Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Upgraded to Fibre 65 but no change in speeds

37 REPLIES 37
Highlighted
Team Player

When I renewed my contract six days ago, I moved from Faster Fibre to Fibre 65, but the speeds I am getting are nowhere near the 67 Mbps average speed promised. Speeds vary from 25 to 40 Mbps.
I have run all the usual checks, and tried switching the router off for 20-30 minutes. No joy. A Service Centre "case" has been opened, then closed, then opened again. When I click to "get an update" on the case and "start troubleshooting", the options available are irrelevant to my issue. No mention of a slow connection. I have also had no success trying to open a chat session with a TalkTalk staff member - nothing appears on screen when the button is clicked.
Any help in fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Johash the team here will help, one question the are you connecting wired or WiFi?

your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear soon.

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Team Player
Wi-fi
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Johash that was quick! If you can try wired. also can you Check your sync speed ?

If this adequate it points towifi issue have you Split your router's SSID (wireless network name) ?

Highlighted
Team Player
Hi @Divsec, I can't do wired at the moment. The speeds showing are 80 down and 20 up. The SSIDs are unchanged. Not sure if this means anything, but I've got four devices on the same Band 1 2.4GHz.
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Johash the sync speed is really good so things are boiling down to WiFi in my book.

Can you try splitting the SSID and connecting some devices on 5ghz?

Highlighted
Team Player

No success so far with splitting the SSIDs. Never actually done it before. Changed the SSID name for the 5GHz band and checked that it's visible. But when I try to get a device to connect with that new SSID, it says it can't be found. Must be missing a step somewhere.

Highlighted
Community Star

Try rebooting the devce going to sleep now so speak in the morning 👍

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Johash good morning how are you getting on?

D

Highlighted
Team Player

Morning, @Divsec. Rebooted everything and altered the SSID name on the 5GHz band, but it still can't be found by any devices, so I've restored the original SSID name. Will now try a wired connection and let you know what happens.

Highlighted
Team Player
Big change with wired connection - speed of 57.9 on the TalkTalk speed checker and 73.7 using the Ofcom checker.
Highlighted
Community Star

Well @Johash that's progress thanks for the update. I think my good friend @OCE_Karl might want a chat now.  He is very helpful especially when it looks as though it is the WiFi misbehaving.

One final suggestion try rebooting your phone or tablet sometimes they need that to pick up the WiFi ssid

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Johash

There is some wifi congestion, I've made a change to the wifi settings, see if this helps.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi @Divsec  @OCE_Karl 

Many thanks for your help so far. Karl, I've just done a speed test - 29.5 on TT speed checker and 31.4 on Ofcom.

Highlighted

Hi

I find Sam Knows Speed Test to be quite accurate, although no speed test will ever be 100%

Also, bear in mind that your wifi is only as fast as the slowest device connected. So if you have other devices connected, maybe an older phone or tablet, turn these off when testing so that you are sure the device you are using is 802.11n compatible and will achieve a decent speed.

If this is all checked, then I think a different model router would be in order to test.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Team Player

Thanks @OCE_Karl 

I did a Sam Knows speed test with only my laptop (802.11n) connected and the speed came out at 46.4 Mbps.

The router I have now is the Sagemcom FAST 5364.

Please let me know what happens next.

Johash

Highlighted

Hi

I've a Huawei Hub on the way to see if this will improve wifi speeds.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Team Player

Okay - thanks, @OCE_Karl.

Highlighted

Hi

It should arrive tomorrow, test and let me know.

Regards,

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi @OCE_Karl ,

It's nearly COB and the Huawei Hub has not yet arrived. Any update?