cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Upload speed poor, download speed excellent - until I upload anything

Community Team

The thing is, the upstream sync speed reducing to 2.4Mbps shouldn't cause uploading a file to cause all downloads to grind to a halt, this is more of a bandwidth management issue than lack of bandwidth. There's a possibility that increasing the bandwidth won't resolve this issue (but it admittedly wouldn't be as bad as any upload would take less time so other devices would be affected for a shorter time). I can send another router to test with. 

To reset DLM would require another engineer visit and the best we could hope for is for it to leave you on the profile that you're on at the moment so there's really no point.

Chris

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK - the easy bit.

What you see with a speed test is always lower than you line can actually achieve at the line level. To transmit data (over the public network) quite a lot of error correction code, possible interleaving etc. has to be added to make sure the data is received in a reasonable and recoverable state.

With ADSL speed tests can be as low as 80% of the router's achievable rate, with VDSL  a figure of 90% is more typical.

So the fact you are seeing 2 Mbps at your screen with Ookla etc. is totally compatible with @OCE_Chris reporting a router sync rate of 2.3 Mbps. And if the router is sync'ing at 2.3 Mbps then you cannot be on a 40/2 profile.

You would have hoped that BTOR would have done a full reset, but you never know.

It is a bit unfortunate that you have a "wifi router" as (when I tested one) some of the stats it produced were very clearly incorrect. 

Not my choice, but if you could retest with an HG633 or HG635 (as suggested) then I think you would get a much clearer picture of your router and line performance, as you would have more complete and more provable stats.

I'm not sure @OCE_Chris would be able to request a DLM reset as your downstream performance seems to be "in range" and that is usually all they seem to care about.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@OCE_Chris 

Chris - the OP in post #1 stated that he used to get around 6.5 Mbps upstream with no apparent issues. So something has clearly changed, so not just a bandwidth issue - IMO.

Community Team

Hi umanu2

Yes, that's what I'm suggesting, that it's not just a bandwidth issue, and it makes sense to test with another router 🙂

Chris

paul0rimmer
Team Player

Thanks again, umanu2. You've been very helpful. Why is it that the answers that come from the community themselves are clearer and more detailed and just more helpful than those that come from TT...?

Chris, you said: "To reset DLM would require another engineer visit and the best we could hope for is for it to leave you on the profile that you're on at the moment so there's really no point."

Can you clarify, please? Specifically, what do you mean by "the best we could hope for is to leave you on the profile...so there's really no point"? Do you mean Openreach will only do a DLM reset if a customer switches to another profile? Surely that can't be right.

You were prepared to send another engineer last week (although the engineer didn't turn up), so why not now?

Also, can you explain why TT can't arrange a DLM reset themselves? I understand you do it for your business customers. What about for a non-business customer like me, who has waited patiently for almost 2 months now for this issue to be investigated and resolved, who has had four Openreach engineer visits already, who has lodged a complaint, who has spent god knows how many hours fighting an uphill battle trying to get any sense from TT and yet has only got any clarity and help from a fellow TalkTalk customer, and who is at the end of his tether and ready to just cancel his contract and switch to another provider?

As for trying another router, why do you expect any different results to those that the Openreach engineer got when he tested speeds using his equipment (ie, with my router out of the equation)? The engineer got exactly the same as I do - 2mbps upload speeds, and during uploading the download speed was crippled.

I might be able to borrow a router from a neighbour later this evening. If so, I'll need to know what setup details to input so that the router can connect to the internet. Can you tell me what those setup details would be, please?

Thanks.

Community Team

Hi Paul

"Can you clarify, please? Specifically, what do you mean by "the best we could hope for is to leave you on the profile...so there's really no point"? Do you mean Openreach will only do a DLM reset if a customer switches to another profile? Surely that can't be right."

I mean that you're on a 10Meg unpstream profile now, if DLM is reset it can't move you to a faster profile because there isn't one, but it could potentially move you to a slower one. Also if any of the engineers would have thought that a DLM reset would help they would probably have done it.

"You were prepared to send another engineer last week (although the engineer didn't turn up), so why not now?"

Apologies, I got the impression from your previous posts, that you don't want another engineer visit if it can be avoided

Regarding the router, sorry I didn't realize that the OR engineer had specifically ran tests, on their own equipment, to confirm that uploading causes downloads to freeze (thought they'd just checked to see if sync speed increased) - if this is the case then I agree, it probably isn't worth testing with another router

Have you changed your setup in any way since your last post as your sync speed has now improved to 3.3Mbps?

Chris

paul0rimmer
Team Player

Hi, Chris. Thanks for your response.

No, I've not changed anything. I can see the increase in upload speed too - Ookla speedtest reports upload speeds of around 3mbps now. Download speed is still very much reduced during an upload, to about 1mbps - so not quite as cripplingly as it was before, but still not great.

I can see that my internet connection has only been up since about 4am. There was no power cut here, as far as I can see from other devices in the house. I'm guessing TalkTalk UK wouldn't have done anything at that time of the morning, but could it be that one of your colleagues in India did something? If so, can you see what it was they did?

If they carried out some sort of reset that's kickstarted DLM back to life, I take it I'm best leaving the router on rather than trying a 30min power down? And might it help if I set a big upload in progress at all? Or will that do nothing?

Community Team

Hi Paul,

I've checked this again and it does appear that there was a profile change in the early hours of this morning, the profile speed cap on the upstream wasn't changed but there was a slight change to the target SNR on downstream 

I'd suggest monitoring the connection over the weekend to see if there's going to be any further improvement 

Chris

paul0rimmer
Team Player

I've been monitoring the speeds all week. There's been no improvement - in fact, speeds have dropped again: download has dropped to around 33mbps and remained there, and upload quickly dropped back to where it was, at around 2.1mbps, and has stayed there.

I've spoken with two members of staff in your Manchester office, who were both quite helpful. The first, Jack, agreed that we should try a DLM profile change, so a request has been made to Openreach to switch me from 'Standard' to 'Speed'. That could take up to 15 days to happen though, as Openreach treat profile changes as low priority.

I managed to find an old router in the loft the other day, so I tried connecting that, just out of curiosity. Unfortunately it's the wrong type of router - I might have the wrong terminology here (if so, apologies), but it's an old ADSL router rather than a fibre router, so it simply wouldn't connect.

As there's nothing else I can do now until the DLM profile change happens (and even then I don't expect anything will happen overnight), can you send me another WiFi hub to try, just so we can rule out once and for all that it's an issue with my current TT WiFi hub?

Also, you (Chris) said in your last post "the profile speed cap on the upstream wasn't changed". So there is a profile speed cap on the upstream? This is news to me. What's the speed capped at, and why?

Thanks.

paul0rimmer
Team Player

One further question:

When Openreach effect the profile switch (from 'Standard' to 'Speed'), will that also set the DLM back to 'open' (ie, clear any history and set speeds to maximum)? In other words, will it mean a 'full DLM reset' happens? I'm guessing not, but perhaps someone in the know could confirm for me? 

Thanks in advance.

Community Team

Hi

Usually when the Speed profile is changed a reset is initiated but I'm not hopeful that this will change the overall upload connection rate.

Looking at your profile on the Openreach side it is set at the correct levels :

40M Downstream 4dB, Retransmission High

10M Upstream, Error Protection Off 

Upstream sync is showing as 2.3mb

If the speed rating is changed at the Openreach end and this does not increase the upload then a further Openreach engineer visit would be required but I would be inclined to ask if it is possible to also try a lift and shift (moving to another exchange port) when this is arranged.  I cannot guarantee if this would be done, but worth requesting when the engineer is booked in.

Thanks

Karl. 

paul0rimmer
Team Player

Thanks for your reply, Karl.

Jack in your Manchester office also mentioned a lift and shift, but the next person I spoke to in Manchester - who actually put in the request for the profile to be changed to 'speed' - didn't. I'm guessing that means a lift and shift hasn't been requested yet.

So, can we agree that that's the next step: if upload speed doesn't return to 6-7mbps (the upload speed I used to get, before Feb 2019) after 15th May (when the profile gets changed to 'speed'), Openreach will be instructed to carry out a lift and shift?

paul0rimmer
Team Player

Also, my previous question still remains unanswered: why is there a speed cap on my upstream, and what's it capped at?

Thanks in advance.

Community Team

Hi

If the change in speed profile does not help then the only way forward I can see is to book out an engineer and request a lift n shift.  

If you follow this through via the community, we can then request this is asked of Openreach when the booking is made.

Thanks

Karl. 

paul0rimmer
Team Player

The profile change (from 'standard' to 'speed') was due to take place yesterday. There's been no change at all in upload speed.

I was expecting there to be a short break in the broadband connection when the change happened, but looking at the router, there wasn't.

Can you see from your end whether it happened?

If it has happened, given there's been no change at all to my speeds, can you please proceed as per Karl's earlier post - instruct Openreach to carry out a lift and shift?

Thank you.

Community Team

Hi paul0rimmer,

The policy has changed to speed. Can you switch your router off for 30 minutes then switch back on and check if speed has improved. Please let us know how you get on

Chris

paul0rimmer
Team Player

Router turned off overnight, then back on this morning. Download speed is 36.9mbps (a slight improvement), upload is 2.27mbps (no improvement).

Can you ask Openreach to do a lift and shift, please? Jack in your Manchester team suggested that over a month ago now. Thank you.

Community Team

Hi paul0rimmer,

I've passed this back to our network team. Can you bump the thread tomorrow and we'll check for updates. In answer to your earlier question, the upstream speed cap is 10Mbps

Chris

paul0rimmer
Team Player

Thanks, Chris. I take it it's the network team that would instruct Openreach to try a lift & shift?

Could you let me know if there's any update?

Thanks.

Community Team

Hi paul0rimmer

I've requested an update on this fault from our Network Team and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie