I'm really at my wit's end here. Up until recently I was using my edgerouter X with a BT Openreach modem and it was behaving, but would sometimes disconnect. As of about a week ago it stopped working completely, and only the TalkTalk router would connect. I bought a Draytek Vigor 130 modem as I have heard good things about them and expected it to fix my issue, however I have spent the last 2 hours trying to get it to connect. Current best result was the PPPOE0 connection connecting for about a second, getting an IP address and DNS information etc., but then immediately disconnecting and refusing to reconnect. I lost the logs as I've done several factory resets since but it usually says something about "modem hangup no multilink"?
Really stuck as to what I can do at this point, currently using the TalkTalk provided router with my edgerouter in the DMZ, however I really want to use the edgerouter/vigor combo as the supplied router doesn't support hairpin NAT for whatever reason. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Solved! Jump to the Best Answer.
I should note that I have checked the Vigor 130 config and I think everything is in working order. It seems to connect to DSL fine and shows the correct line speeds for what I should get, however the actual ppoe connection fails. I have read a lot about the modem being in "bridge" mode, however the manual for the vigor says I shouldn't need to perform any extra configuration steps, and any guides on the internet regarding bridge mode have a completely different UI to the one that my modem presents.
Apologies for the delay.
Do you experience any issues with the TT router or do you just prefer to use your own router?
Hopefully our Community Members can provide advice on your own router.
Thanks for the response. It seems as though I've learned my lesson, don't try any configuration while hungry and tired! Tried again this morning, followed the guide on DrayTek's customer support site and the combo worked first try 😫.
For what it's worth, I'm using my own hardware as the router provided by TalkTalk doesn't allow for Hairpin NAT, ie I cannot access services on the local network using my external IP. I've seen in a number of other threads that this is due to "security concerns" on TalkTalk's part, which I'm not sure I follow but there we go.
This seems to have helped me. Following the Draytek config instructions for the Vigor 130 plus TalkTalk has sorted out my link stability, it seems.
https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-isp-talktalk#vigor-vdsl2-modems is the link. If you are having problems then go back to this page as I believe Draytek have been changing it. I originally configured my modem using the instructions on the page, but when I went back today (following the advice in this thread), I found I needed to make two changes - the VCI had been 38 and is now recommended to be 101, and the MTU had been 1520 and is now 1492. Changed those and happy days, at least for now.