would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

What speed should I see?

51 REPLIES 51
Highlighted
Foxyladyaccountant
Team Player

I’m a little confused about speeds. I have 76mbps fibre, but when I am downloading, it usually says 3-4mbps. Is that right? Shouldn’t I see higher figures? I have devices that can use the ‘5’ version.

im getting a lot of drop outs and wired connection seems to be slower the WiFi? 

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Be kind. Be silly.
Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

Are you saying that wired connections are slower than than wireless ones, that is very unusual?

It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is.

To help diagnose this issue, please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password: admin        (unless you have set your own password).

If you use the HG633 & DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, they have their own unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information

On the DSL-3782 go to the home page & copy the stats from the DSL & IPv4 pages.

If you have the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub this can be seen via:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage Advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub

Click on the General tab then scroll down to the page to the xDSL section & copy & paste them into your reply.

Next can you also go to this speed checker (it is useful to have speed test figures taken at the same time as gathering the router's statistics):-

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

Alternatively use:-

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Do this on both wireless & wired (if you have wired), but with never more than one device connected at a time.

Please can you paste the results here?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Foxyladyaccountant
Team Player

Hi Keith, thank you for your reply.

I have just set up a new router - HG635.  

I am syncing onedrive (my laptop is 7th Gen i7 so is hopefully up to a decent job!) and when I hover over the One Drive icon, it is downloading at KB/s (anything between 27KB and 500KB so far) on wired connection. I am not sure if that's normal.  It is worse on wifi (presumably the old router was faulty when on wired, maybe - that was on PS4 connection test, will check that again later)

I do have other devices connected but they are all on standby and not in use (Apple TV, PS4, Ipad etc) - would this make a difference?

When I run speed tests on wired, it says my speed is 60MBPS - so I am confused as to why I only see KB figures, and the post was really to work out whether everything is in order.  Here is the info you mentioned, but this is with the idle devices connected.

DSL synchronization status :

Up
Connection status :
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s) :
Downstream line rate (kbit/s) :
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s) :
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s) :
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB) :
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB) :
Upstream interleave depth :
Downstream interleave depth :
Line standard :
VDSL
Upstream line attenuation (dB) :
Downstream line attenuation (dB) :
Upstream output power (dBm) :
Downstream output power (dBm) :
Channel type :
None
DSL up-time :
0 days 0 hours 51 minutes 39 seconds

Is this what you need?  Thanks again, really appreciate your time.  Just trying to understand things.

Michelle
Be kind. Be silly.
Highlighted
Foxyladyaccountant
Team Player

Hi again, Keith

I have now been around the house and switched everything else off. Wow they do add up!  

Speeds on One Drive now (I have to keep hovering over the icon, over and over) (wired)

67.4KB

137KB

4.6MB

3MB

252KB

75KB

318KB

1.7MB

838KB

102KB

195KB

166KB

371KB

51KB

So much the same as before.  I think the highest I have seen it, and that's not often is 6-8MB.

Here is the info from the router:

DSL synchronization status :

Up
Connection status :
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s) :
Downstream line rate (kbit/s) :
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s) :
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s) :
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB) :
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB) :
Upstream interleave depth :
Downstream interleave depth :
Line standard :
VDSL
Upstream line attenuation (dB) :
Downstream line attenuation (dB) :
Upstream output power (dBm) :
Downstream output power (dBm) :
Channel type :
None
DSL up-time :
0 days 0 hours 42 minutes 3 seconds
Be kind. Be silly.
Highlighted
Foxyladyaccountant
Team Player

I've run some checks on the PS4 (after switching off the laptop from the net). 

Wired connection speed 36MB

Wifi connection speed 13MB

So definitely must have been a faulty router where the wired connection speed being slower was concerned. It took about 5mins to download a 1.6GB update file on wired.

Be kind. Be silly.
Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

With OneDrive I expect that is showing the throughput in KBps or KiloBytes per second, whereas the speed is measured in Kbps or Mbps (Kilo or Mega bits per second). To convert bits to Bytes, you must divide by 8 e.g:-

64 bits per second / 8 = 8 Bytes per second

Any speed tests down whilst OneDrive is synchronising will not have full access to the bandwidth, unless the bandwidth used by OneDrive can be limited in the application. You can certainly do this with Google Drive which I use. Speed tests on the same PC as OneDrive may also suffer due to the priority assigned by Windows to OneDrive & the browser doing the speed test.

