cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Upload speed poor, download speed excellent - until I upload anything

Community Team

Hi paul0rimmer

Our Network Team believe that this could be related to cross talk (interference from another line) A wired connection could help with this.

We can arrange another BT Openreach engineer visit. Please let me know if you would like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

paul0rimmer
Team Player

I'l agree to another Openreach visit, but only if the instructions to Openreach will include a request for a lift & shift, as was agreed previously would be the next step. If the instructions don't include that, I expect Openreach will decline to carry out the appointment (which is what they did last time, meaning I took a day off work waiting for an engineer who had decided - without bothering to let me know - that there was no point in attending).

When you say cross-talk and 'a wired connection could help with this', do you mean your network team suspect interference over wi-fi? If so, they've not read the whole thread. This isn't a wi-fi issue. When the issue first arose, I tested a wired connection myself. Also, the Openreach engineers who've visited already (all three of them) tested the line speeds with their own equipment (the hand-held gadget they use, wired directly to the master socket) and got the same results.

If I've got the wrong end of the stick and it doesn't mean wi-fi interference, please could you elaborate on what you mean by cross-talk? Thanks.

Community Team

Hi paul0rimmer

Thanks for your reply.

This is like a crossed line but the line can only be slightly touching causing interference (interference from another line)

I have asked our Network Team to confirm if the engineer will arrange for a lift and shift to be completed. I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

paul0rimmer
Team Player

Thanks, Debbie. I'll wait to hear from you.

I've just read an online article explaining what cross-talk is and how it affects FTTC. Based on what I've read, if it was cross-talk causing this issue, wouldn't the download speed be adversely affected too? My download speeds are in the region of 36.5mbps, which is roughly 91% of the line's capability (40mbps); whereas my upload speeds are 2.2mbps, which is only 22% of the line capability (10mbps). If it's cross-talk reducing the speed, wouldn't we expect my download speeds to have dropped by a similar extent - ie, to about 22% of capability (so, to around 9mbps)? Or does it not work like that - ie, can cross-talk affect upload to a far greater degree than download?

Community Team

Hi paul0rimmer

Apologies for the delay.

Our Network Team have advised that we can ask BT Openreach to complete a lift and shift but we can't guarantee that this will be completed. This will be a decision made by the BT Openreach engineer.

Thanks

Debbie

paul0rimmer
Team Player

Thanks, Debbie.

Hopefully Openreach will agree to a L&S then. Do I need to get involved (ie, arrange a date and agree to be at home) before you'll instruct Openreach? Or as a L&S takes place at the cabinet, is that not necessary?

And at what point will I find out whether Openreach have agreed to do a L&S - on the day of the engineer appointment, or before that?

Thanks.

Community Team

Hi paul0rimmer

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

We would know if a lift and shift will be completed once the engineer has visited and completed their investigations.

Thanks

Debbie

paul0rimmer
Team Player

We would know if a lift and shift will be completed once the engineer has visited and completed their investigations.

*Sighs massively*

OK, I'll arrange the appointment, but I won't be in the least bit surprised if this turns out to be a repeat of the last OpenReach instruction - the one where I took a day off work, waited home all day for an OR engineer who never showed up because he decided he wasn't going to attend or do anything (including bothering to let me know) because my download speed was fine. (I'm still waiting for my £25 compensation* from TalkTalk for that, by the way. I won't hold my breath).

*Supposedly a TT customer gets £25 when an appointment is missed and it's the engineer's fault. How does that compare to the sum the customer gets billed when an appointment is missed and it's their fault, I wonder...

Can anyone out there tell me what will happen if I leave TalkTalk and switch to another provider? Will TalkTalk make that difficult by putting a flag on my line? If so, does that mean no other ISP will take me as a customer? If TT will let me leave and not put a flag on, is there any chance that switching provider will fix the issue (poor upload speed; uploading causing downloading to grind to a halt)? Or will I just be in the same sorry situation but with a different provider? Thanks in advance.

Community Team

Hi paul0rimmer

Please can you send me a Private Message to confirm the details I sent over, I can then arrange the engineer visit.

