Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Very Poor Fibre Broadband Speeds Recently

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Repeat Guest

Hi there, for the past 3 weeks our fibre broadband speeds have been extremely poor. I have done pretty much everything I can to try and fix this, rebooting the router, resetting the router, changing the band channels, leaving router off overnight but nothing has helped.

We usually get wifi download speeds of around 25 - 30 mbps on a good day and around 35 - 40 mbps through a wired connection. However the past 3 weeks our wifi download speed is usually around 0.5 - 7 mbps and periodicly cutting out, and even using an ethernet cable the highest speed we got was 9.36 mbps, a quarter of what we usually get. It's probably also worth mentioning that our upload speed has tripled, usually sitting at around 5 - 7 mbps is currently at 15 mbps.

We are using the Wifi Hub router and have only had it for about 3 months, unless there is a hardware issue with it, I don't think there is much else I can do on my end.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

[UPDATE] After doing a line test through my account I found that my work computer had a high data / download usage. Thankfully we are starting to get back to work a few days a week so hopefully this should help fix the issue.

How long will it take for my connection speed to improve at home?

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

Does anyone have any idea how long it will take for my connection to stabilize and get back to normal? the only information I am getting from the 'learn more' function in the support center is to try watching videos in standard definition rather than high definition.

What else can be done to speed up this process? I have informed everyone in my house not to download any large files, updates or watch stuff in HD for the next few days. My download speed has been <1 mbps since about 15:30 with just a mobile phone and laptop connected.

Highlighted
Philosopher

@LR1995 ok fibre b/b can take 14 days to get a right profile but issue can happen to mean u have slower speeds for e.g. a noise on ur phone line service

does ur phone line have any noise on the line can u make and receive calls

we can help but it might be a staff that can help with ur issue.

so please wait for them to reply in the next few days

if u have not already done so please can u finish of ur profile so when they get to u they can help

the oce staff should reply soon with in a few days to a week.

A bite of info of Forum:
The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time,(excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays).  The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:- Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

please do not post any personal info on here as full public 

Hope that help Regards Joe
If so then give me a Kudos ( Click the Thumb up Button)
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi LR1995,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'm just taking a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and it looks like DLM has increased the sync speed over the weekend. How is your connection at the moment?

Thanks

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

Hi @OCE_Michelle,

My wireless connection at the moment is 27 mbps download 11 mbps upload which is a big improvement, hopefully it will stay around the 25 to 35 range. What exactly was the issue, was the high data usage (around 500gb) enough to cap my speed to around 10 mbps?

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi LR1995,

Thanks for the update. Usually if DLM lowers the speed this is due to the connection being unstable or there being a high number of errors on the line. Please let us know if the speed does drop again.

Thanks 🙂

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

@OCE_Michelle Hello again, it seems as though the same issue has happened. Wired connection has been showing less than 10 mbps since last night, wireless is currently in the 0.01 - 5 mbps range with only 1 device connected. Router has been rebooted, reset etc.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Highlighted

Hi LR1995,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take another look now. I've re-run the line test which hasn't detected a fault, however the connection looks unstable and the sync speed has dropped. Does your master socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the router directly at the test socket?

Is the voice service ok with no noise on the line?

Thanks

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

We no longer have a landline phone so i can't check the line for noise, but I believe we do have an Open Reach test socket so i'll update once I have tested that out.

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

@OCE_Michelle  Hi again, I have tested it with the router plugged into the test socket and it has made no difference. According to https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Your-guide-to-master-sockets/ta-p/2205432 this could mean that there is an issue in my local area.

Highlighted

Hi LR1995,

Thanks for trying this. Do you have an alternative router that you can test with? If not then we can send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

@OCE_MichelleNo we don't have any alternative routers, our last one got sent back when we received the wifi hub.

Highlighted

Hi LR1995

I've ordered a replacement router for testing, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

Thanks, will do

Highlighted
Highlighted
Repeat Guest

@OCE_DebbieGood Afternoon, I have tested the new router and the issue still persists. Wired download speed is capped at around 10mbps and wireless around 7mbps. Unless there is an issue with the socket it seems there isn't much else that can be done on my end.

Highlighted

Hi LR1995

Would it be possible to leave the replacement router connected to the test socket for at least 48hrs whilst DLM is monitoring the connection (with the new router connected)

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

@OCE_Debbie  Okay that's it set up ready to go.

Highlighted

Hi LR1995

Thank you, we will check the connection stats again on Friday.

Debbie