cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Upnp been removed from the firmware as well now ???

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

so i can use my own asus router, i have set it to be in DMZ on the Tt router and i connect all cllients to the asus router and use its wifi. My PLEX media server is not broadcasting, it did before with other configurations, it was handled by Upnp, i cant find this any more, the is no radio button to turn it on, is this another feature thats been removed ??

loady_0-1576404790677.png

Yes its double NAT, the LAN ip of asus is 192.168.11.xxx and the TT is 192.168.1.xxx and the TT router has issued the asus router with a WAN ip of 192.168.1.22, i have reserved that address in the TT router

Highlighted
Community Star

The option to enable or disable has never been in the interface. It is permanently enabled.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Well, Plex was port forwarded before handles by the TT router, why not now ?

Highlighted
Community Star

Can you be more specific please. I know I tried to help you before, but I don't remember the details. What TCP or UDP ports are you trying to forward & are you using DDNS. Has DDNS updated your domain with a change of WAN IP address?

Router screenshots of the config would help as well.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Sorry for delayed response. 

So, my server is situated upstairs attached to a GB switch, this is connected to my asus router downstairs (R2) via powerlines into one of its LAN ports, R2 is directly connected to the TT router (R1) via its WAN port and no longer set to DMZ, R1 has issued R2 with an ip address of 192.168.1.22 (reserved), my servers ip address is 192.168.11.122 and R2 LAN ip address is set to 192.168.11.xxx, all clients are connected to R2 and R2 has openvpn running on it, i can access both routers remotely, i am adamant there was a toggle button for uNpnp which i cant see anymore, you told me its enabled permanently. In a previous setup where R2 was upstairs and connected to R1 with powerlines, R1 sorted the port forward for PLEX running on my server. Now its not, i am trying to port forward manually but i think i am getting the double NAT situation you previously mentioned, plex uses port 32400 and the ip address of the server is 192.168.11.122, i cant forward this on R1 as it keeps saying invalid ip address (double NAT?), should i be port forwarding 192.168.1.22 (the WAN ip R1 issued R2) with port number 32400 ?

Highlighted
First Timer
If you configure R1 to port forward to he WAN IP of R2, and then R2 to port forward to the server you should be good. You're trying to port forward to a network range that R1 doesn't know about (because the 192.168.11.0/24 network is hidden behind 192.168.1.22)

Hope that helps.
Conversation Starter

I may be.mistaken, surly if R1 has issued R2 a wan IP, isn't it already routed ?..it must know it's there to have done it.

Highlighted
Community Star

The only way R1 can pass on the WAN IP address to R2 is if it is operating in true modem mode. No TalkTalk router supports this.

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Well it seems to me that talktalk will not address this issue for customers that need this function so inevitably it will cost them my custom.

Highlighted
Community Star

This can always be a problem when people buy a 3rd party router, unless it incorporates an ADSL/VDSL modem, then you really need to buy such a modem anyway. I can talk you through port forwarding from the TalkTalk modem, but the success of that will depend on the technical capabilities of your Asus router, does it have an EWAN port to connect the TalkTalk router to?

I did test this some years ago with an HG633 as the initial modem/router and the DSL3780 as the extender (they were all I had to hand at the time). The 3780 has an EWAN port & so double NAT worked fine:-

Double NAT.png

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

It has no Ewan port, it is a cable router, Asus ac86u, I do believe they do a DSL model in that as well, I would be willing to change it if you believe it would resolve all my problems, is that to say that I would be able to completely remove the TT router and have the DSL Asus do the whole job ?...this would be good as I would have to have two routers eating electricity

Highlighted
Community Star

Yes that is the idea, one router with an inbuilt modem does the lot. You must ensure that the modem part of it is compatible with the TalkTalk network.

However, as to your point "I would be willing to change it if you believe it would resolve all my problems", I cannot give any comments/guarantees at all about the suitability of your requirements where any non-TalkTalk equipment is used. That is down to you to make sure this Asus router fulfils all of your needs.

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Well these asus modems are really pretty good equipment, i use asus merlin firmware which is kept very close to stock but with enhancements and is endorsed by asus.

The router i currently have has a DSL variant avilable, not sure what i need to be looking at specs wise, hope its ok to post a link to it, maybe you can quickly looki at the specs and see if it is compatible or let me know what i need to look for ? with hindsight i should have got this anyway as it is able to be used as a cable router as well.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/DSL-AC88U/ 

Thanks Keith.

Highlighted
Community Star

Asus do obviously have a very good reputation and this model does look to be of a high specification. However, I cannot see anything in there that indicates which ISPs its inbuilt modem is compatible with. TalkTalk do publish some generic configuration for the modem of a 3rd party router, but some routers fail to handle DHCP leases correctly on the network.

You must understand that I cannot give you any guarantees about a product that I have not tested myself.

Keith

Highlighted
Community Star

Any router can be expected to work with TalkTalk, some are easier to set up than others. One thing worth noting about the model you mention is that it doers seem to have a number of critics reporting issues with wireless dropouts. Personally I have yet to find the "perfect router" and I have been through quite a few in my time! At the end of the day you pay your money and make your choice. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Well, I'm happy to spend the money if you are willing to assist me in setting.up, if it gives an option for others to utilise their own equipment then that's great, if it doesn't pan out then I will just sell it om

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I have found with everything I buy that there will be people with issues, my house is notmlarge and there is little background noise or interference with channels

Highlighted
Community Star

Spot on. There is guidance on the help pages about setting up non-TalkTalk routers and if you are still stuck after that then we can of course try to help.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@ferguson @KeithFrench 

@KeithFrench wrote:

Asus do obviously have a very good reputation and this model does look to be of a high specification. However, I cannot see anything in there that indicates which ISPs its inbuilt modem is compatible with. TalkTalk do publish some generic configuration for the modem of a 3rd party router, but some routers fail to handle DHCP leases correctly on the network.

You must understand that I cannot give you any guarantees about a product that I have not tested myself.

"The most critical enhancement is that this design incorporates an ADSL modem, allowing it to be a drop-in replacement for anyone using ADSL2, VDSL2, VDSL or the new vPlus and G.fast connections.

As it also has a WAN Ethernet port, it is also ideal for those who are considering a switch from DSL to cable or vice versa, as the DSL-AC88U can do either with equal aplomb."

"The DSL-AC88U is built around one of Broadcom’s excellent NitroQAM chipsets, using the dual-core Broadcom BCM63138(1GHz) processor and two BCM4366 single chip 802.11ac SoCs."

"With quad antenna MIMO connectivity, this design can work well with older ‘n’ class adapters and can exploit 802.111.ac technology for those that can use that."

"Another plus point is the high quality of the modem. In testing on BT Infinity 2 service, using the DSL-AC88U as a replacement for the BT SmartHub yielded an extra 5Mb/s download speed, boosting from 35Mb/ss to 40Mb/s simply by plugging it in."

a

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I have now confirmed that there is a fork of asus merlin firmware that will go on this router and it will provide me with everything i need, openVPN, diversion (router add blocker) and other useful bits and bobs. I have found it available at currys for £189 and i am planning on getting it today.

What information and details am i going to need to enter in to it ?, would be nice to have this info ready for i get it.