Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Uploading large files kills the internet

7 REPLIES 7
Glauco
Team Player

I have the HG633 router with Faster Fibre connection. I find that whenever I am uploading a large file, for example a video to YouTube or a zipped archive through WeTransfer, it completely clogs up my internet connection, so I can't browse or do anything.

I read other similar posts and it would seem that this is a known problem with the HG633, so I wonder if there's anything I can do to avoid these slowdowns. You can't "limit" upload speeds to YouTube, like you can with Google Drive (as one solution suggested). Same with WeTransfer.

This isn't a major problem as I usually wait until no one else is using the Internet and upload then, but it's often a bit inconvenient so if there's a quick fix, such as changing settings on the router itself or getting a firmware update, I'd like to hear about it.

I get great upload speeds so I'd be happy to sacrifice some of that and get some decent download speeds back - at least as much as standard broadband seems a reasonable expectation!

Community Team

Hi Glauco,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've checked and the router has the latest version of firmware and the line test hasn't detected a fault. Would you like to try a 3782 router for testing purposes to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Glauco
Team Player

Hi, I would be happy to try the 3782 but I read in another post that it's not recommended if you use VPNs, which I do sometimes. I've been generally happy with the HG633 and as I said the upload issue is just a minor inconvenience. Can I maybe get the 3782 on a trial basis and return it if it's no better?

Community Team

There was an issue with this router on some VPN's but the latest firmware version has pretty much resolved this and yes you can return the router if it's no better - would you like me to go ahead and send one?

Chris

Glauco
Team Player

Hi Chris, yes please, let's give the 3782 a go. Many thanks,

Glauco

Community Team

Hi Glauco,

I've ordered the router, it should be with you within a couple of days 🙂

Chris

Glauco
Team Player

I received the D-Link 3782 yesterday and tested it with YouTube. It works perfectly, no noticeable slowdowns in connection while files are uploading. Also tested with WeTransfer, no problems there.

I am annoyed with myself for not doing a proper speed test with the HG633 before unplugging it and putting it away, so I could have done a full comparison, but the 3782 certainly seems at least as fast, if not faster than the HG633.

It shows there was definitely something wrong with the Huawei router, so I'm glad I checked. I have to say, great service from TT offering a replacement straight away and sending it next day, it's not often I praise them on this forum so credit where it's due...

Community Team

Hi Glauco,

That's great news, thanks for letting us know and glad to hear you're pleased with the service 🙂

Chris