Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Very slow since the free upgrade

58 REPLIES 58
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi, i wonder if somebody could have a look at our broadband at your end please ?

We had the free upgrade to fibre a couple of months ago and our broadband has times when it is slower than dial up and seems to drop altogether sometimes ? 

I have tried rebooting the router etc.....the usual stuff ?

Thank you,

Nigel

Highlighted
Community Star

Staff will be back on here from Monday,  @essexbloke.

You may find Chat helpful over the weekend.  They are available from links on this page:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

Gliwmaeden2
Please click "like" if this helped you!
Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Thanks, I'll wait until someone who knows what they are doing comes on, all that master socket rubbish bores me, I'm not daft, thanks.
Highlighted
Community Star

Sometimes solving a problem is not very exciting. 

Other than running tests on your line,  you may well be asked whether you have plugged the router in at the master socket, @essexbloke.

The advantage of doing this through the forum is that you shouldn't notice the inconvenient loss of connection when tests are completing. Sometimes with Chat, the conversation suddenly stops then and it gets you not much further. 

You can also run line tests yourself from the service centre at a more convenient time for yourself. 

Gliwmaeden2
Please click "like" if this helped you!
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi essexbloke,

I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault. Does your master socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket for at least 48hrs so we can see if DLM makes any changes to the speed?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi, sorry i wasn`t around the other day when you posted.

I have plugged into the master / test socket as of 8.15 pm on September the 22nd.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi essexbloke,

Thanks for confirming this. Would it be possible to post back tomorrow as it can take DLM between 24-48hrs to make changes to the speed if the connection remains stable?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi, the broadband seemed to sometimes be ok.....not great but ok speed all day. 24th sept.

This evening 24th sept around 8.30pm, the wife is trying to watch catch up tv and it keeps buffering, it is hard wired into the router, not wireless..... i don`t think it ever buffered on "normal" broadband, i would rather they had left it as it was.

I never asked for fibre and was happy with it as it was.

Highlighted

Hi essexbloke,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which is clear, the connection looks stable since the router has been connected at the test socket and the sync speed also looks more stable. Did you receive a different router when you upgraded to fibre?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle.

No, we've had this one for several years ?

Thanks,

Nigel

Highlighted

Hi Nigel,

Ok, as the buffering is happening when connected wired would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thank you, yes, that would be great thanks, fingers crossed that will fix it.

Thanks again,

Nigel

Highlighted

Hi Nigel

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Oh, lovely, thanks everso much, will do.

Nigel

Highlighted
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi,

The new hub arrived today thank you.

I plugged into the master socket to be sure of connection, it worked for about 30 minutes then went to flashing amber lights.

I've switched it off, pressed reset etc....nothing .

Plugged the old router in and that was working.. 

That was on for most of the evening.

Around 11pm tried the new hub again for the benefit of the doubt, that's just flashing amber.

Plugged old one back in and it's back to buffering on the tv etc....I really don't know what to say ?

Sunday morning around 6am to 8am.....plugged the new hub in again, it connects and drops every couple of minutes.

I'll plug the old one back in, at least it gives us a connection even though it's very slow ????

We are out in the sticks and recently we have seen openreach guys up the poles nearby ?

This was all done plugged into the master/test socket

Highlighted

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear this. Could I just confirm, did you also replace the microfilter and cables when you connected up the new router?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi, 

Yes everything in the box.

The hub just kept flashing amber after a few minutes and didn't work at all.

I've been on the old router since yesterday, it's slow but working.

Thanks for helping me

Highlighted

Hi essexbloke,

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Sorry Chris none, I just spoke to a guy perfect.

It's a mystery to me.