Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Very Slow Broadband

11 REPLIES 11
Chatterbox

Hi All, 

Could anyone please help me with my broadband speed?

Reported my issue to talktalk on the 01/01/20 with regards to broadband speed dropping all the time and having to reboot the router regularly, this has got progressively worse and currently i'm sat on a 15mbps download and a 15mbps upload speed, and rebooting the router is no longer working! I'm expected to get 60mbps, and have since i joined TalkTalk but since the 01/01 ive been unable to maintain a constant connection.

Called TalkTalk support around 5 mins ago and they advised their system is down and need to call back in 3 hours! - Is anyone on here able to help with this at all? I did request a DLM reset on my previous post https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Request-for-a-DLM-reset/m-p/2440774 and didn't realise this required an Openreach visit as previously with BT this was done remotely.

Can anyone help with this? These are currently my line stats:

Actual Rate [Kbps]Maximum Rate [Kbps]Noise Margin [dB]Attenuation [dB]Power [dBm]

DownstreamUpstream

Thanks All

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Jjbmx,

I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential fault. Can I confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as no dial tone or any noise on the line?

Thanks

Community Star

Hi @Jjbmx I can see that the stunning @OCE_Michelle is on the case things will get better now. 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Chatterbox

Hi!

I have tried to call my landline and make a call although i am not getting through, i am plugged in via the test socket with a filter and that was the same unfortunately!

Thanks

Jaye

Hi Jaye,

Does the telephone line seem dead, is there a dial tone?

Chris

Chatterbox
Hi Chris,

Looks like the BT faceplate is playing up on my socket, was trying things from the master socket and now my phone extension has stopped working, however works on the faceplate. (i have the NTE5C MK4) - wouldn't assume this is a wiring problem in my house as its been fine for 12 or so years and none of the cables can be touched. (i do now have dial tone after plugging into the master socket)

Currently sitting on 27mbps down and 12 up, and this hasn't moved or increased for 6 days.

Is there any chance a BT engineer could be arranged to look at the socket as it seems to be the NTE5C has some sort of a problem or a potential line problem?

I previously sat on 61mbps for months without problems, however for some reason it has settled now at 27mbps which seems a bit odd.

Apologies for slow reply,
Jaye

Hi Jjbmx,

DLM has moved you to a faster profile in the early hours of this morning, your sync speed is know 42.1Mbps

If there is a problem with your extension wiring we can arrange a visit from one of our engineer (there's more information about engineer visits here - Engineers charges)

Thanks

Chris

Chatterbox
Hi Chris, 

Thanks for your reply, there isn't a problem with the extension wiring, i'm sure this is a problem with the filtered faceplate on the socket itself, as none of the internal wiring can be touched its all inside the walls as i live in a new build.

Obviously i get the process that BT are not liable for internal wiring, however with the broadband issues that i have been having i'm pretty sure this is the face plate causing issues as the connection did remain stable when connected via the master socket, and intermittently started dropping out after connecting via the face plate again.

If the face plate is at fault, who covers this, would i be charged? - I don't believe this is my equipment as open reach wired this in around 2 years ago when they had to install a new line (and consequently stapled through the cable but left it!!)

Thanks all, 
Jaye
Chatterbox
However i can confirm i have moved up to 39mbps sync speed which still isn't brilliant, but looks as if its on the mend very slowly...

Jaye

Hi Jjbmx,

Thanks for the update. If the connection continues to remain stable then hopefully DLM will continue to increase the broadband speed.

Thanks

Community Star

Hi Jaye

Just popping in to answer the specific question about responsibility for the Master Socket faceplate and extension wiring.

When Openreach install a complete Master Socket including service specific faceplate then Openreach will offer a warranty of 12 months on the installation and complete Master Socket. However, after the 12 months the responsibility for the customer removable faceplate falls to the end user customer along with the connected extension wiring.

If there's no fault when connecting the router and microfilter to the Test Socket i.e. connecting direct to the incoming Openreach line, but there is a noticeable deterioration in service performance when refitting the faceplate then that does indicate something amiss with the faceplate and or internal wiring.

Openreach will only take responsibility for their network wired up to the Master Socket Test Socket. The TalkTalk engineers can sort out everything else for you on your side of the Test Socket.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer