Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

What is the current W-iFi Hub Firmware

10 REPLIES 10
SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor

I was wondering if someone could please confirm the latest Hub firmware, I'm currently on SG4K10002600t with GUI 3.7.5

No major issues but having only just obtained the router and also getting to know the device, I would like to confirm if the software/firmware is up to date.

I've noticed that connected devices are not always shown under the 5g wireless section, for example my iMac is currently connected to the internet as I type this but no sign of it is shown under 5g Wireless in the Dashboard, likewise my Music Streamer appears to be absent.

This appears to be a display issue because the devices are actually connecting and accessing the 5g network, it's just strange behaviour which I was not expecting and my previous Super Router always displayed connected devices, so is this a bug?

I don't appear to have any issues with getting "Friendly" names to stick though.

Thanks in advance.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @SiHancox 

The good news is two-fold.

First, your Wi-Fi Hub is on the current release software/firmware, ...2600t.

Second, there is an update in testing with TalkTalk colleagues. 

The update, due for wider testing soon, will address reported bugs that affect the current release.

My advice is just to use the Wi-Fi Hub as-is.  A satisfactory device for most home TalkTalk broadband connections but definitely lacking the internal elegance that the exterior promises. The next update should address the failings of the current software.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor

Thank you for the fast reply confirming I’m on latest firmware.

The Hub is performing well at the moment, early days but no complaints, nice to know issues (minor) are known and being addressed.

Thanks again.

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor

Sorry, forgot to ask, when the next release of software moves into wider testing, will that be available to the general public (in the form of beta), and following all the testing can you guess when it’s likely to go into general release (approximately).

Thanks.

Gondola
Community Star

...we're rarely briefed on dates for product launches and updates. Sometimes even the Community team isn't briefed e.g. the recent launch of Rakuten Movie Club for TalkTalk TV subscribers.

Interesting that you should ask as I was just reviewing a past request for more timely briefings.

The general process is that router developments get tested with TalkTalk staff first then a subset of customers then it's released for the whole customer base. The timescale to final release can vary considerably depending on feedback from testers.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor

Thanks, had to ask when I couldn’t find the info on web site, but had my suspicion that would be the answer, basically it will be ready when it’s ready!

But if TalkTalk could consider that posting some kind of firmware release schedule would be useful for their customers, even if it contained approx dates so we can get some idea of what and when it will likely happen, it might save questions being posted on the forum.

I appreciate that may come with its own problems in that giving too much info can lead to frustration, especially if dates are missed, but I’m sure it could be done in such a way as not to be too “precise”, for example Apple have beta development stages, from which a consumer can get some idea of how things are progressing, not perfect but better than knowing nothing in my view.

Just a thought, thanks for your time, much appreciated.

Highlighted
ferguson
Community Star

I agree that things could be better and I don't understand why at the very least TalkTalk don't publish latest firmware versions. They certainly used to and it would obviate the need for questions like yours. I think comparisons with Apple though, where software development is a massive part of its business, isn't realistic though and we cannot expect TalkTalk to follow a similar process.

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor

Point taken with comparison to Apple, just couldn’t think of a better alternative to put across my point of view as I was typing, still, hopefully with TalkTalk wanting to engage customers more, as indicated by the feedback system on the web site, may be they might consider what’s been discussed (if some of this gets back to them).

In the end though I suppose it’s a “nice to have”, and it doesn’t impact on how the hardware is currently performing (in my case anyhow), which as I’ve previously stated is very good indeed. Was transferring files over WiFi to the Aries Mini (Music Player) last night and couple of Gb took less than a couple of minutes, the old Super Router would of took all afternoon!

WiFi speed and coverage is a real improvement from the last router, hope others are realising same.

Community Team

Hi SiHancox 

Apologies for the delay. I can see that our Community Stars have answered your questions.

Unfortunately we don't provide a list of current firmware versions. I have fed this back to our Products Team to ask if this can be provided.

We have new FW in testing at the moment for the Wifi Hub and this should be available soon.

Thanks

Debbie

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor

Hi @OCE_Debbie 

Yes, @Gondola  and @ferguson  have answered my questions very promptly, but thank you for also replying.

It does appear TalkTalks somewhat "closed environment" with respect to firmware development is a little frustrating at times so any improvement on that front would be most welcome, for everyone in the Community 😉

Community Team

Hi SiHancox

Thanks for your reply.

I will feed this back to our Products Team.

Debbie