cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Very erratic speeds and regular disconnections

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

That's fine. Generally the speeds come back to a decent level and working from home is OK. We just have to pause for while sometimes. I don't there is anything else he can do inside the property anyway and the previous engineer seemed convinced this was a wider (expensive!) issue.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Garawa

Thanks for your reply.

Hopefully the engineer will get to the bottom of this fault once we raise this back to Openreach.

Debbie

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

OK. The last month has been awful. The issue came back a couple of weeks after the engineer came. Both engineers left us with 34Mbps which slowed about a week later. We have had a new router, new cables, new box inside the house and a new cable from the house to the pole. Despite this, the last 2 weeks has been woeful - both from speed and Talk Talk customer service.

Sun 31st - Internet was unusable. The router had to be rebooted twice and it rebooted itself at least once just to get about 8Mbps. We did a live chat and was told an engineer was needed but the system was down. We were given a link to contact back on but it gave a 404 error. Internet resolved itself so we left it.

During the week, speeds were often less than 1Mbps. My wife is a key worker working from home. I have 3 primary school children needing to be home schooled and I am a student trying to read journals and write assignments. All has been impossible at points.

Sun 7th - Internet again was awful (0.2Mbps). My service was showing as having a fault and that a new router would be sent. Router was "connected" but showing 0.0Mbps. I had to reboot the router several times to get 5-10Mbps.

Mon 8th (am) - Another live chat was carried out which I queried whether the fault was with the service or the router. I was told it was the service at fault and that the router would be cancelled. An engineer couldn't be booked because the system was down again and to try back 1 hour later. I stated the internet had stabilised to 12Mbps and was told a line reset had been carried out.

Mon 8th (pm) - I did a live chat later that day to be told an engineer could not be booked because the fault was much bigger and was currently being worked on by engineers and that my speeds would improve after that. They didn't.

Tues 9th - Speeds had not improved. New router arrives. I tried to do a live chat but the option has been removed as it now says there is a fault and that a BrightSparks engineer needs to be booked but this AGAIN cannot be booked currently and to try back in 7 days!

Wed 10th - Internet has constantly cut out. Basic web-browsing on a single device has been difficult and an online meeting disconnected several times. I woke up with virtually no devices using data and speeds of 0.2Mbps. Rebooting laptop only improved speeds to 1.2Mbps and this fluctuated wildly all day.

I wish to repeat this issue is now 6 months old, is not being resolved by engineer visits, is unstable and impossibly slow and, despite being told we need an engineer visit, we are being given all kinds of excuses as to why one cannot be sent. I want TalkTalk to admit the problem cannot be fixed. If it can, I want my speeds to remain at 30Mbps+ (to be fair I'm happy with 20+) for longer than a couple of days. I also want a refund for paying for fibre for 6 months but getting speeds SLOWER than the Tiscal dial up I had 15 years ago! I have had my details stolen when TT was hacked and I got a paltry apology then. This needs sorting NOW or an admittance that the problem is not resolvable.

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

So the response is a £10 Amazon voucher with no engineer and no response? Awful. 

Early Sunday morning, all my neighbours appeared to be asleep, no devices in the house were on (apart from my phone) and my speeds were 0.2. A reboot got me 1.2Mbps. Every day it says we need an engineer and to try again in 7 days. Everyday another test says there is a problem in our area currently being investigated. I need answers but nobody is responding.

Weirdly, I'm logged in and have no option to Live Chat but my wife has anonymously. 

Highlighted
Community Star

@Garawa, I will re-escalate this thread into the workflow. After so many weeks since the last correspondence it would have been assumed closed. It may take a couple of days for staff to get back to it.

The vouchers have been sent to many customers who have had trouble reaching help during lockdown. That response was not directly in connection with you posting again this week!

Gliwmaeden2
Please click "like" if this helped you!
Highlighted

Hi Garawa,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing problems with your service 

Line test is passing but I can see that your connection is dropping and sync speed has dropped - are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Phone line is fine; no noise that I can tell.

We received an update yesterday to say that the engineer had completed whatever work he was doing. I haven't had to reboot the router and this morning my wife was able to work from home and my children were streaming 3 online lessons at the same time. Success.

However, speeds are still 8-13Mbps and you are suggesting there may still be a problem. When I checked yesterday, the line test says a new router was being sent. I still haven't installed the one I received last week(!!!!!) as I was told the fault was at the exchange.

Highlighted

Hi Garawa,

Current sync speed is 16.5Mbps, it's being limited by your line profile. If the connection remains stable over the next couple of days DLM should move you to a faster profile. Could you just monitor for 48 hours and if the connection continues to drop and/or speed doesn't improve we can look into it further

Chris

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Brilliant, will do thank you. I have to say, I haven't seen a faster speed than that for weeks so I will keep an eye out so fingers crossed!

Highlighted

Hi Garawa

Please can you post back on this thread on Thursday, we can then check the connection stats again.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Up until Wednesday evening all was good. We all were able to work without any problems. Speed wasn't great but every time I checked it was over 13Mbps. Last night it started cutting out again under very light load.

Thursday morning - awful. Internet cuts out constantly and speed checks show 0.0Mbps. With everything else off, a simple SD YouTube stream buffers every few minutes and looks blocky until the speed picks up again.

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Up until Wednesday evening all was good. We all were able to work without any problems. Speed wasn't great but every time I checked it was over 13Mbps. Last night it started cutting out again under very light load.

Thursday morning - awful. Internet cuts out constantly and speed checks show 0.0Mbps. With everything else off, a simple SD YouTube stream buffers every few minutes and looks blocky until the speed picks up again.

{Edit} This message took around 2 minutes to send originally!

Highlighted

Hi Garawa,

I'm really sorry to hear that. I've re-run the line test now which is still clear. If all testing has been completed at the test socket with different routers then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. Would you like us to arrange this for you?

Thanks

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Yes please, although two previous engineer visits said our internal setup was fine and that they suggested the issue lie at the box. We've had new routers, cables, internal socket and line from the house to the pole. Not sure what more they can check.

At 7.40 this morning, no devices were in use and I came downstairs to find the router rebooting itself. At 8.40, I updated an app that was 24Mb in size and, after 6 minutes, said there was still 17 minutes left to finish! I tried running a speed test for 8 minutes but each time it couldn't connect and eventually showed 0.9Mbps with 0.0 upload speed.

Currently, (9.40), everything is fine with three children running video lessons, my wife working from home and me sending you this message. Our internet is fine so I refuse to believe it is our internal setup especially when can do lots under high usage and get almost nothing under hardly any usage and our signal shows as strong and with little interference.

Highlighted

Hi Garawa,

I've sent you a PM to confirm some details so that we can arrange the engineer visit 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted

Hi Garawa,

Thanks for the PM, I've replied requesting a little more information 

Chris

Highlighted

Hi Garawa,

I've replied to your PM

Chris

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Thank you Chris. I appreciate that the engineer is on hold for now due to an external fault and to wait until Thursday but this makes it FIVE weekends in a row where a fault has been identified, an engineer cannot be sent because of this and to wait until the Thursday.

Clearly, there is a significant problem outside of my control which keeps reoccurring and therefore I am due a refund as this has been an issue for 6 months. If that is not the case, then every weekend a fault being identified is a lie.

Our internet has been quite stable today (although speeds are slow but manageable) so I will keep an eye on it and report back. This time last week, you were confident that the external fault had finally been resolved. I have been informed to check my internal set up (which I have not done due to the external fault) and been sent another new router to install (which I haven't as the existing one is new and showing as being the latest available and up to date). I'm not sure anyone knows what is happening and keeps repeating the same actions to pacify me!

Highlighted

Hi Garawa,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience, the type of engineer we book depends on the line test outcome. Although the engineer is non-appointed so generally will only carry out work outside your property, they may contact you directly to carry out further investigation 

Chris

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Internet has been better although we have seen speeds of 0.3Mbps however I haven't noticed the router rebooting itself or noticed many dropouts. This morning (Wednesday) my wife was able to have an online meeting whilst my 3 children viewed online learning lessons suggesting my home connection is fine.

But, this afternoon, under very light use (no streaming or video calls), the internet is slow and even loading a basic webpage with nothing else running is taking a while. I then allowed my young child to use BBC iPlayer and it buffered an HD video every 10 seconds or so for around 4-5 seconds but some points for over 20 seconds. This was the same experience for the webpages. I will keep checking and report back tomorrow.

{EDIT}. Would you believe it, after 8 or 9 instances of the internet dropping (where I can't even connect to do a speed check with nothing else running) my internet was unresponsive and I notice the router had rebooted itself. This occured at 15.30 shortly after posting this! Speed when it came back was 13Mbps and hasn't increased at all since the engineer fix at the weekend.