cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want To Know How To Chamge My Network Password On New Router!

9 REPLIES 9
Participant

Hi I am due to install my new Talk Talk Fibre Hub in next few weeks.However I would like to know how to change my wireless password,I located the  information page aboui what to do but wanted to check this message_Login with your router username and password. You’ll find these on the sticker underneath the removable settings card on back of your Wi-Fi Hub.

I looked on back of hub on sticker as directed but i can only see  my Talk Talk network password and the Talk Talk  network name but can not see my router username unless the network name is the same as router,Could you confirm  where the router name is please

Tasmint4 no skills ! Stuck in 20th century! Looking for patient kind help to improve my internet package and pc knowledge!
Whizz Kid

Hi tasmint4, The info you need is attached to the router on a sticker hidden behind the tab. You have to slide out the removeable tab and check the last 2 lines on the sticker and you will see the Router Username and Password.

The username is always admin and (if it's the same as mine) the password will be 5 capital letters a number and 2 more capital letters e.g. ABCDE7JK

use https😕/192.168.1.1 to get to the router's login page, input the username & password then go to the WI FI settings section and there is a link to "change settings"

Whizz Kid

Don't ask me how the emoji got in there, I just typed the router address. I'll try a different way but I'm not sure if this will generate a useable live link :

192.168.1.1/0.1/gui/?item=html/wizard/wizard.html#/login/

Whizz Kid

Hi, @td123 

The emoji appeared because you typed a colon with a forward slash, and has been happening for a week or so. There's no way around it, I don't think, so TT will have to sort it out.

: plus / = 😕

I've learnt a lot about TT since joining the forum on 30/12/18..........I say no more.
Participant

Thanks for your help! So hopefully all will go well and I will be able to change password after setting it up.I notice a lot of security tips strongly advise changing your router password from the one that is supplied with hub!

Tasmint4 no skills ! Stuck in 20th century! Looking for patient kind help to improve my internet package and pc knowledge!
Philosopher

The only reason to change the password would be you don't want anyone to be able to read it off your router in your home.

Martin
Participant

Hi this is  what I found and why good idea to do this!

You probably know that every wireless router comes pre-set with a default username and password, which is needed in the first place to install and connect your router. The worst part: it’s easy for hackers to guess it, especially if they know the manufacturer.

So, make sure you change them both immediately.

A good wireless password should be at least 20 characters long and include numbers, letters, and various symbols.

Philosopher

I think paranoia is getting the better of you.

Why would anyone want to hack a private router ?

Don't believe all you read online, work out how many combinations you can get using a basic 8 letter password and then try to guess it !

Martin
Participant

The main worry is that when I install the new fibre router and try to change password etc I remember I  had a lot of difficulty last time with my last router  and spent hours on phone to talk talk becaus in spite of their insrtructions it would not work my end and they had to do something their end to enable be to get screen up to change password! I hope this is a bit easier with new improved router!

Participant

Hi Martin

I agree you right and proably a private home not  the  first target and I will admit that  that most of my family have not bothered to change theirs in rheir homes and not had problems  but surely it better to be safe than sorry! and no big deal changing it soon as it is possible! ! Even private networks can have things  like amazon account passwords bank account ones and facebook etc details going through systems! I know one problem could be that I forget my password!  However the router can be set  to factory conditions so the original password iis retrieved if I forget my own one! Evey account advises you to change your password regularly so why not the router one!