Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Upgraded to Fibre 65 but no change in speeds

ANSWERED
Team Player

Hi @OCE_Karl,

I have tried out the new router and there has been no improvement in speed. The speeds still hover around the 42 Mbps mark, but they are much higher with a wired connection. I was unable to make proper use of the "Speed to your router" checker in the Service Centre. It doesn't load my laptop in the device list for testing, and when I select a different device (phone), the test just fails.

Please see the details below for the wi-fi and wired speeds and the "Speed to your router" test.

Wi-fi speeds
TalkTalk: 41.1 Mbps
Ofcom: 41.8 Mbps
Sam Knows: 42.6 Mbps

Wired connection speeds
TalkTalk: 55.4 Mbps
Ofcom: 68.1 Mbps
Sam Knows: 68.8 Mbps

Service Centre
"Speed to your router" test did not work - Error message: "There was a problem running your speed test"

Team Player

@OCE_Karl @Divsec @OCE_Arne @OCE_Debbie 

Hi,

Could someone please pick this one up again? The new Huawei router has made no difference to the speeds.

I have taken the usual steps again: shutdown for 30 minutes, factory reset, checking connections etc. I have also isolated the router to cut out possible interference from other devices, tried out band steering and splitting the SSIDs. Unfortunately, nothing worked.

My laptop and phone seem to be stuck on the 2.4 GHz band, while my wife's iPad and iPhone, which are both older, always occupy the 5GHz band.

The issue with the Service Centre speed checker persists - my laptop is not being recognised as an option for testing and if I select my phone, the test just generates the same error message as before:

"There was a problem running your speed test
Please check your Wi-Fi connection and then use the Retry button below."

The SamKnows test currently shows a speed of 43.6 Mbps, using the laptop.

Community Star

Hi @Johash you are seeing acceptable speeds wired I recall and trust this is still the case with the new router. The fact that the WiFi issues persist despite a change of router suggest the issue is interference in the house, something beyond TT control.

But all is not lost have you tried different WiFi channels? Change your wireless channel 

Let's know

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Team Player

Hi @Divsec 

The wired connection still seems okay. Before my last post, I changed the wireless channels from automatic to 1 and 36 for 2.4 and 5GHz respectively. As there was no improvement, I turned them both back to automatic.

Further advice is very welcome.

Team Player

Hi @Divsec 

I have set new channels based on details shown in the Wifi Analyzer app. Again, no change in speed.

Community Star

Hi @Johash may I send you a personal message?

Team Player

Hi @Divsec 

I really appreciate your help, but don't you think we've reached a point where an OCE needs to take ownership of this issue and get involved?

Community Star

Hi @Johash I'm sure the team are hanging back as we are exploring all the options they could suggest, but I'll hang back now in the expectations that @OCE_Karl will pickup and guide you to the solution. (The one I can't think of)😁🤞

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Johash

I'm really sorry for the delay.

I've checked the connection stats and it appears that the router is switched off. Is the router switched off at the moment?

Thanks

Debbie

Team Player

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for getting in touch. Yes, the router was switched off earlier.

The speeds are the same as before - much higher with a wired connection: 65 compared with 35-40 Mbps on wi-fi.

I have since discovered that my laptop and phone can only do 2.4 GHz and not 5. There are also about 8 available networks within range. So could the slow wi-fi frequency and congestion explain the download speed difference?

Hi Johash

Just to advise, for fibre connections we advise to leave the router switched on.

If the router is switched on and off daily then this can affect the sync speed as DLM will change the profile and reduce the speed to try and stabilise the connection.

Thanks

Debbie

Team Player

Thanks for the advice, Debbie. I have swapped the plugs round so that the hub is always on.

Looking forward to your further comments on the wi-fi speed question.

Hi Johash

Thank you 🙂

I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 74.8mb.

If you factory reset the router using the pin hole reset, does it then allow you to connect to 5ghz?

Thanks

Debbie

Team Player

Hi Debbie,

I've checked the specs for my phone and laptop and the wi-fi mode is 802.11 b/g/n, so I understand a 5 GHz connection is impossible with those devices under any circumstances.

My wife's iPad can do 5GHz but the download speed is about 26Mbps.

Would it still be worth doing a pinhole reset?

Community Star

I can see that you were not apparently able to successfully separate the SSIDs before, maybe a daft question, but did you click Apply at the bottom of the page when you finished? Try "forgetting" any existing wifi connections on the iPad and then search again. It will definitely improve if connected to the 5GHz band. 

Team Player

Cc: @OCE_Debbie 

Hi @ferguson,

Pretty sure I hit "apply" as I'm the type of person who sometimes does that more than once or more than twice - just to be sure (and then once again just for luck!). That was with the Sagemcom router.

Tried splitting again with the new Huawei, and again the 5GHz band was not visible on my laptop and phone. On the other hand, my wife's iPhone and iPad have no trouble connecting on the 5GHz band every time. Only my laptop and phone are stuck on 2.4GHz band because they both have the b/g/n wireless mode.

The latest download speed for the iPad, on the 5GHz band, is 24 Mbps.

The latest download speed for the laptop, on the 2.4GHz band, is 44.4 Mbps.

Any further ideas, anyone?

Community Star

OK, I must have misunderstood your earlier post, I thought you were saying that the iPad could not connect to the 5GHz network. The only devices that can connect at 5GHz are the ones which are capable of doing so.

Team Player

Cc: @ferguson 

Hi @OCE_Debbie,

I have been keeping the router on permanently for a few days now and there's still no improvement in speed.

The download speeds are as follows:

Laptop: 42 Mbps

iPad: 24 Mbps

The laptop can only do 2.4 GHz and the iPad can only do 5 GHz.

My guaranteed speed to the router is 60 Mbps. In that case, what speed to my devices should I be getting? Could neighbouring wi-fi networks be interfering with my network? There are 8 networks nearby but only 2-3 with strong signals.

Hi,

@KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer any additional advice in regards to the lower wireless speeds please?

Thanks

Community Star

Hi @Johash 

@OCE_Michelle has asked me to help with your wireless issues, which of the two routers are you currently using?

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please let me know?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they?