Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

VPN issues working from home

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi, I've been given a work laptop as we are now having to work from home. When I collected it from work I could access all my work files etc but when I got it home I was unable to access any of my work files. I spoke to IT who didn't offer much help but said that it was a problem with Talk Talk and I should contact you.I'm assuming its a VPN issue but as I have basic IT knowledge I'm not sure how to fix it.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Trace7

I'm sorry to hear this.

Can I just check which VPN client you are using?

Your router has the latest firmware version and should work ok with VPN.

Are you able to connect wired? If you are only using wireless then please can you try splitting the SSID's?

Split your router's SSID (wireless network name)

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Sightseer

The VPN is PANGP Virtual Ethernet Adapter Global Protect

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Trace7

Thanks for your reply.

Are you able to connect wired? If you are only using wireless then please can you try splitting the SSID's?

Debbie

Highlighted
Sightseer

I've had a look at the instructions but not really sure what I should be doing, sorry.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Trace7

Apologies for this. Did you have a look at the help page I included?

Thanks

Highlighted
Sightseer

I followed the instructions for wi-fi hub as I think that's one that applies to me. I managed to get as far as point 6: Type a new network name in SSiD box - but I'm not sure what the new network name is.I don't want to type the wrong thing in case I mess things up.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Trace

Log into the router  (192.168.1.1 etc ) and manually change the SSID (Wi Fi) name of the 5ghz channel.

I often find it is better to keep the 2 broadcast channels separate.  For example, I have changed mine, and call one Home2Ghz and the other Home5Ghz.  Some devices can drop the connection when the SSID's remain the same.

Also, you can try manually setting the wifi channel  for each broadcast channel. Try channel 6 for the 2ghz channel and 44 for the 5ghz channel.

Give this a try , test with both SSID's and see if the connection improves.

Debbie

Highlighted
Sightseer

I've followed your instructions but unfortunately it hasn't made any difference.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Trace

Apologies for this.

Please can you power down your router for a full 30 minutes and then try and connect to the VPN client again after this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Sightseer

I switched off the router for 30 mins. If I try to access 'home 5' it's asking for 'network security key', I'm not sure what that is.

Highlighted
Sightseer
I've tried everything you've suggested but I still can't access my work files etc
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Trace

Apologies for this.

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this? (this will be a different make and model of router)

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Sightseer
If you could that would be good - hopefully that will work. Thank you for all your help.
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Trace

It's no problem, I'm just sorry you are experiencing this issue.

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive. Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie