Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Very erratic speeds and regular disconnections

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Garawa

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange the engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi Garawa

Thanks for the Private Message.

The engineer visit has been arranged for 06/03 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

The engineer came, did a load of tests and confirmed there was no problem inside the house. He plugged his gadget into the test socket and got 1Mbps and said our neighbours were getting considerably higher. He confirmed there was no problem with our set up but he replaced the main socket just in case. He said it was an issue with the overhead line (which he replaced) and a problem at the exchange. He left us with speeds of 35Mbps.

Within a few hours, these had reduced to 4Mbps. I replied back to the text I was sent asking if it was fixed to say it wasn't. The speed dropped to 0.4Mbps and then I lost the internet entirely. As the person on the text was checking, the router reset itself and came back with a speed of 35Mbps. The person said it wasn't TalkTalk that reset the router. 2 hours later, the speed was 4Mbps and the router rebooted itself again.

Saturday morning, our speeds were 0.1Mbps. I rebooted the router and the speed stayed at over 32Mbps all day (even with heavy usage on a peak Saturday evening) so I never replied back to the text asking to resolve this issue again. Speed this morning (Sunday) was again 0.4Mbps and webpages wouldn't load so I rebooted the router and it came back with 35Mbps.

It clearly seems that I have my speed back but gradually slows until the router needs rebooting which is the issue I had a couple of months ago. This is now a new router, new cable, new internal socket and new exterior cable to the pole. The engineer has said there is no issue inside the house so any ideas why I have to reboot the router twice a day to get fast speeds?

Highlighted

Hi

There have been errors on the line and I can see you have rebooted the router.

Can you turn the router off for a full 30 minutes so a new session can be established and we can then see if the errors re-occurr.   If there are errors then a follow up engineer visit may be required.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

OK. Speed dropped to 0.1Mbps at 19:15 (Tuesday 10th) so the router has now been switched off for just over 30 minutes and has reconnected at 33Mbps. I would appreciate it if this could be kept an eye on to see if this happens again.

Thank you.

Highlighted

Hi Garawa

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you post back on this thread if the speed does drop again?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

It was 16Mbps this morning. When my children came home from school, there was no internet and the red light stayed on the router for quite a while. My wife came home and switched the router off. I turned it back on 45 minutes later (around 17:30) and speeds were near the 30s again. 

4 hours later and speeds are good although well below the 36Mbps we can get and they are dropping slowly (currently 24Mbps).

Highlighted

Hi Garawa,

Sync speed is currently 31.1Mbps, how has it been since your last post?

Chris

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

It seems OK, I have just got a speed of 30Mbps but then nobody has been at home all day in case the speed did drop. Hopefully it is OK but I will check again in the morning as it has a habit of disconnecting overnight.

Highlighted

Hi Garawa,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

OK. I think we will need the engineer back out. All week the internet has been stable. I have not noticed any disconnections nor have I had to reboot the router and speeds have been high twenties. At 4pm (ish) we "lost" the internet with all devices stating they were offline until the router was rebooted. After that, everything was fine but our speeds are only 3-4Mbps. My upload speed is suddenly much higher - 11Mbps and I have never seen it that fast.

Both myself and my wife will be working from home and we have 3 primary children being home schooled next week so cannot manage with such paltry speeds. Before anyone says that this is down to demand and we should get used to slow speeds, this is the same problem that has existed since November. It just goes away for a while and comes back and with all internal equipment replaced, it is an issue outside the house.

TalkTalk, you asked me to report back so clearly a change must have been made as all has been well. What was done to make my internet stable for the last week. It was too much of a coincidence otherwise. If the engineer doesn't fix this, I will want a refund on my bill as I am paying for 30Mbps+ but, in most instances, luck to get a tenth of that.

Highlighted

Hi Garawa

Apologies for this.

Your line is showing in sync at 15.9mb.

