cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

What happened to my renewal and upgrade to faster fibre??

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

Your estimated speed is 72mb and the router is actually in sync at 79mb.

Are you testing your speeds over a wired connection or over wifi ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi,

Just did 3 speed tests  and got 39mbps 29mbs and 41mbs,  so I don't understand where 72/79mbps is coming from?   Yesterday I was getting between 24mbps and 42mbps.   

These are not the speeds I was led to believe I would get when I was invited to renew and upgrade.  In fact, before the "upgrade" the speed was a steady 39mbps, which was what I was paying for.  I stopped using a wired connection last year.  My telephone line is perfectly OK.

Could these speeds be increased somewhere closer to talktalks promise please?

Thanks.

lily jamil
Highlighted

Hi

If you are performing speed tests using WiFi, this will always be slower because wifi is a transmission through the air, and is subject to many factors, local interference, other wifi signals or devices, the limitation of the device itself etc.

To give you an example.  My line is in sync at 65mb.  Wired I'm seeing speeds of around 62mb.

With my Pixel 4 phone close to the router, I get about 45mb.   There is nothing wrong with my Connection, this is normal, for wifi to give a lower result.

This is why speed tests should be performed with a device connected wired to the router to ascertain the true speed of the connection being delivered.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello,

Unfortunately speeds have been decreasing over the last few days.   I am now getting a constant 23-24mbps when using the ethernet cable, and between 4 and 8mbps over wireless.  Two weeks ago I complained because I was barely getting a faster speed than when I was on fibre (39mbs), then it went up to 49/50mbps, and now such speeds are merely a dream.  Your service centre is estimating my speeds at 74-80mbps, giving my actual speeds at 73mbps, saying it could be better!

Can someone explain to me why before the fasterfibre boost, I was getting 39mbps, which was the max, and since the boost on 24/8 I now find myself getting between 4-8mbps wireless, and 23/24 wired?  I have done nothing different from my end.  All the equipment is exactly the same, it is plugged in exactly the same.  I now need urgent help with this.

lily jamil
Highlighted

Hi

One of my tests is picking up a possible fault.

I've logged this out to BT Openreach for a Non Appointed engineer - Non appointed means the engineer will be dispatched to look at the line without requiring an appointment be made with you to visit your property.  

Thanks

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello Karl,

Thank you for sending an Openreach engineer to check outside the property.  I actually saw him from my window, and went out to speak to him.  He said he had found a fault on the line, and a fault in the box, which he fixed, but it might take a couple of days to settle down.  We also received a router from you, unfortunately this did not pick up any signal, it kept flashing orange for an hour, so we had to put our old one back.  Our speeds are now coming in at 28mbps wired and wireless (18mbps upload).   Its still a long way from the 70+ mbps I was told we would get, but we will give it another couple of days to see if it improves. Meanwhile if anything can be done from your end that would be appreciated.  Thank you.

lily jamil
Highlighted

Hi

Glad to hear the engineer arrived and has found issues on the line that have possibly been fixed.

I'll take a look at your line now and run a bunch of tests and get back to you shortly.

Regards,

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted

Hi

All tests are now clear, and the router is showing in sync at 79mb.

Turn wifi off on your laptop and run a speed test with the laptop connected to the router with a cable.  This will give a more accurate result of speeds into the router.

You can use Sam Knows Speed Test as this is as good as any other.  All speed tests will give different results, but the overall speed recorded should be around the same speed give or take a few mb.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips