would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Upload speed keeps dropping very low

20 REPLIES 20
Spogg
Team Player

Hi

I have an annoying fault: My upload speed on fibre max keeps dropping very low. In this situation my download is affected only by about 10%, but the upload drops from around 6 to around 0.5 or less and this causes problems when browsing, and especially when uploading my videos and files to my website and Dropbox.

I’ve found that rebooting the router often gets back to the normal upload speed, but it’s got worse lately and often this doesn’t fix it now.

Here’s what I’ve done so far:

I’ve been using a Draytek 2762 (I thought it might be better!) so I reverted to the TalkTalk DSL-3782 and got the same results (images below).

I connected directly to the test socket inside the OpenReach 5C socket, with no phone connected, just a filter (new one!).

I connected a basic wired handset to the test socket and, on a silent line test, I can hear some random noise, like a quiet rustle and occasional ticks. This is not loud and also the drop wire was replaced a few months ago (which fixed the big download issue I had back then). But there is audible noise present now.

I’ve been recording my speed test results on the test page you told me to use last time, so you can look at my results there.

Draytek 2762:

Draytek 2762 just after reboot .png

DSL-3782:

TalkTalk DSL-3782 after reboot .pngTalkTalk DSL-3782 DSL status after reboot .png

All the above screenshots were taken just after a reboot, with the internet connected.

I do hope you can help!

Cheers

Rex

Community Team

Hi Spogg,

I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential voice fault. Just to confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone?

Thanks

Spogg
Team Player

Hi Michelle

Voice performance seems ok, and although there are occasional noises on the voice side it's not really a problem in itself. The main issue is this upload problem which is getting more frequent.

Cheers

Spogg

Community Team

Hi Spogg

Thanks for your reply.

Noise on the line can affect the BB connection so we have to investigate this first.

How often is this noise present? (every day/once a week) What type of noise can you hear? (crackle, hiss etc)

Thanks

Debbie

Spogg
Team Player

Hi Debbie

It's hard to quantify exactly how often. Based on the few tests I've made (on the silent line test) it seems to be every few minutes. There is then an unsteady background hiss which occasionally crackles a litttle. Plus there are occasional ticking sounds. None of these are what I would describe as loud though.

Cheers

Spogg

Community Team

Hi Spogg

Thanks for your reply.

This type of noise can affect the connection as the line should be clear with no crackles or hiss sounds.

Would it be possible to test with a corded handset at the test socket, with the router removed from the line and let us know if this noise is still present in this set up?

Thanks

Debbie

Spogg
Team Player

Hi Debbie

That is how I did test it!

I know the procedure from my previous problem, so I only had a wired handset directly into the test socket.

The original socket was replaced with an Openreach 5C at the same time the drop wire (from the pole all the way to the master socket) was replaced, a few months ago. The performance on download immediately improved dramatically at the time. This noise has crept in since that visit from Openreach.

Cheers

Spogg

Community Team

Hi Spogg

Thanks for your reply.

Are you happy for me to raise the noise on the line fault over to our Network Team for investigation?

Debbie

Spogg
Team Player

Yes please!

Community Team

Hi Spogg

Apologies for the delay.

Please can you send me a Private Message to confirm the name on the account.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Spogg

Thanks for the Private Message.

I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information from our Network Team.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Spogg

Our Network Team have advised that the line test is now detecting a loop fault, this fault is often caused by internal wiring or equipment connected to the line.

What do you currently have connected to the line?

Thanks

Debbie

Spogg
Team Player

Hi Debbie

When I did my tests I used the test socket directly so, as I understand it, all domestic wiring is disconnected. All we have is a single cable to the lounge where we simply have a wireless phone base station connected. There’s been no change to the wiring for a few years.

Cheers

Spogg

Community Team

Hi Spogg

Would it be possible to connect a different phone at the test socket so we can run another line test?

Thanks

Debbie

Spogg
Team Player

Yes, I’ve done that.

I now have a filter directly into the test socket feeding a wired phone and the router only. I heard noise on the dial tone.

I’ll leave it like that until you let me know I can revert it.

Cheers

Spogg

Community Team

Hi Spogg

Thanks for your reply.

I've completed a further line test which is now clear. If you make a call now is the noise still present?

Thanks

Debbie

Spogg
Team Player

Thanks.

No the line is very noisy now. Plus the braodband dropped out completely for about 2 minutes. Still in the test socket of course.

Cheers

spogg

Community Team

Hi Spogg

Thanks for the additional information. I will advise our Network Team now and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Please can you leave the router, phone and filter at the test socket whilst our Network Team are completing their investigations.

Thanks

Debbie

Spogg
Team Player

Yes no problem. I'll leave it as it is for now.

Just let me know when I can start re-using the wireless phone.

Cheers

spogg

Community Team

Hi Spogg

Thank you, I will let you know as soon as I receive further information from our Network Team.

Debbie