To be sure of anything, stop OneDrive from running & retest.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Foxyladyaccountant
Team Player

OK, thank you for explaining that 🙂

I have closed One Drive

Wired speed test = 60MB

Wifi speed test = 40MB

So after all this, are the speeds my One Drive is downloading at in order?  The laptop is a fresh install.  Dell Support logged in and tested everything yesterday, so no faults on hardware. Is there nothing wrong and I am just being a silly woman? LOL 

Be kind. Be silly.
Highlighted
Foxyladyaccountant
Team Player

Just to add to this.. https://www.download-time.com/ says it should take 14mins to download 10GB on 100MBPS... if we assume I was getting an average of 50MPBS speed, that suggests it should take half an hour... mine is taking hours and hours... which is why I started questioning my internet speed and laptop capabilities - simply so I could fix whatever was leaving me hanging about - after spending money on a decent laptop and fast fibre - time is money ;).  Something just doesn't seem right, but maybe it is my misundertanding 

Be kind. Be silly.
Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

OK so I may have clarified the difference between bytes & bits, but I have done nothing to solve the issues you experience. The problem is with your WiFi network, as the wifi download speed is a lot worse than the wired.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

The HG635 is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and if the HG635 a password of "admin" as well.

Then go to:-
"Customise my wireless network"

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

This still will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

Highlighted
dgsection
Team Player

BITS and Bytes are so different,

BITS are the binary digits network traffic is transmitted in, for example 10 BITS would be something like 1001000101

Bytes on the other hand are 8 BITS which make 'sense'

For example if you transmitted the letter A over a network it would be transmitted as the following 8 BITS 01000001 (a single Byte)

Highlighted
dgsection
Team Player

Network speed and file size differ, in that network speed is a representation of BITS (binary digits) in transit but a file is downloaded and stored as Bytes on your system.

What are Mbit/s (Mbps), kbit/s (kbps), MB/s, kB/s?

When you're describing the speed of your connection, the bit scale should be used. If you're describing how fast a file transferred, use bytes. Note, when you write these abbreviations they are case sensitive.

The bit scale - Connection Speed / Throughput

The smallest amount of information on a computer is called a bit. 1 kilobit (kbit) is 1000 bits, as "kilo" in the word suggests. 1 Megabit (Mbit) is 1000 kilobits or 1,000,000 bits. 1 Gigabit (Gbit) is 1000 Megabits. Far beyond your purpose in testing here, using the same scale you'll arrive at Terabit (Tbit), Petabit (Pbit), Exabit (Ebit), Zettabit (Zbit) and Yottabit (Ybit). e.g. When TestMy.net says your connection is 512 kbit/s, that's 512 kilobits per second. When you see 52 Mbit/s, that's 52 Megabits per second.

The byte scale - Binary File Transfer Speed

Here is where is can get a little confusing. Another scale is the byte scale. Bytes are used when talking about binary data, like files. The reason there's a difference is because in binary data the information is stored using coded symbols, each consisting of 8 bits of information. Early computer systems used 4-bit, 6-bit and even 7-bit binary coded decimal representations. By the 70's 8-bit was the standard architecture. The byte scale is different than the bit scale, each step up is by a factor of 1024 not 1000. Although, a common misconception is that this also applies to networking, it doesn't. In the context of networking speeds the factor is 1000 not 1024. This has more to do with sales and marketing and less to do with true binary law. Where the number of memory locations is always a power of 2 (e.g. 210 is 1024). Manufactures started selling their products using a factor of 1000 because it's easier for the consumer to understand. For instance, it can be pretty confusing to the lay person when you tell them that doubling 32K memory results in 65K. To alleviate the confusion new abbreviations were created to represent a conversion with a factor of 1024 (e.g. KiB, MiB, GiB). But this has not been adopted by everyone. So 1 kB can mean 1000 bytes or 1024 bytes depending on who you ask. A good rule of thumb is that if you're talking about memory allocation or storage use a factor of 1024. In the context of networking a factor of 1000 is industry standard. This confuses even the most knowledgeable computer technicians and there can be a lot of debate that surrounds the issue.

