would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

What does Guarantee mean

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
The snooper
Conversation Starter

On 20 August 2019 I placed order for FASTER fibre order no N68833648 and got the email message saying Download Speeds Maximum speed 75.4 Mb Typical speed range 66.7 Mb to 73.6 Mb Minimum guaranteed speed 60.5 Mb Upload Speeds Maximum speed 18.9 Mb Typical speed range 17.9 Mb to 18.9 Mb Minimum speed 5.0 Mb.

I have yet to get the Guaranteed down load speed of 60.5Mb/s. I have had at least 5 on line chats with talktalk going over and over the same tests  and being told everything is working normally but saying that the speed they get are only around 40Mb/s. My router dashboard gives a steady 40 and the online talktalk speed test gives about 30-35. I have had a Brightsparks engineer come and look and do a test and he said he could only get about 40Mb/s but thought that my account had not been upgraded to Faster Fibre

So what does the word GUARANTEED actually mean in the above context.

Anyone else had the same problem?

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi The snooper,

Could you confirm if the telephone number in your Community Profile is correct? Please do not post any personal information on the Community.

Did you add the speed boost? Is the speed boost showing active in your My Account?

Thanks

Highlighted
The snooper
Conversation Starter

My home phone number is now correct on my community account.

My Broadband package is not showing speed boost active although it does say I have FASTER fibre. See Below.

Broadband details

Faster Fibre

Unlimited, uncapped speeds

• Totally unlimited downloads
  • HomeSafe ® award-winning whole home online protection
  • Super Safe Boost

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi The snooper,

Thank you. The sync speed looks ok. Could you try switching the router off for a full 30 minutes and then run another wired speed test please.

Thanks

Highlighted
The snooper
Conversation Starter

Will do later Michelle. What speeds are you getting when you say the sync speed looks Ok?.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi The snooper

Your line is in sync at 80mb.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
The snooper
Conversation Starter

I have now done as suggested, turned the router off for well over 30 mins and done a speed test with computer plugged straight into the router and no other appliances linked.

I now get about 35Mb/s download speed using the talktalk speed test at talktalk.help.

This is still no where near the 60.5Mb/s

When the Brightsparks engineer came and tested things he also got about 40Mb/s When he looked up my account on his tablet he said that although I had signed up for Faster Broadband the necessary steps to allow faster speeds on my line had not been taken and it was showing that my max speed should be about 40Mb/s. Can you look into this for me please?

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi @The snooper

This is what we see in on our side. 

Sync Status =  In Sync

Downstream Speed (MBPS) = 80.0

Upstream Speed (MBPS) = 20.0

When you run the test, is there anything else connected and using the internet ie consoles/smart TV etc , also can you run more than 1 test over  short period of time, remembering to add your landline number when the test ends so that we can see it at this side. 

Thanks. 

Highlighted
The snooper
Conversation Starter

As I said in my previous message the tests I did earlier were done with no other appliances attached to the router, just my laptop plugged straight in on a very short lead. I will do some again but how do I add my landline number to the tests?

Have you looked at the status of my account as suggested by the Brightsparks engineer?

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

All tests are clear and router is in sync at 80mb.

Connecting directly to your router shows the actual throughput speed at the router of 75mb with a latency of 6ms. 

So the speed at the router is correct.

If testing with a device wired directly to the router (not over wifi), please make sure the device is capable of higher speeds as some older devices can have a slower network adapter within.

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted
The snooper
Conversation Starter

Thanks for this.

Since the Brightsparks engineer could only get about 40Mb I am pretty certain this is not the case, has anyone read his report?

When I go to my acount settings it suggests I upgrade to Faster Broadband, I have already done this but the account settings do not seem to have registered this.

When I go into my account settings it tells me that my promised speed is 40Mb/s and that everything is OK. It also suggest I upgrade to Faster Broadband. I think the system for my account needs checking to see that the upgrade has been registered.

This is the message I get from the dashboard, notice the word Promised, this is not 60.5 as Guaranteed.

Your Speed to your Router

Promised Speed: 39 Mb - 40 Mb, Measured Speed Today: 40 Mb

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

Ok, I think I'm on to something.  

The reason we think your line is in sync at 80mb, is we are looking at the wrong line.

The phone number you have on your profile has a wrong number in it. The second to last number.   Just searched for your last post IP address across our servers and found the correct service and traced this back to the correct phone number.  I suggest you check and update the number in your community profile 🙂

I'm looking at the correct line now.  The line is in sync at 39mb - the product is on 40mb in our network system.  Checking the account, I'm not showing the speed boost as added to your account, the account is on standard fibre at 40mb.

If you have requested the faster service, this is not present on your account.  I would give a call to our customer services and request that the speed boost is added if this is available.

Thanks

Karl. 

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted
The snooper
Conversation Starter

Thanks Karl,

Sorry about the wrong number, I have now corrected it. I have just been on to the chat room and they insist on going through all the usual checks etc. So far they have not activated the boost but I did get this reply.

Nolita1:

I can confirm that there is no speed boost on the account and that your Minimum Guaranteed Download should be 60.5

They were then trying to get me to pay extra for the boost, as far as you know is this part of the FASTER Broadband package?
Any ideas who might be able to sort this for me, a phone number or a letter do you think?

Highlighted
ferguson
Community Star

There are three basic broadband packages offered by TalkTalk: Fast Broadband; Fibre Broadband and Superfast Fibre. You are currently on the second of these. The third, which includes the so-called Speed Boost which can take your speed above 40Mbps subject to line conditions, is thus different from what you currently have. This is generally chargeable at an additional £5, but if you contact the customer loyalty team on the usual number, or using Live Chat, you may be able to negotiate a better deal.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi 

The faster Broadband is up to 40mb and has been added at a discount.

There is a speed boost that can then be added to increase the speed up to 80mb depending on the actual speed range of the line.

The customer service teams can add this for you but there is a charge for the Speed boost.  This is usually £5 per month.

If unhappy with any information our customer service colleagues have provided we would then suggest you follow our Complaint Process.

Regards,

Karl. 

Highlighted
The snooper
Conversation Starter

Thanks for the clarification. Why I was not told this over 2 months ago I do not understand, it seems that I might have got the wrong information in the confirmatory email when I signed up to Faster Broadband. I have now written to Headoffice (yes, by snail mail) to ask them to explain what is going on.

Highlighted
bigkenny
Wizz Kid
I always think its the name of these products that can confuse customers if you dont double check.

1,Fast Broadband
2,Faster Fibre Broadband
3,Superfast Fibre

Maybe TalkTalk should just rename them so easier for all customers to make it easier
say
1,Broadband (slow)
2,Fibre (mid)
3,Fast Fibre (fast)
Highlighted
The snooper
Conversation Starter
Yes, it would make things easier to understand. My beef is that when I signed up to Faster Fibre Broadband I was sent an email saying that we (Talktalk that is) Guarantee a minimum download speed of 60.5Mb/s. They are now telling me that I can have that but only if I pay more per month, dishonest practice if you aks me and it has taken me 2 months to get to the bottom of this one after an Engineer visit, phone calls and numerous online chats.
Highlighted
bigkenny
Wizz Kid
I suppose if you have the email as proof the balls in your court and you should get it at that price. I do think TT need to maybe rename their packages for newbie customers as if you dont know how it works you can easily be fooled into getting the wrong package.

Simpler wording of the TT deals might have sorted this for you at the start
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi @The snooper

Now that we have the correct number I can look at your original order.