cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

What actually is Fibre Speed Boost?

tmj9815
Participant

Hi, its eight working days since I was told a router would be sent to me for testing purposes but so far nothing has come in the post.  Can anyone confirm the date it was sent and whether or not there is a tracking number for the package?  Thanks.

Community Team

Hi tmj9815,

I can't check this at the moment because of a system issue but I'll check later and get back to you

Chris

tmj9815
Participant
Vielen Dank!
Community Team

Sorry about this, doesn't look as though the router has been sent so I've ordered one for you. It should be with you within the next couple of days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery

Thanks

Chris

tmj9815
Participant

Hi, router for testing purposes will arrive today.  I would assume I switch off my current router for 30 minutes, then plug in the new router, let it start up, and then carry out speed checks every now and again for the next few days and report back on here the speeds achieved?

Community Team

Hi tmj9815

Yes please. Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

tmj9815
Participant

Hi, new router has been on for 24 hours now, a number of speed checks done via ethernet cable to a laptop, no speeds recorded above 37mbps, lowest was this morning at 31mbps.

Community Team

Hi tmj9815,

Your sync speed is 39.2Mbps down and 13.2Mbps up. Your throughput speeds are generally above the guaranteed minimum so this wouldn't be seen as a fault, Unfortunately it just looks as though your line won't support faster speeds

Thanks

Chris

tmj9815
Participant

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm slightly confused by all this.  TalkTalks initial welcoming email stated 'typical download speeds 36.8 Mb to 56.3 Mb'.  The Openreach website states the line is capable of 56.6mbps. One of the replies above from OCE_Chris states 'You are on an 80Mbps profile so DLM isn't limiting your speed'.  My neighbour next door shares the same cabling outside the house to the same cabinet and achieves speeds over 40mbps within his home.  I know I have the guaranteed speed but I moved to TalkTalk when I seen the advertising bumf about faster speeds using a product called 'Fibre Speed Boost'.  I'm surprised with 'Unfortunately it just looks as though your line won't support faster speeds' considering Openreach were on my estate last year rolling out FTTC and your own website is advertising for my postcode, 67mbps superfast fibre broadband for £21.95 as is BT, Plusnet and Yodafone.  

Is there anyway you can turn on/switch on/press a button and upgrade my account to superfast 67mbps fibre for one day to see what happens?

I moved to TalkTalk from Plusnet because the advertisement stated faster speeds, I was taken in with the 'typical download speeds up to 56.3mbps.  I'm not even after 50mbps, anything over 40 would make me do a dance around the living room.

Thank you

Community Team

The speedboost just removes the 40Mbps cap but your line has to be able to allow your router to sync at speeds above 40Mbps to benefit from the boost. DLM can set a profile that limits your speed but in your case the profile set by DLM isn't limiting your speed, it will allow your router to sync at up to 80Mbps but  it appears to be the line itself that won't allow the router to sync at a higher speed.

If average speeds are below the guaranteed minimum then we can ask Openreach to investigate but if the speed is above the guaranteed minimum then this wouldn't be seen as a fault even if the top of the predicted range is much higher

Chris

tmj9815
Participant

Thanks Chris, so, hypothetically, if I was to cancel this contract today, then took out one of the current advertised products stating 67mbps superfast fibre for my actual postcode, are you saying my line would still never achieve more than the 36mbps speeds I'm currently getting regardless of whoever I went with?  

Community Team

Hi tmj9815,

It's hard to say because I don't know what line condition is giving you current sync speed and what the new provider would do when they took over the line that could potentially affect the speed. I think the sync speed would likely stay roughly the same but it could potentially increase (or decrease)

Chris

tmj9815
Participant

Thanks Chris.  Who would I speak to regarding my contract with TalkTalk, yourself or via the TalkTalk website?

Community Team

Hi tmj9815,

If you're thinking of changing provider you'd need to speak to our Loyalty Team. Please also see our Complaint Process

Thanks

Chris