Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

What actually is Fibre Speed Boost?

33 REPLIES 33
tmj9815
Participant

Hi, joined TalkTalk yesterday, swapped from Plusnet after five happy years with them.  What attracted me to TalkTalk was the monthly cost compared to Plusnet and the others, and something called 'Fibre Speed Boost'.  I have no idea whether or not I have read and understood exactly what it is.  So far, my line speed is running at around 35mbps tested using a laptop ethernet connection and the TalkTalk speed test app.  This is around the same speed I was getting with Plusnet (until they hiked the price up by a tenner!).

This is the email I received from TalkTalk regarding my new connection:

Your estimated broadband speeds

Minimum Guaranteed speed

32.2 Mb

Typical download speed

36.8 Mb to 56.3 Mb

Excellent!  Minimum guaranteed is good enough, my actual speed is around 35mbps, I have FTTC and Openreach states I can theoretically get up to 56mbps, so, what is the add-on called Fibre Speed Boost (cost £5 a month but free for the next 18 months) actually do?!  I was expecting more speed then Plusnet was supplying me, more than 35mbps with this add-on, or am I expecting too much or have I read wrong regarding this Fibre Speed Boost add-on?

Set up at home is perfect.  Openreach came to my house three years ago when I changed to fibre, replaced the socket to a two port socket and tested the line, no noise, all ready for fibre.  I have used all the cables that have come with the hub packaging. The hub is in the same place as the Plusnet hub.  Whether i have an ethernet or wireless connection, the speed is around 35mbps.  No interference from other electrical items.   Only one device used on the network when carrying out the test.

I have already broached this subject via the online chat facility and got what I think was a default reply regarding guaranteed minimum speeds which is far enough only I didn't get a definitive reply to what Fibre Speed Boost does for my line.

Apologies if this subject has been asked and answered time and again. I have read through the forums and I just can't work out what is what.  Thank you for reading.

FritzCT
Problem Solver

I assume you are on the Faster Fibre deal which is a  40/10 line. The Boost removes the cap on the 40/10 line allowing you to get speeds >40 Mbps.

What is the line speed on the router (not throughout speed)? If it's 40 then it's possible the boost hasn't kicked in for whatever reason.

Or given the range of speeds you were given it might just be down to the losses between the cabinet and your property. TBH it's a bit of an odd range because the low end is in the 40/10 range and the upper end is in the superfast range. Maybe that's why they're not charging you for the boost - it may not benefit you but that's purely speculation on my part.

Anyway the boost removes the cap on a 40/10 line allowing you to sync at speeds greater than 40 Mbps.

Fritz

martswain
Philosopher

If your actual speed is above the minimum guaranteed speed and no faults are present on the line, neither TT or Openreach will try to improve your speed.

As your guaranteed speed is well below 40, TT should not even attempt to sell you the speed boost as there is absolutely no certainty that your speed will increase above 40 and even if it does, it could fall back to 32.2 and still be performing as per your contract.

Martin
tmj9815
Participant

Thank you for the replies.  The line is still running at around 35.9mbps today using an ethernet connected laptop and TalkTalk speed check app.  The line speed showing in the router dashboard is 39.2mbps.  I spoke to my neighbour this morning whilst emptying the bins and he's with BT on regular fibre and he states his line runs at around 43mbps give or take.  We're next door to each other sharing the same FTTC.

I honestly thought after researching the other providers that the advertised 'Fibre Speed Boost' would give me a faster line but at the 'normal' fibre price.  Got to give TT their due, I was taken in by their marketing!  Have a nice day!

FritzCT
Problem Solver

If your line is capable of faster speeds then that's exactly what the boost will give you so I don't think you've been taken in as such, especially as the boost is FOC. 

You can check here https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/# to see what the maximums OR/BT say your line could be capable of (use the address checker link) but bear in mind the figures aren't directly relevant to you. They are more related to how TT give you estimates of what they can provide.

IMO your best bet is to wait for an OCE to pick this up so they can check your line just in case there's an issue.

Fritz

tmj9815
Participant

Thanks for the reply Fitz, your link to BT doesn't work for me, stating it doesn't recognise my phone number however, I did run the Openreach speed checker last month which gave a detailed run down of speeds for ADSL, Fibre and Fast Fibre, the fastest speed for my line was stated as 55mbps (and yes I do realise that from the cabinet to my router that speed would be lower) so my line is capable of more than the 35mbps (I ran the speed test again via Openreach and it states tonight my speed is currently 31.1mbps, nearly a mbps lower then the TalkTalk minimum guaranteed speed!).

I appreciate all the replies and I will wait for an OCE to reply bearing in mind the time of the year.  The most important thing is that the line is working which it is, so I can watch fluffy kitten videos over the Christmas period.

Thanks again.

martswain
Philosopher

To get the BT checker to work you need to enter your Postcode not your number, after that select your address.

You will see estimated for clean and impacted lines, but unless an engineer actually goes out and checks the number of joints on your line you will never know which figures to use, so TT always err on the low side.

You internal wiring and extensions can also affect speeds, so what you neighbours get is should be similar but not exactly the same.

Last year, one board member had much reduced speeds due to spider webs in their master socket !

What you should check is the connection "up time" and if you are not getting disconnections and a stable line rate that's a good sign.

Speed test results, even via LAN cable can and do vary, so don't stress if they go below what you think you should have, a stable line rate is what you should be looking for.

Martin
FritzCT
Problem Solver

It only works with BT phone numbers.  Click on the little ADDRESS CHECKER bit and type your address in.

Then it will be as described by @martswain 

Fritz

tmj9815
Participant

It states the line is capable of speeds of up to 56.3mbps.  So theoretically, given Openreach sorted out my socket three years ago, its FTTC, my neighbour gets over 40mbps and my last provider Plusnet, the line never once experienced downtime and never 'ran slow' in over three years,  theoretically I could achieve more than the 35.7mbps I've just recorded.  Theoretically.  😁

Community Team

Hi tmj9815,

Line test is passing and sync speed is currently 39.2Mbps. You are on an 80Mbps profile so DLM isn't limiting your speed. Can you switch your router off and leave it off for 30 minutes, then switch back on and run a few more wired speed tests at least 10 minutes apart - please let us know how you get on

Thanks

Chris

tmj9815
Participant

All done, fastest speed achieved, 36.9mbps.

Community Team

Hi tmj9815,

Thanks for trying this. I've checked and the sync speed hasn't increased since your last post. Does the master socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket for at least 48hrs so we can see if the sync speed starts to increase? Do you also have an alternative router that you can test with?

Thanks

tmj9815
Participant

Hi Michelle, thank you for the reply.  My socket is the ADSL faceplate (SSFP) type with two ports, one for my telephone line the other for the router. It was installed three years ago by Openreach when I moved to Fibre whilst with Plusnet.  There are no other ports on this socket.  I have taken of the front of this faceplate and it has no test socket, just one socket for a telephone cable.

Community Team

Hi tmj9815,

Ok thanks for confirming this. Do you have an alternative router that you can test with?

Thanks

tmj9815
Participant

I have my last providers router, a Plusnet router.  I don't have my TalkTalk logon details though, the ones I need for this other router to logon to TalkTalk.  Can you provide me with these or tell me were I can find them?  Are they on my TalkTalk 'My Account' page?

Community Team

Hi tmj9815

This help page should help Set up a non-TalkTalk router

Alternatively I can send a replacement router for testing, please let me know if you would like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

tmj9815
Participant

Hi Debbie, can confirm that the old router won't allow the login setting to be changed to anything other then ending in Plusnet, so I have no router to test this line on.  May I ask, what is up with this TalkTalk router I was originally sent in that I can't use it for testing purposes?  

Community Team

Hi tmj9815,

I'm sorry to hear that this hasn't worked. Would you like to try the replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

tmj9815
Participant

Hi Michelle, may I ask, is there a problem my end?  What would another router achieve that this one can't?  Is there not a 'magic switch' your end that can be pressed to up my speeds?  Failing that, then please send another router.

Community Team

Hi tmj9815

This would rule out any possible faults with the router as the line tests are not detecting any line faults.

We can then check to see if the speed starts to increase after 48hrs with the replacement router connected.

Thanks

Debbie