Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

What speed to expect?

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Last month my contract came up for renewal and I accepted the new offer. On offer was a faster download/upload speed... I was getting a D/L speed of 4.7MB/s  and surprisingly I'm still getting the same speeds....

So how is my new contract any better? Can I really expect to get a faster speed or do I just accept it is unlikely to get any faster? 

I have been a loyal TT customer for many years..

Cheers

Highlighted
Community Star

If these figures you quote are based on the router's downstream line rate, rather than a speed test, I don't see how a new contract will change anything from a technical perspective, unless you were given an upgrade.

Were you on ADSL before & now fibre, or were you on fibre & now have the fibre speed boost?

If, as I suspect, you were on ADSL before & are still are on ADSL, then your speed should be the same, likewise, if you were on fibre before & still are now, there should be no speed change.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Keith

I was on fibre previously and even though it's not what I would class as 'true' fibre (copper wire from pole to house) it was very stable and reliable...

Then I was offered 'faster fibre' with download speeds around 36-37Mb which is nearly 9 times faster than what I currently have....but it isn't.

Presumably someone will tell me that the figures are supposed to be Mbps, in which case my fibre will never be faster than the current speed...fortunately I recognise the difference between the two figures 😀

faster Fibre deal.JPG

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi digiman57,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks good.

Just to confirm, are you connected wired or wireless? Could you try switching the router off for a full 30 minutes and then run the speed test again please.

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle..

I am connected by cable and the filter is plugged in direct to the test socket on the master box.

I turned off the router as instructed and have found no difference...

Are Mbps and Mb/s the same thing? I don't think so personally but could be wrong...

If I am then where is my 'faster fibre' as promised?

I did 3 speed tests yesterday evening with 3 different companies...

TalkTalk gave me 37.6Mbps

Broadbandspeedchecker gave me 38.2Mb/s

Broadband.co.uk gave me 37.5 Mb/s

so there is no problem with the speed, just the way of describing the speed..but if my router's downstream line rate is 4,7Mb/s (which multiplied by 8 gives me approx 36Mbps) how come I don't see any improvement? I have not changed the router and have not been offered an updated router for this new 'faster fibre' so where do I benefit?

Maybe i'm just getting old and my brain can't compute properly lol 😃 😃😃

Highlighted

Hi digiman57

"Are Mbps and Mb/s the same thing? I don't think so personally but could be wrong..."

Yes they are the same (Megabits per second)

MBps (capital 'B') generally represent MegaBytes per second which would need to be multiplied by 8 to get Megabits per second - where are you seeing the 4.7MB/s?

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I'm seeing the 4.7Mb/s in uTorrent, that's the highest it's gone up to, at least in the past 12-18 when I first had fibre......yet it's not increased in the last couple of weeks since I started my new contract for the 'faster fibre', any idea why that would be?

When Broadband companies announce speeds of up to 38 Mbps, most people will think wow that's a lot faster then I already have, but in reality it isn't always the case....and then you get the broadband checker companies who proclaim the speeds is 38Mb/s instead of 38Mbps, as you can appreciate there is a lot of difference, no wonder people get confused...

Ah well, I don't think I will see any increase if i'm already at the 'supposedly' maximum speed 😞

I've been with TalkTalk for around 10 years and have never really had any issues but this one is beginning to worry me....

Highlighted

Hi digiman57,

Thanks for the update. Torrent speeds will always be lower than sync speed due to how this works (peer to peer) How is overall performance of the connection for browsing/streaming/etc?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle

I have absolutely no complaints about the connection or browsing/streaming..:)

I don't think I'm going to get a satisfactory answer, and that is no disrespect to you and your team. Yes, Mb/s and Mbps may well be the same when the x8 comes in to the equation but.......

....... 37 Mb download speed is not the same as 37 Mbps download speed is it? And that's what this post was originally about..( see attachment with original post)

I think I'm just going to let this go, it won't get resolved and life is too short to worry about it...

Because I live in a rural area 'proper' fibre is unlikely to happen here for many more years. I'm happy with my current speed & reliability but am disappointed that Internet Providers seem to make all these promises and fail to live up to them 🤔

Kindest regards

Martin

Highlighted

Hi digiman57,

"Yes, Mb/s and Mbps may well be the same when the x8 comes in to the equation but......."

No, they are the same, the x8 doesn't come into it. there just a 'p' to represent per in one and a '/' to represent per in the other - they both mean Megabits per second

"37 Mb download speed is not the same as 37 Mbps download speed is it?"

Well we wouldn't really say 37Mb download speed, you would have to quantify over what time period (37Mbps) or it would be a bit like says my cars top speed is 100 miles rather than a 100 miles per hour

The 4.7MBps showing in your torrent client is just the way that the client reports the speed (Megabytes per second) - you can probably change this in the client setting to report the speed as Megabits per second

Chris

Highlighted
Community Star

Speed has always been measured in bits per second, be it Kilo, Mega or Giga bps.

File size and throughput  are expressed in Bytes per second. This is normally differentiated from bits per second by the use of a capital B, Bps.

1 Byte contains 8 bits.

Therefore @OCE_Chris is 100% correct.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hijack the topic. Do TalkTalk allow their customers to use p2p download(such as utorrent)? It seems that BT and Virgin have banned it?

Highlighted

Hi

Checked our list of blocked sites, and nothing listed for Utorrent as yet, however if a Court order was recently issued then we would of course comply with this.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@digiman57 

You cannot (well you can but really, really shouldn't) use "random" external web sites to measure the performance of your local configuration.

You have no idea about their hardware configuration, bandwidth availability, processor capacity or workload etc. etc. They are optimised to give the best performance they can, not optimised to give the best performance your own configuration is capable of sustaining.

To measure your own performance capabilities you should only ever use services optimised to give those results, i.e. the router itself or a purpose built performance tester - the results of which seem to indicate acceptable performnce.

The argument about bits or bytes is totally irrelevant in this context.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Well, thank you for the enlightening comments...I accept that I am wrong on most accounts and concede defeat gracefully.....

So on the information provided,  I am still getting the same speeds from new 'faster fibre' contract as I was getting from the previous contract  ...this is actually around £3 cheaper so apart from the price I am no better off.

I think we can consider this as a closed case now, thanks again for all the comments...every day is a learning day 👨‍🎓 👍

One last question before I depart, can anyone recommend a piece of software that will monitor my download speeds please?