rated at 200Mbps (using 100Mbps ethernet port), I do find that I get 40Mbps at most as my main PC is connected to the HG633. I do have a server connected to the WIFI Hub directly and found that I could get upto 76Mbps (same with HG633 when I had it connected to the phone line). So depending on your network setup, it is possibly due to other factors. I have assumed that you meant your WIFI speed was down by 30%, which again could be down to your setup. Might be that you are connecting to 5Ghz channels now rather than 2.4Ghz channel, even that both routers support both.

Kind regards

MI

JohnIrvine
Team Player

No, it's the main fibre broadband that's down by 30% sadly. With the HG633 I can get 68Mbps download but only 50Mbps on the wifi hub. I have riased it here and just waiting for an OCE for some advice.

Community Team

Hi JohnIrvine

If you start your own thread (new message), wed love to help.

Weve found that posting in someone elses conversation makes it harder to follow when looking for an answer.

Its easier and quicker if we can chat with you in a single thread, if you start your own thread, that will keep our community organised and help others with a similar problem.

Check your home phone number or account number are also added to your Community Profile as that will really help us to find your details quicker.

Thanks

Karl

JohnIrvine
Team Player

Hi Karl,

I already had a thread but had to wait until today for an OCE to help and I'm happy to say the @OCE_Debbie was very helpful and the issue is now resolved in as much that I have full internet speeds as per the HG633 but I am 20% down on wifi speed on the 2.4Ghz band which I can live with.

Community profile is up-to-date.

Thanks,

John