Please can you confirm possible engineer charges and provide your availability for an engineer visit AM and PM?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Yes I agree to all of this as before. We will be working from home so AM or PM will be fine.

I would like to confirm that the engineer before confirmed there was no problems inside the house and that he said the problem was at the exchange. It seems that issue has resumed. We have a new router, a new main socket and a new line to the house. Nothing more can be done our end.

I have asked a few times. How can I get speeds of 1.2Mbps DOWNLOAD but 10.1Mbps UPLOAD only for a reboot to boost speeds more than ten-fold? That doesn't make sense? And what did TT do to the line when asking me to check it and the internet strangely is fast and stable? If I knew what improved it, it would help to resolve it again.

Highlighted

Hi Garawa

Apologies, I'm not sure why the speed keeps dropping and as the line tests are clear this will need an engineer to complete further investigations.

In regards to the previous fault raised, the notes advise that the engineer completed work at the cabinet and renewed the drop wire. They also left notes to advise no faults were found with the router or extension wiring.

I have arranged the engineer visit for 23/03/2020 PM (1pm - 6pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Ok, here's an update after Monday's engineer. He again found no fault in the house but had suspicions at the box. He put us on a new line whatever that means which means we now have a new router, new main socket, new line from the house to the pole and a new line to the box. Our speeds did not drop below 37Mbps in all my tests and the connection was the most stable for ages.

Then on Wednesday, the internet stopped and restarted a short while later. All devices show as being connected (normally I would get a yellow ! on the connection icon) yet hang as if they are unresponsive. A reboot of the router brings back a fast connection. This has happened a fair bit today (Friday) and each time it appears as if there is internet yet nothing happens - webpages cycle the loading process but do not time out and Alexa has a blue flashing light for several minutes when asking her the time. 

The engineer said he had suspicions about the cabinet but that it falls on deaf ears. I fully accept that, under the current extreme circumstances, this dropping of speeds between nothing and 37Mbps could be down to heavy local use with everyone working at home. I'm not sure what more can be done nor what can be investigated further given the situation.

Highlighted

Hi Garawa

Apologies for the delay.

If you run a speed test today what speed are you receiving?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

At 12:53 the speed was 20.4Mbps. The connection has cut out a few times (whilst showing green on the router) but each time resolved itself a few minutes later and reached speeds in excess of 30Mbps. On one occasion, the router light did go red but a reset rectified this and came back with a fast speed again. The fact that the speeds go much higher after a reboot of the router suggests that this is much further down the line. I guess the current situation makes this difficult to assess however.

Highlighted

Hi Garawa,

Thanks for the update and I'll take another look now. The line test is still clear, however it looks like the sync speed has dropped. As the sync speed still appears to be varying this would probably require another engineer visit investigation.

Thanks

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

A further update. Speeds have been slower (understandable in the current climate) but stable. On Sunday and Monday we had a connection (green lights) at 0.0Mbps which required several reboots to get a usable speed. One test after a reboot took 107ms then a connection speed of just 4Mbps. On most occasions, the speed quickly dropped to 0.7Mbps.

Tuesday up until today, with everyone back working from home, the connection has been stable at around 14Mbps and no reboots have been required. The engineer who came said he suspects there is a problem with the cabinet in the village and has reported this on many occasions. With a new router, new cable, new socket, new line to the pole and a new line to the cabinet, his suspicions must carry some validity. If not, Talk Talk are reducing my speed.

As I am paying for a 30Mbps+ connection but only seem to get this for a few days after an engineer visit before it drops, am I due some reduction in my fee bearing in mind this issue was reported long before Christmas.

Highlighted

Hi Garawa,

Thanks for keeping us updated. As the line test is still clear we would have to raise this back to Openreach as an appointed engineer visit. At the moment we're prioritising engineer visits for total loss of service faults. As the engineers are not allowed to enter the property at the moment due to the Covid - 19 guidelines, would it be possible to post back here in a few weeks and we can see if this has changed and we can re-book an engineer for you?

Thanks