If you would also like to discuss leaving TalkTalk then I would advise contacting our Loyalty Team.

Thanks

Debbie

paul0rimmer
Team Player

Since Openreach changed my profile from 'standard' to 'speed', my upload speed has improved slightly - it's now 2.8mpbs. However, when I upload anything it still takes forever and downloading grinds to a halt.

Surely 2.8mpbs - while by no means great, and nowhere near what I used to get until Feb 2019 (6-7mbps) - should be enough that uploading shouldn't affect downloading?

I'd like to test another router, to see if that makes any difference at all, but I don't have another VDSL router ((I only have old ADSL+ routers). Would you be able to send me a VDSL router to try, please? I don't mind what type.

Thank you.

Community Team

Hi paul0rimmer

Apologies for the delay.

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

paul0rimmer
Team Player

The new router arrived today, but the results with the new router are exactly the same as with the existing one, so I'll return the new router to you asap. Thank you for sending it out so quickly.

This confirms that the problem isn't with the equipment within my home. The master socket is a new one fitted by the first Openreach engineer (the new type of socket, with a built-in filter), and the cable between my home and the cabinet has also been replaced recently by Openreach.

So the problem, it seems, is at the cabinet or the exchange. So, back to Openreach. I'll reply to your private message asap, to arrange yet another Openreach visit. Hopefully they'll carry out a lift & shift, and hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Community Team

Hi paul0rimmer,

Thanks for trying that. Could you please PM the information requested by OCE_Debbie and we'll arrange the engineer visit

Thanks

Chris

paul0rimmer
Team Player

An OpenReach engineer attended last week and - not entirely surprisingly - didn't carry out a lift & shift.

He said he couldn't find any fault on the line, and not even any errors. The line was 'perfect', he said. He went to the cabinet and tested the port, which he said was also perfect as it was receiving 100mbps from the fibre end (this is FTTC, then copper to the home), so - in his opinion - a lift & shift was pointless.

Internally, he tested both sockets and confirmed they were perfect too. And yet with his own equipment he was still only getting around 2.1mbps upload.

In short, he said, everything was perfect in terms of the line and the sockets, so he couldn't explain why my download speed is good and yet my upload speed is poor, or why downloading grinds to a halt while there's an upload in progress. He said I need to speak to my provider, as I should be getting a decent upload speed.

All of which suggests there's something else capping my upload speed, something that TalkTalk presumably has some control over.

Can you do anything to resolve this? (And please don't suggest instructing OpenReach again). If not, I'll be ending my contract early, on the grounds that I'm not getting the service I'm paying for and you've not been able to resolve the issue, and I'll switch to another provider.

Community Team

Hi paul0rimmer

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've asked our Network Team to take another look at this and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi paul0rimmer

Our Network Team have provided the below update:

No issues detected on any tests. We can see that upload speed is not in the range but we can guarantee only download speed. We can’t guarantee any upload speed.

Thanks

Debbie

paul0rimmer
Team Player

The problem seems to have resolved itself somehow: a few weeks ago (on a Sunday) my internet service went down briefly and then, when it came back up, my upload speed had returned to the 6.5mpbs that it was before all this began. I can now upload with only a slight adverse effect on download speeds, and uploads are taking a fraction of the time that they were.

I would love to know what happened on that Sunday that resolved the issue - not least so that, if this ever happens again, the same fix can be applied instantly rather than after three months of to-ing and fro-ing.

Can you please mark the issue as resolved, and could you please also ask whoever deals with customer compensation to request my £25 for the missed Openreach appointment (the one where they didn't attend or bother to let me know that they wouldn't be attending).

Thank you.

Community Team

Hi paul0rimmer

Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm not sure what resolved this issue as no work was scheduled to be completed. DLM may have made changes to the line profile.

In regards to compensation, this help page provides some further information About your auto compensation credit

If you’re eligible for automatic compensation, we’ll let you know via email or an SMS. Compensation will be credited to your account within 30 days of a fault being resolved, a missed appointment or your service going live if delayed by TalkTalk.

Thanks

Debbie