Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Upgrade to Fibre Lower Now Lower Stats Than Fast Broadband

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Upgraded to Fibre a month ago and download and upload speeds are worse than on fast broadband. Today download speed is 11795. In December on fast broadband it was 16600. 

We did have problems with broadband well over 2 years ago but it had been really stable since. Sometimes not changing for over 30 days.

Community Star

Hi @Neries your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during tomorrow. Have you tried a 30 minute router reboot. This often has the desired effect. 

The community is very busy, what took minutes can take hours. Be patient, avoid multiple posts and stay healthy, please.
Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Divsec, yes I tried that a couple of days ago and it went up but then back down. It has been up and down since we went over to fibre. We also have a lot of noise on the phone line.

Our phone lines are undergound and we have had a lot of rain over the last few months. Last week I walked past an Open Reach engineer working in a hole in the pavement which was full of water up to the top. Earlier that day another had been working in the one yards from our house.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Neries thanks for that invaluable information it will surely help the team tomorrow. 

The community is very busy, what took minutes can take hours. Be patient, avoid multiple posts and stay healthy, please.
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Neries,

Sync speed is a bit low (25.8Mbps) and line test is picking up a potential issue

How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router?

Does you master socket have a Test Socket?

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Chris,

Only one telephone socket and the router plugged permanently into the test socket at the back. Yesterday we had a lot of noise on the line. Not checked today as no phone calls.

Last time we had trouble 2 years ago we bought a new Panasonic digital phone with 3 handsets. It has been good since then until the upgrade to fibre went live on 6th January this year.

Highlighted

Hi @Neries

Thanks for confirming.

As you are connected to the test socket we can pass this out to Openreach to investigate. 

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Thanks Arne,

Internet dropping out every few minutes since about 11.30 this morning. It is holding for now.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Arne,

Openreach came this morning, tested and changed the master socket. It was over 40 years ago it was fitted by B.T. He also kindly changed the Router for me to the new one sent out by TalkTalk recently. The B.T. socket is at floor level and I could not get down to change it over due to bad back.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Neries great news about a kind and helpful engineer. I hope your connection is responding well. Good luck with the back I'm afraid an engineer can't cure that. 

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Divsec,

I know nothing can, it's old age arthritis.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Oh well that was short lived. Noise back on the phone line and stats have dropped from download of 40.00mbs, upload of 1.00 to download of 34.4mbs and upload of 0.6mbs.

Highlighted

Are you able do a test at the new test socket and let us know, Line tests are not picking up any issues.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Arne,

Hubby took the half front piece off the plug and plugged the micro fibre with phone line into the plug at the back.

The router we are using is a Sagecom Fast 5364. Stats are now Download 35.0 Mbps, Upload. 0.8 Mbps.

This morning at 11.39 am they were Download 31.0 Mbps, Upload 0.5 Mbs and had been connected for 4 hours 26min.

Highlighted
Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Arne,

Yes the noise had gone this morning when I checked. But it had after the Openreach engineer had fitted the new socket, then back again the following day.

I checked the router stats this morning and it was reading download 23.5 mbps, upload 0.4mbps.

Lunchtime I switched the router off, unplugged the grey phone line from the back and left it for about 40 minutes. Switched it all back on and went for a walk. Check stats when I came back and they are 33.8 mbps download  and 0.5 mbps upload. I also did a speed test on the TT page and it was 46 ms, download 19.6 mbps, 0.5 mbps upload. 

We were getting a regular 13 mbps on ordinary broadband before the upgrade to fibre.

Highlighted

Hi @Neries

We will need to pass this back to OpenReach.  

A line test is picking up a Copper impairment fault so we will send it to them today.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Arne,

Do they need to come in again or will they go to the box in the ground outside? We should be going out this afternoon.

Highlighted

Hi Neries,

Open have advised that we'll need to arrange an engineer visit to your home. If you'd like us to arrange the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also PM'd you to confirm some details 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Chris,

I have replied to your PM.

Why another Openreach home visit? The Engineer changed the main phone socket and nothing else is connected a week ago Saturday.

I think Openreach might have fixed it as they were working Saturday on the box in the pavement yards from our house. They dug and then filled a narrow trench in the pavement from the box up the road which leads to our small road. The stats are now showing 40mbps download and l.0mbps upload.

regards

Neries