Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Upgrading to Fibre Broadband?

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Visitor

Hello.

I have normal broadband (phone line and wired router) and my contract is supposed to end in August.

Even though my current broadband drops connection every now and again, I haven't had to contact technical support for years. The last thing I want is to do is change to something new that is going to cause problems. I'd rather not take that risk. I would prefer slow broadband that works, rather than fast broadband that causes problems.

Usually, folk only visit or post on boards when they have a problem, however, I would like to ask if there is anyone who can say that upgrading to fibre has NOT caused any problems at all and everything worked and still works as it should and has been for some time?

I also have a question for something I don't quite understand. When I contacted TalkTalk, they said that the necessary work that needs to be done will be done so at the local cabinet and no one will need to visit my property. So does nothing else need to be done? Does fibre broadband just come into the property via the normal BT telephone cable line that's already in place?

Another question I have is that in the computer world, speeds in theory are not always the same as speeds in practice, so when I read about being able to download such and such in a few seconds with fibre, is this really the case in real life and does it depend on anything else, for example, would any hardware or cable for the computer system need to be upgraded in order to achieve the relevant speeds or would the same old equipment I currently have allow the same speeds?

Thank you for any assistance.

Highlighted
Philosopher

If you order Faster Fibre then nothing needs to be done in your home.

The Faster 150 needs a home visit to fit new equipment.

You may need a new router if you have one of TT's older models, but that just plugs in exactly the same as your present one.

You will have to connect your WiFi devices to the new router network name SSID, but that is easy enough.

The speeds you get depend mostly on how far you are from the local green fibre cabinet and will be provided as part of your order.

Most computers and phones will cope with the new speeds without any issue.

My upgrade went without a hitch and speed went from 3.5 to 34.

I got a new router in February and up until this week I had 154 days of perfect up-time and that would still have been the case if Scottish Power Networks had not had a local issue.

Martin
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @TalkerToo ,

I upgraded from regular TalkTalk broadband to Fibre several years ago, for me everything was very simple, I only had about an hours downtime on the day when they switched my line over in the street cabinet. Much like you I had occasional drops of connection when I was on regular broadband, I still have them now, but they are no more frequent.

So for 3 or 4 years now I've been on the standard fibre (with the 40mbps cap). In all that time I've only had one period of no connectivity, that was last month when something broke in our telephone exchange, so it affected a lot of people, but it was all fixed within a few hours.

When you move to fibre it is only the line between the telephone exchange and the street cabinet that is fibre, the line from the street cabinet to your house is still the same old copper phone line you have today, that is why no engineer visit is required to your house, as they just have to go to the street cabinet to switch your line over to fibre, which should only take your line out of service for an hour or so.

If your current TalkTalk router support a fibre connection (fibre is VDSL whereas your current connection would be ADSL), then they may well not send you a new router, in which case everything should just carry on working without you having to touch anything. If they do need to send you a new router then they will also send new Microfilters and a new RJ11 cable to connect the router to the Microfilter, so this would give you new cables anyway.

If you discuss upgrading with TalkTalk they should tell you the expected speed range for your line and give you a minimum guaranteed speed, be aware that the speeds they are quoting are the speeds that the router syncs to the street cabinet, the actual download speeds you achieve will be slightly lower, for example my connection syncs at just about the full 40mpbs that I am entitled to with my package, a speed test will generally show I'm getting between 37 and 38 mbps, this is perfectly normal and to be expected.

Highlighted
Visitor
Thank you, martswain/Skynet_TX, for your prompt and extremely helpful replies. You have answered all my questions. I do have a few more queries if I may.

Whether or not a router is included in the new fibre package, will I still be able to have a wired connection and not wifi?
Will I still be able to keep all the physical locations of all the equipment in the same place, for example, router upstairs at the end of a long extension cable with the wall socket being downstairs?
I notice that one of the packages offers a 30 day trial, but even if it doesn't, would I be able to revert back to normal broadband? The price of both normal broadband and fibre is the same anyway for some reason, so they wouldn't lose any money by my reverting. Just out of curiosity, when reverting from fibre to normal, do they just leave everything the way it is in the local cabinet or do they need to go back and replace the fibre cable with the normal cable?
Lastly, a question that may seem silly, but is important, does the outer packaging of the equipment sent to my property have any indications of its contents, e.g. TalkTalk router and if so, is it possible to request that it be sent in plain packaging?

Thank you again.
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @TalkerToo ,

Yep, the routers all have ethernet sockets to allow you to connect wired devices. TalkTalk (well, pretty much every ISP) will always recommend that you connect the router to the master phone socket (even for the ADSL that you have now), however this obviously isn't possible for a lot of people.

Personally I have my router connected to a second extension socket in the house, and it works perfectly well. If your current router is working fine where it is then there is a good chance any replacement VDSL one would work just as well (obviously no guarantees though !). VDSL signals work at a higher frequency so there is always a small chance that a VDSL signal could be affected by a poor quality wire that didn't really affect ADSL, however in most cases using them on an extension works just fine.

TalkTalk offer a minimum guaranteed speed, so if you had issues with your connection and it was not meeting that speed then you should be able to get out of any contract, details here : https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Broadband-Speed-Code-of-Conduct/ta-p/2204642

If you did revert back to ADSL then it would need an OpenReach engineer to undo what he did in the street cabinet to move you back to the copper connection. There are no new wires to lay to move you to or from fibre, it is just switching your line between the equipment in the cabinet that serves ADSL and the equipment which serves Fibre.

Can't comment on the packaging I'm afraid, certainly the actual box my router came in had TalkTalk splashed all over it, but I really can't remember what 'outer wrapping' covered it !

Highlighted
Philosopher

The HUBs all have 4 ethernet ports for wired connections.

It can be situated where your current router is, but it is always best to use a dedicated RJ11 extension solely for the broadband side, from the filtered side of a modern master socket or using a filter at the main socket.

If you wish to revert they just move a couple of connections around in the green cabinets, physical work is required outside of your home.

I cannot remember about the packaging.

Martin
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

My router(s) came in a box covered in a plain grey plastic. Talktalk can.t provide me with a reliable adlsl line, upgrading to fibre will most likely cause even more grief

Highlighted
Visitor

Thank you again for your helpful replies, martswain/Skynet_TX.

Thanks also for that info, Loudkitten. I asked them on the phone but they had no idea.

I went ahead and upgraded to Faster Fibre (38 Mb/s), but when I asked about the next speed up (67 Mb/s), they said it was not available. I'm confused. How can one be available and the other one not?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Star

It will not be that it is not available, it will be that there would probably be no benefit to you from having it. Standard fibre will give you speeds of up to 40mbps, so if the length/quality of your copper phone line from your home to the street cabinet means you could not get speeds much faster than that anyway then there is no point in you having the speed boost, it would be a waste of your money.

Standard fibre (40mbps limit) and super fast fibre (70mbps limit) are exactly the same product, it is just that the standard fibre has a 40mbps cap automatically applied to the connection. Your phone line will have a maximum speed that it will be capable of (primarily based on its length), so if that maximum speed is not significantly higher than 40mbps then you may as well just be on the standard package.

More info here https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance on theoretical max speeds based on how long your phone line is.

Highlighted
Philosopher

@TalkerToo 

Do not get confused by the "38" speed, that is just the way the service is advertised and is a generic speed averaged across all customers, as agreed between OFCOM and the ASA.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/broadband-speeds-c...

When you ordered you should have been given a specific estimate for you line, that would have included estimated speed range and a minimum speed guarantee.

This minimum can be well below 38 if your distance to the cabinet is long.

Martin
Highlighted

To     TalkerToo

I did the same as you, with the same hopes !!  Go live date 23.7.2020 as of today my speed went from 5 to 9.7Mbs upload and after 13days it's still the same. After 2 attempts by them to test my line and go thro all sorts of tests and predictions by them (sessions took 90mins ea) there has been no improvement. Faster fibre 16 to 35Mbs I'd be happy with 30 something. I was getting 5 on standard BB but the hassle and getting nowhere makes my doubt my sanity.  I've been a customwe for 15+ years on Bband

Highlighted

To     TalkerToo

My 36Mbps package said I should expect to get Max 30Mbps    Typ.  15 - 29Mbps  minm 11Mbps. 

But I'm only getting 9.7ish as previous reply.  It seems to me they don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. And love confusion, it gives them licence !

Sorry just my take on it    AL

Highlighted
Community Star

@Clawman If you are not getting at least your guaranteed minimum speed then you can leave without penalty, subject to giving TalkTalk a chance to see if they can improve it for you. If you start your own topic the support team will gladly look into this for you.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi TalkerToo

Apologies for the delay.

I can see that our Community Members have been helping.

Do you need any further help with this?

Thanks

Debbie