So now you should know that 1 byte is equal to 8 bits. 1 kilobyte (kB) is 1024 bytes. 1 Megabyte (MB) is 1024 kilobytes. 1 Gigabyte (GB) is 1024 Megabytes. But that 1 kB/s is equal to 1000 bps. 1 MB/s is 1000 kB/s. 1 GB/s is 1000 MB/s. Using the same scales you then arrive at Terabyte (TB) / Terabytes per second (TB/s), Petabyte (PB) / Petabytes per second (PB/s), Exabyte (EB) / Exabytes per second (EB/s), Zettabyte (ZB) / Zettabytes per second (ZB/s) and Yottabyte (YB) / Yottabytes per second (YB/s). e.g. When TestMy.net says your speed is 465 kB/s, that's 465 kilobytes per second. When you see 2.8 MB/s, that's 2.8 Megabytes per second. Because TMN is in the context of networking, conversion using a factor of 1000 bytes per kilobyte is used.

Your TestMy Speed Test Results

TestMy.net displays your results in both formats because some people want to know their connection speed (shown in kbit/s and Mbit/s). Others want to know the speed of their binary (file) transfer (shown in kB/s and MB/s). Some other websites may confuse you by displaying speeds in bps (bits per second, for instance) and people from other countries may abbreviate differently. TestMy.net will display your speeds using the correct up conversions and English abbreviations. Nobody ever says, "My connection is 50,000,000 bps" or "... 50,000 kbit/s"... you'd instead say 50 Mbit/s. Right? So, TestMy saves you time by converting your speeds automatically when necessary.

Reference Wikipedia

Highlighted
Foxyladyaccountant
Team Player

Hi Keith, thanks again for your continued help!  You really are a star - and very patient too LOL!

I have named my 2.4GHz and 5GHz already, as I always change my network name when I get a new router. 

I think my old router really had issues, you know.  The 5GHz was slower than the 2.4GHZ - but as I work in my loft, I always put this down to distance, and the dropouts seemed to happen more on the 5GHZ.  (I don't think I've had a dropout since setting up the new router today)

I am back in my loft now.  I've come off wired (downstairs at the router) and I am back on Wifi. And I have turned everything back on!  Mwahahaha!!  (they are all idle)

I hadn't actually tested the 5GHz, as I was wired.  I only tested the 2.4GHz. (silly girl).  I have run 3 tests in last 15 mins, and all show download speed of 60MBPS+. So that is definitely better.  Not bad for 2 floors up!  

Now thinking about it... While I was on wired (60MBPS speed test), it took me 23mins to download 1GB (yes I know, I am sad, I got my stopwatch out! LOL).  Compare this to the PS4 taking 5mins to download 1.6GB (wired, no other devices) - not sure if that tells us anything?

One Drive has finally finished syncing - but I do have folders which I don't sync, that I could use to test whether anything we do actually helps. And I have emailed One Drive and Dell Support just to see what they think of the file transfer rate (is that a better way to say it?!).  

And now to read about bits and bytes (thanks dgsection!)

Be kind. Be silly.
Highlighted
dgsection
Team Player

@Foxyladyaccountant 

posted:

Now thinking about it... While I was on wired (60MBPS speed test), it took me 23mins to download 1GB (yes I know, I am sad, I got my stopwatch out! LOL). Compare this to the PS4 taking 5mins to download 1.6GB (wired, no other devices) - not sure if that tells us anything?

Depending on the server or network you are downloading from can make a huge difference, the PS4 Network will be high capacity, but a random website could be limiting bandwidth, as bandwidth = money.

I would suggest trying https://testmy.net/ with a wired connection, it's non-flash based and will be a pretty accurate representation of what speed you are achieving (in the UK at least)

Highlighted
Foxyladyaccountant
Team Player

Surely Microsoft would have high capacity servers for their One Drive service? 

Be kind. Be silly.
Highlighted
dgsection
Team Player

You would assume so, but since Windows 10 Microsoft have started to use peoples computers to peer updates, unless you disable this manually.

goto:

windows logo (bottom left corner of the screen) /settings/update&security/windows update/advanced options/choose how updates are delivered/

Set this to OFF

Also, Microsoft control the bandwidth to onedrive, so you may have a 4MB/s upload but Microsoft determine what speed you get to upload, same as the download of updates

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Foxyladyaccountant 

Don't forget I can potentially help you more with the WiFi, just let me know. Of course, your setup with router 2 floors below is never going to be perfect!.

Keith

Highlighted
Foxyladyaccountant
Team Player

Awaiting your instruction 🙂

Be kind. Be silly.
Highlighted
Foxyladyaccountant
Team Player

Ugh, it deleted my smiley face so that comment looked rude! Sorry! (smiley face)

Be kind. Be silly.
Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

Please see my attached guide on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone & Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide, from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Photos" button on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

Highlighted
Foxyladyaccountant
Team Player

Ok, do I need to switch off all other devices and connect to wired?

Be kind. Be silly.